Do Not Sell My Personal Information

205 50 15 tyres

corradovr6

Has anyone used this size as a replacement for the original 185 55 15 at all?  I've got a brand new pair but just unsure if there will be any rubbing or otherwise adverse effect on drive/handling.  Also would these physically be too wide for the rims (are they 6J?)?

Looking on a tyre size calculator the o.d. and sidewall is pretty close, just the width is obviously 20mm wider.   

thanks 

My question to you is, why bother? Here is the result of your change...

image.thumb.png.6f98fd765655ebded0aca9374addbb05.png

??

Thanks for that - used a similar calculator to that. 

Two need replacing and I have 2x205 tyres. Have you or anyone tried this size with any adverse effect? Maybe tyre roll on harder turn ins, or scrubbing on full lock?

No, I haven't tried that particular swap but I would have thought that you would hardly notice such a small difference...

My advice is not to go for that change and only ever fit tyre and wheels that are recommended by the manufacturer even on different specs and engine variations but the same make and model. If you use these 205 tyres you will feel the car is heavy on acceleration, you will loose some mpg 3-4, and your insurance needs to be advised as this is off original settings. Better sell it and buy all new oem size tyres. 👍

Yeah they should fit okay; The Mk1 is a bit less sensitive to tyre width changes than later models of Yaris as it has a relatively short rack (The Mk2's longer rack gives it a tighter turning circle so it's a bit more prone to scrubbing if wider tyres are used, but even then a 2cm difference is unlikely to cause a problem)

I only say should, because IIRC the T-Sport is lowered compared to the normal Mk1's, but even then I can't imagine 1cm either side would be enough to cause an issue.

I had some 'breakers yard special'* 195's on steel rims for a while while my alloys were being repaired and powdercoated and it made no noticeable difference from what i remember so expect you'll be okay too as the dimensions are similar enough as makes no difference...

*i.e. hot garbage

Stock T-sport wheels are 5,5j wide, 195/55 or 195/50 are a common upgrade but 205 are too wide for such a narrow alloy.

• Like 2

thanks Lani, thats the info i was looking for.  Indeed 205 is too wide for 5.5, i was of the impression they were 6J.

Ok so its off to get some 195 50 15 tyres.  Quite a bit cheaper than the 185 55 15.

• Like 1