Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2008 Yaris power windows and boot

brentstarburst

I've just bought a 2008 Yaris 1.3, 3 door, petrol with 98,500 miles on it. Partial service history.

I've a few questions that hopefully someone would know....

The passenger window, works fine on the passenger side with switch. From the driver side, although it goes down fine, you can only get it to raise in the 'half' position on the switch, not pulling it all the way up...is that normal?

Please don't laugh, but how the hell does the boot and parcel shelf all work? I can see flaps and velcro, the bit covering an empty chamber above the spare tyre seems to have bits that need to go somewhere? jack seems to be missing, is there a particular one I should get?

Lastly, does the Yaris have a chain cambelt? (I'd read that somewhere) Not sure if I should have someone look at it to make sure it's okay? 

Thanks for any help/advice!

1.3 has a timing chain It should last the life of the car, clean and lube the window rubbers, Not sure about the boot carpet

The jack lives under the passenger seat - slide the seat forward - you may have to remove the plastic cover, and loosen the jack to remove it from the mount

40 minutes ago, flash22 said:

1.3 has a timing chain It should last the life of the car, clean and lube the window rubbers, Not sure about the boot carpet

The jack lives under the passenger seat - slide the seat forward - you may have to remove the plastic cover, and loosen the jack to remove it from the mount

Thanks for your reply :-)

Okay so should I get a garage to check over the chain or should it be fine?

I'll have a look for that jack.

What I don't understand about the windows is that raising the switch at 'half' raises the window smoothly, it's just at full pulling the switch up, it doesn't work?? Is that switch fault?

It could be any number of issues - clean and lube the window rubbers, if not used the rubber goes sticky and grabs the window, if left it can burn the motor out or wear the internal gears

the way the windows work is the power is fed direct to the motors the switches are low current, the window switches are a simple on/off switch

there is a chance the motor is weak and or there is a limit switch/current detect problem (electronics are part of the motor)

when you look at the window mechanism, make sure the tracks are clear, lube the central pivot point, clean the side channels and spray with a silicone spray lube.  Connect the switch and observe the window moving up and down and look out for any areas its get stuck.  The sound of the motor will also indicate where and when it is under load

On the back of the rear seats are levers that allow you to slide the back seat forwards and backwards to provide more legroom/bootspace as and when you need it. The velcro covers the gap between parcel shelf and seat when back seat is fully forwards.