Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Brake lights not working 2008 Rav 4 T180 4.3

Mark O

Perhaps a complex problem so bear with me here please! Essentially the brake lights do not work. I also have the ABS and brake warning lights on at the dashboard. I believe the ABS or VSC - anti skid??? share a circuit with the brake lights, and that when an open line is detected the ABS and brake warning lights come on.

I have managed to acquire the fault codes 46 and 49 which seem to indicate that it is brake light fuses, brake light switch circuit, brake light relay, brake switch, ABS/traction control actuator.

So trying to proceed logically

Fuses 2 x 10A ---OK

bulbs - both OK

Brake light switch - OK

Brake light/stop light control relay - basic 5 pin relay in box- does not seem to check out. As I understand things, there should be pretty much no resistance between pins 4 and 3 as voltage feed normally comes in from the brake switch to pin 4 of the relay and out to pin 3 and then to the lights. There is actually high resistance or an open line. Aha I hear you say, and therein may lie the fault - BUT- there is only 2V at pin 4 when the brake switch is actuated. I assume - maybe incorrectly - that this should be 12V for the lights? There perhaps should also be 12V at pin 5 - when the ABS energises the relay  - again less than 2V. I am confused!

I have ordered up a second hand relay ( £2.50 ) so that may answer -  I refuse to pay the 100 quid the stealers were asking! 

If the relay does not cure things, any advice as to where to look next would be most welcome.   

Try resting the ABS. If you have a fault on the ABS so you need to resolve this first. Swapping electronic parts for used is never a good idea.

Check brake fluid level but could also be a faulty ABS sensor or wiring or even ABS module itself. If you are only getting 2V at the switch are you testing between +Ve and a good earth? Verify the earth by testing continuity between 2 two good earth points such as the chassis and a ground wire. I would also get the correct Brake / ABS circuit wiring diagram for your car. ABS faults can be tricky so good luck.

https://www.rav4world.com/threads/reset-abs-light-without-taking-to-a-garage.305883/

It is not clear if I have a fault on the ABS. It is clear however that I have no brake lights, and also clear that if there is a fault there then that affects the ABS warning lights as the shared circuit detects an open line and warning lights come on if there is an open line.

I checked the voltage at the pins from the pin across to the negative of the Battery, but for sure it could be a poor earth - somewhere!   

Some progress. I have nothing at the brake switch so it suggests a poor connection between the fuse and the switch. The only thing in that circuit is the connector itself. I have a diagram of where the connector is, but it is not at all clear - connector a38 I think. Any help most appreciated as to how to proceed.

On 10/3/2021 at 6:51 PM, Mark O said:

Some progress. I have nothing at the brake switch so it suggests a poor connection between the fuse and the switch. The only thing in that circuit is the connector itself. I have a diagram of where the connector is, but it is not at all clear - connector a38 I think. Any help most appreciated as to how to proceed.

http://www.trav4.net/stop_light_switch_circuit-945.html

Have you checked the relay IG2? If that is faulty you wont get any volts at the switch. Check the coil resistance of the relay

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links