Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Corolla Verso T Spirit D-4D Year: 2005 Engine: 1CDFTV: 2000CC Diesel Turbo lacking power, particularly going up the hill.

Soheil

I'm new to the Toyota Club and would be grateful if anyone could point me to potential fix for my:

Verso T Spirit D-4D

Year:2005

ENGINE: 1CDFTV - 2000CC DIESEL TURBO

Manual gearbox

lacking power, particularly when going up the hill.

The car was being used for short distances in town for some time.

Then the engine light came on, YAW Rate Sensor was changed, still running very sluggish.

3 of the 4 Glow Plugs had gone dead.

Changed all 4 but was still running very slow and smoking.

The mechanic cleaned the Exhaust system, which made improvements.

We have used spay can, spraying the air flow in the EGR valve path, but the car still does not have the power it used to have.

I have added number Diesel additives to the tank, and whilst the car can go up to around 80 mph, but it certainly slows down as soon as it comes to going up the hill.

I must change down gear, push the Rev up to very high to keep the momentum. 

Monitoring the engine with a computer does not show any errors.

Should I buy a new EGR valve, and have it changed?

or could be the Turbo, which is quite expensive 😞?

Incidentally, I recently bought a newer Year 2015 Verso 4-D4 1.6 litre (which I have register in this club and has had its Toyota Recall fix relating to EGR valve overheating).

But the problem I am discussing here is related to our older Year 2005 2.0 D-4D Diesel.

Thanks again

What mileage has your 2005 Verso done? Has the fuel filter ever been changed or checked for water ingress?

• 3 weeks later...

I hate to say this, but this is a can of worms. Been there and going through it myself with the old Avensis (2004). Same engine.

You will do your research here and the obvious stuff and cheaper stuff are the ones to go for first.

Classic ones are:

fuel filters (every year these are replaced)

Air filters (more or less the same)

EGR are renowned for causing issues and some have said to clean it every year. I did but you could still tell the valve was sticking. Replaced it last month with an after market one off eBay. I did notice the difference when the temp came up and the valve clicked over but no major power difference. Just smoother. (£60 part and an easy job - two pipes, socket and two nuts and one bolt). Half an hour if that.

MAF sensor . Change this a couple of weeks back. After market part and eBay again £31. Three minute job and two srews and a plug. Cleaned the original but made no difference. I would prefer OE but prices are stupid (not bad for this though - Denso £90). This did make a difference too. More perkier.

Biggest difference when I first got the car five years back was a double dose of Forte diesel turbo cleaner (black bottles). About £24 for two off eBay and it gets this every year too. It seemed to clear the muck out a bit (less than half a tank and two went in).

Still not there though.

MAP sensor. Changed this morning with an aftermarket part and it was a fail. Limp mode and lights on. £30 part but genuine these are silly money - £150+ especially when you are going through the list.

Golden rule easy and cheaper jobs first.

The problem is codes or lack of them. A friend of mine is AA and he couldn't read anything (years on the spanners before the AA too). Although just come back from a another mate and he has a code indicting the vacuum solenoid valve for the turbo. Intermittent fault. This does tie with symptons slightly too, there is a fault there although I don't think it will cure the lack of power.

I might be coming from another angle on this though as the other two cars are significantly more powerful in the first place. Not expecting the earth, but I do think it still isn't runing right.

Finally, there is also the infamous SCV on the fuel pump. Mine has the single one although there are the ones with two (red and green). Probably the last port of call as they are they are more expensive parts to replace (£200 for genuine ones although £100 for after markets on the pair and £60 or so for the single silver one)

After that I give up as it runs, but not as it should. Given the age, mileage and mickey mouse prices on the remaining potential items, it will have to do.

These are old school motors and not particularly powerful although I think they run best at 2k revs and you have to use the gears to keep it there or abouts for hills etc.

I would:

1) air/fuel filter it (especially if not in a while and every year there after)

2) Double dose the turbo cleaner and give it some stick with the half tank you give it with.

Still not there then

3) EGR and MAF

After that a bit of head scratching. 

But SCV and perhaps the tubo vacuum boost valve now that I have this fault. If the variable vanes are working either cacked up with carbon (the turbo cleaner helped) or the actuator isn't working correctly due to the vaccum valve sticking, it is going to be down on power.

I have had this car 5 years now and the lady owner (I know) before hand since new. Lots of cheap supermarket fuel and lack of heavy right foot doesn't help hence the turbo cleaner first of all. Since then always shell/BP plus millers fuel addictive which I have used for years.

This wasn't a fault that started five years ago as the EGR clean and turbo cleaner sorted that one out. Symptons of power dying, smoke out the back all kicked in with operating temperature (EGR). Since then it must have degraded over time until this year it has become more apparent that things aren't right again.

