Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Thoughts on the new Yaris and a question for help

Yugguy1970

Hello all.

The missus has just got  her new 2021 Yaris design and I've had a drive of it for the first time.  

I'm really impressed with how quiet and smooth it is, and I love that it has all the safety tech of its bigger brothers. Good turn of speed too if you need it.

It's also very cool that despite having the world's smallest fuel tank 🤣, it's got a range of 540 miles on a full tank.  Amazing.  The mpg just seems to go up and up.

The rear light clusters look very cool.

One thing I don't like is that it is too easy to select B.  B should be at the side so that D is the last setting on the stick when you move it down.

Also although we've looked in all the settings we can't seem to find out how to completely turn off LTA, like we can in the RAV.  It always still bongs.

Can anyone help with this?

Cheers.

15 hours ago, Stopeter44 said:

I am still waiting for my Yaris IV, but I've been working through the users manual, available from the Toyota UK website :

Yaris Owner's Manual

The LTA system is discussed starting at p. 220. 

This can be customised at start up. Further in the manual at page 436.

The following features can be customised:

• Lane Centring Function : On/Off
  • Alert Type : Buzzer/Steering wheel vibration
  • Alert Sensitivity : High/Standard
  • Vehicle Sway Warning : On/Off
  • Vehicle Sway Warning Sensitivity : High/Standard/Low

Wouldn't turning off Lane Centring and/or Vehicle Sway Warning mitigate all, or some of, the intrusive warnings ?

LTA customisation.png

Is from another thread ……

https://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/197760-yaris-hybrid-2020-tnga-hybrid-system-malfunction/page/10/#comments

• Like 1

Hi yes, got the manual and those pages but no matter what we do we can't seem to switch it off completely.

I almost wonder if it's a fault.

• Confused 1

IIRC it defaults to on when you switch on? You soon get used to it and learn to work with the driver assists rather than over relying or feeling like the car is working against you.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, flash22 said:

Only a dealer/techstream can change the default state, Default is ON

OK. They must have changed that between writing the manual and the production runs, because in the customisation pages show three categories for changing defaults and settings. A = Multimedia display (Toyota Touch), B = Meter screen, C = Dealer/Techstream, and for LTA it's shown as a "B" option. Maybe somebody has had the default changed. After all, it can apparently be done on a RAV 4, and on my sis-in-law's very new Clio V, either she turned it off herself or had the dealer do it. So, I would have thought it possible.

That's annoying, I hate compulsory.  Give me the choice.

It's not in the owner's manual also if you read the manual it does state O what is an optional setting what's dependent on the market, if you flick through the menu system, some settings are not where you think you would find them

• Thanks 1

Not strictly on subject, but ... here goes:

I was reading through a French forum about the Yaris IV, and one poster expressed surprise that the doors do not automatically lock when starting off. (I looked through the EN/FR manuals to see if I could find any mention, but didn't).

is that true ?

Edited by Stopeter44
additional info

That's true, haven't seen any lock settings like there are in the RAV.

46 minutes ago, Yugguy1970 said:

That's true, haven't seen any lock settings like there are in the RAV.

... and that is because it is not a legal requirement in the UK (as it is in the USA for example)

It's just another function that isn't programmed, just like dipped mirrors in reverse there are a lot of functions buried in the service manual but it is not in plain English

• Like 2

Hi Bob,

In this Yaris Auto lock thread you linked to another manual (for the non hybrid versions), but I still couldn't find anything that explicitly mentions and Auto-Lock function for the doors.

I started late with driving (26yo) but since discovering Auto Lock (in the USA), it's been available on the last two cars I have bought (Clio III & Peugeot 208). When I look at all the automatic functions on the Yaris, it just staggers me that Autolock isn't one of them ! 🤔

Edited by Stopeter44
Posting interrupted, and typos, etc
  • Like 1

Need to call the dealer when they open at 10.  Annoyed that I missed it on pickup but there's no jack.  Got the spare wheel and the brace but no jack.

So yes, that's what the service manager thought, but no.  Another of the sales guys was walking past and said "it's behind that plastic panel in the boot".

So we looked and there it was.

I guess I should have rtfmed 🤣

On 9/25/2021 at 9:34 PM, flash22 said:

It's just another function that isn't programmed, just like dipped mirrors in reverse there are a lot of functions buried in the service manual but it is not in plain English

So you think that autolock can be enabled through OBD ?

4 hours ago, RickyC said:

So you think that autolock can be enabled through OBD ?

I have two OBDII dongles and software tools: Carista & OBDLink LX and "autolock" is not available in either of the presented "customisation" options on our UK version 2020/21 Yaris. It may be available via Toyota's TechStream (which I also have on a laptop) but I have yet to find any reference to it in any of the relevant ECU (there are 40+ of them in the new Yaris) customisation options but when I get time, I will keep looking....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks.  I would like the option to be able to set it.

And unset LTA 🤣

It depends on the version of techstream you have, if it's the clone software it doesn't support the newer cars yet

it's not 40 modules, the interface has been broken down into (sort of) logical categories

I'm sure the modules are capable of doing the functions, It's just not programmed or the techstream doesn't have the PID, not tried it with Toyota yet but with GM you could manually set the car model manually in GDS and access other pid's

• Thanks 1

Another slight annoyance and it is odd, but on the infotainment unit the buttons are all on the opposite side to where they are on the RAV.

It's weird as otherwise it's pretty much identical in function apart from missing nav.

Yes, also had to get used to the change in button location from mk3 to mk4 yaris.

I wonder if there might be any way to set auto handbrake hold to remember /default on and vehicle distance setting in adaptive cruise control to also remember last setting as they always default back.

• Thanks 1

Handbrake can be set to automatically activate when you put in P.  Probably that setting is the default.  In any case you can change the setting simply pulling the handbrake for 3 seconds while pushing brake pedal.  To reset di the contrary.  The setting is kept until you change it.

I'm no sure if the distance setting on ACC is saved or is reset at each startup.

20 hours ago, RickyC said:

Handbrake can be set to automatically activate when you put in P.  Probably that setting is the default.  In any case you can change the setting simply pulling the handbrake for 3 seconds while pushing brake pedal.  To reset di the contrary.  The setting is kept until you change it.

I'm no sure if the distance setting on ACC is saved or is reset at each startup.

Using the method you describe, it doesn't work on mine.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links