Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Replacing Wiper Blades

venomx

It’s a penetration fluid that evaporates, it cleans as well. Clean cloth, spray the cloth, wipe the blade, gets rid of road scum. I don’t do it regularly, mostly the clean is via washing the car as normal, but perhaps once per year, mid winter a quick wipe as explained.

All I can say, I have tried it as I detailed, spray on a cloth and wipe blade. It worked for me, it was a suggestion which individuals can decide if they want to try or not. I am ok with that.

The old rear arm was a pain to get off but we managed it in the end by sawing part of the bolt off. Got the new arm and it works great !

On 9/30/2021 at 12:19 PM, bathtub tom said:

Wd40 contains oil!

That's why I asked Tom. If it works for Joe, that's fine.

I only use a damp (water!) cloth to wipe the rubber insert's edge. Vinegar should work. That is the old and trusted medium for windscreen cleaning too.

https://www.wd40.com/uses/ :thumbsup:

WD-40 red cap it’s not recommended for use on any rubber and plastic components, may cause swelling and deterioration. WD-40 yellow cap silicone based spray is specifically designed for that job and works really great on cleaning and lubricating exactly these parts. I use myself each year to treat all rubber seals on each door including boot and bonnet and never had any issues opening any of them even in the coldest mornings, plus they still look good after many years of use 👍 Wiper Blades even perfectly clean and treated once the rubber has done some time of work became not flat anymore, not seen by human eye or felt on touching but zigzag like shapes on micro levels and will smear the windscreen, replacing it’s the best. New rubber also has a graphite coating that helps smoother movements and properly bed in of the new wipers. Cheap car washes that spray some sort of chemicals for no reason on your car and windows usually shorten your wiper life by half., avoid if you can or ask not to spray that things., just jet wash and simple car shampoo. 👍 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400ml-WD-40-Silicone-Lubricant-Spray-Can-Non-Staining-High-Pressure-Smart-Straw-/154342516733?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m2548.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

So.

I thought i'd give changing the front ones a go and I got there in the end but....

First time round ( on the drivers side ) I put the blades facing outwards rather than in to the window ( idiot )

It then took 20  minutes or so of head scratching to take it off. With some force with pliers

I then tried again, after taking the blade off, but this time I  clipped it into the wrong part 🤬

Eventually I had to snap the connector ( which came with the blades ) Go back to the shop, get another one.. And this time I figured out exactly how to remove and install it and now I have two brand new blades at the front ( and rear )

The left ( smaller blade ) seems perfect. The right one does wobble a tiny bit, however it is firmly clipped into place and cleans the window properly. Is this normal ? Perhaps it needs to be broken in a bit ?

1 hour ago, venomx said:

So.

I thought i'd give changing the front ones a go and I got there in the end but....

First time round ( on the drivers side ) I put the blades facing outwards rather than in to the window ( idiot )

It then took 20  minutes or so of head scratching to take it off. With some force with pliers

I then tried again, after taking the blade off, but this time I  clipped it into the wrong part 🤬

Eventually I had to snap the connector ( which came with the blades ) Go back to the shop, get another one.. And this time I figured out exactly how to remove and install it and now I have two brand new blades at the front ( and rear )

The left ( smaller blade ) seems perfect. The right one does wobble a tiny bit, however it is firmly clipped into place and cleans the window properly. Is this normal ? Perhaps it needs to be broken in a bit ?

We are always learning new things, don’t worry about it. The wiper that wobble it’s not fitted properly, when fitting you should feel and hear a click from the clip and the wiper should be secured stable to the wiper arm, if not you can loose it while using the wipers. Undo and try again, sometimes some wipers are easy to get in some are more difficult. 👍

• Thanks 1

It's fitted properly alright. Both sides are fitted the same, I definitely heard a click when I pulled it upwards towards me into place. It does clean the window perfectly so i'll leave it for now ( MOT and Service next week so any problems I can ask the mechanic )

• Thanks 1

Tested the wipers out and they work really well. However because one wiper is rightly smaller than the other, it misses a tiny part of the windscreen ( I've circled around the area ) Is this a problem ?

20211001_172009.jpg

15 minutes ago, venomx said:

Tested the wipers out and they work really well. However because one wiper is rightly smaller than the other, it misses a tiny part of the windscreen ( I've circled around the area ) Is this a problem ?

20211001_172009.jpg

Nope, that’s ok and happens to all cars. 👍

• Thanks 1

Yeah all conventional wipers do that; Only ones that don't are the fancy cantilevered single blade ones (Would have preferred one of those on my Yaris!) and the opposed-sweep wipers (Will become rarer as they can't sweep the centre camera area behind the mirror)

OK thanks guys. Hopefully it passes the MOT next week. Just concerned about the slight wobble on the drivers side. Really weird as both sides are fitted identically

Does it matter (  for the drivers side one )  which side is left or right ?? Or can the blade below fit left or right ( on the drivers side )

20211001_183950.jpg

Turns out I put the drivers side blade on the wrong way. So I went to Halfords and got the blade off for me ( with some serious force, I was unable to do itt )  and then got a much better Bosch blade instead.

Might be a silly question but my rear wiper doesn't go 180degrees. More like 120degrees, is this normal ?

19 hours ago, venomx said:

Turns out I put the drivers side blade on the wrong way. So I went to Halfords and got the blade off for me ( with some serious force, I was unable to do itt )  and then got a much better Bosch blade instead.

Might be a silly question but my rear wiper doesn't go 180degrees. More like 120degrees, is this normal ?

Yes that is correct, you only learn these things if you do them for yourself, If you don't try, you will never learn - How hard can it be if a Halford's employee can do it 😉

• Haha 2

I've just replaced my front wiper. Also tried to fit a new blade to the rear. Whether this is a one off, no idea?

The intended new blade is a Valeo VR38. In spite of the Yaris Mk 3 (2011 on)  listed that it fits. It is the correct length, 300mm, but the diameter of the pivot is too small and it does not "click" in position to lock it when returned to operating position. Refitted the old blade tremporarily because I wouldn't trust the Valeo blade to stay on the arm!

This one but not purchased from them. https://windscreenwipersdirect.co.uk/vr38-valeo-rear-wiper-12-300mm.html When entering car details they do list that as the correct one for the rear.

Because of the puzzling edit feature, I can't edit my post!

Spot the difference. Valeo on the right. According to them "original". Not in this case.:laugh: That's like the original, on the left.

rear wipe resized.jpg

14 hours ago, flash22 said:

Bosch H309 👍 direct fit no issue, imo they're better than oem

Thanks. Ordered one yesterday Bob. I think I used one previously.

It must be for the Jap version - so listed incorrectly, even tho it lists it as "Yaris 3"

I will see what one I have on the shelf

It's a Bosch H309