Good luck. I am not a spanner man and there are many more on here more suitably qualified.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/27/2021 at 6:24 AM, Corolla2004 said:

What mileage has your 2005 Verso done? Has the fuel filter ever been changed or checked for water ingress?

Thank you for your reply.

It ha sdone just over 100K Miles.

Yes, Fule filter has been changed regularly.

On 10/14/2021 at 5:54 PM, Husbandofstinky said:

I hate to say this, but this is a can of worms. Been there and going through it myself with the old Avensis (2004). Same engine.

You will do your research here and the obvious stuff and cheaper stuff are the ones to go for first.

Classic ones are:

fuel filters (every year these are replaced)

Air filters (more or less the same)

EGR are renowned for causing issues and some have said to clean it every year. I did but you could still tell the valve was sticking. Replaced it last month with an after market one off ebay. I did notice the difference when the temp came up and the valve clicked over but no major power difference. Just smoother. (£60 part and an easy job - two pipes, socket and two nuts and one bolt). Half an hour if that.

MAF sensor . Change this a couple of weeks back. After market part and ebay again £31. Three minute job and two srews and a plug. Cleaned the original but made no difference. I would prefer OE but prices are stupid (not bad for this though - Denso £90). This did make a difference too. More perkier.

Biggest difference when I first got the car five years back was a double dose of Forte diesel turbo cleaner (black bottles). About £24 for two off ebay and it gets this every year too. It seemed to clear the muck out a bit (less than half a tank and two went in).

Still not there though.

MAP sensor. Changed this morning with an aftermarket part and it was a fail. Limp mode and lights on. £30 part but genuine these are silly money - £150+ especially when you are going through the list.

Golden rule easy and cheaper jobs first.

The problem is codes or lack of them. A friend of mine is AA and he couldn't read anything (years on the spanners before the AA too). Although just come back from a another mate and he has a code indicting the vacuum solenoid valve for the turbo. Intermittent fault. This does tie with symptons slightly too, there is a fault there although I don't think it will cure the lack of power.

I might be coming from another angle on this though as the other two cars are significantly more powerful in the first place. Not expecting the earth, but I do think it still isn't runing right.

Finally, there is also the infamous SCV on the fuel pump. Mine has the single one although there are the ones with two (red and green). Probably the last port of call as they are they are more expensive parts to replace (£200 for genuine ones although £100 for after markets on the pair and £60 or so for the single silver one)

After that I give up as it runs, but not as it should. Given the age, mileage and mickey mouse prices on the remaining potential items, it will have to do.

These are old school motors and not particularly powerful although I think they run best at 2k revs and you have to use the gears to keep it there or abouts for hills etc.

I would:

2) Double dose the turbo cleaner and give it some stick with the half tank you give it with.

Still not there then

3) EGR and MAF

But SCV and perhaps the tubo vacuum boost valve now that I have this fault. If the variable vanes are working either cacked up with carbon (the turbo cleaner helped) or the actuator isn't working correctly due to the vaccum valve sticking, it is going to be down on power.

I have had this car 5 years now and the lady owner (I know) before hand since new. Lots of cheap supermarket fuel and lack of heavy right foot doesn't help hence the turbo cleaner first of all. Since then always shell/BP plus millers fuel addictive which I have used for years.

This wasn't a fault that started five years ago as the EGR clean and turbo cleaner sorted that one out. Symptons of power dying, smoke out the back all kicked in with operating temperature (EGR). Since then it must have degraded over time until this year it has become more apparent that things aren't right again.

Good luck. I am not a spanner man and there are many more on here more suitably qualified.  

Thank you so much for your extensive efforts.

I shall try your suggestion staring from lower cost one's 1st

Thanks again 🙂

• 2 months later...
On 10/24/2021 at 10:07 PM, Soheil said:

Thank you so much for your extensive efforts.

I shall try your suggestion staring from lower cost one's 1st

Thanks again 🙂

Still not there then

3) EGR and MAF

---------------------------------------

Done all the above suggetsed and still scratching my head as the car is not driving like it used to.

Lacks power particularly up the hill and the only way is to change down a gear and full Accelerate 😞

• 1 year later...
On 04/01/2022 at 12:28, Soheil said:

1) filtro de ar/combustível (especialmente se não for em algum momento e todos os anos depois)

2) Dose duas vezes o aspirador turbo e dê um pouco de pau com o meio tanque que você der.

Ainda não está lá então

3) EGR e MAF

Depois disso, um pouco de coçar a cabeça. 

---------------------------------------

Feito tudo o que foi sugerido acima e ainda coçando a cabeça, pois o carro não está dirigindo como antes.

Falta potência principalmente em subidas e a única maneira é reduzir uma marcha e acelerar totalmente 😞

Hello,

Managed to solve ? Mine has the same symptoms... there are times when it's more intense. Foot down and he doesn't move! I've already changed it, diesel filter, air, EGR cleaning and everything remains. It's not a constant situation! It's uncertain!

• 3 months later...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links