Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Finally converted the GF, 2021 Corolla hybrid help and questions

Chrisnufc

On 10/2/2021 at 12:49 AM, TonyHSD said:

Hi, 

I am not sure if this is part of Toyota service schedule for new cars as I do my own services but if it’s not you can easily do by yourself, it’s an easy task as easy as changing your interior cabin filter. It does not need to be often unless you are driving with fluffy pets inside or using the car in very dusty conditions. Important note: to keep this air vents unobstructed with items while travelling on long journeys. This video can be interesting to you, that guy is a Toyota tech from US and knows well about our cars and all of his work is helpful. 👍

We have a dog and getting another so will have 2 dogs in it, how does the filter effect reliability, does it prevent flow which affects temp or something?

Definitely make checking the filter part of your maintenance routine if you have doggies!

The air vent allows cool air to be blown over the HV Battery to keep it... cool. It's not as critical an issue as we approach winter, but especially in summer a blocked vent can lead to an overheating traction Battery, which will manifest in the car gradually losing performance for no apparent reason.

I check it whenever I wash the car or check the tyre pressures, but so far mine seems to have stayed relatively clean... I imagine doggies, esp. if they are quite sheddy, could lead to it getting blocking up more quickly.

• Like 2

That makes sense. Thanks Guys.

does anyone know how much a hybrid Battery replacement costs for a worst case scenario if for example was looking at an separate old Toyota hybrid for the dirty duties?

The cells on a Toyota hybrid Battery are separate cells so can be changed individually, probably £150 new but you can get used ones which are still good for less. Last I read was a full Battery was about £1300, with or without vat I don’t know, and if you going back to Gen1 and Gen2  the price may be different.

13 minutes ago, Catlover said:

The cells on a Toyota hybrid battery are separate cells so can be changed individually, probably £150 new but you can get used ones which are still good for less. Last I read was a full battery was about £1300, with or without vat I don’t know, and if you going back to Gen1 and Gen2  the price may be different.

I’m going to do my homework on gen1 and gen2 do you have any info and which years are which?

before we pull trigger on the new Corolla dawned on me it’s probs better to get a used one with big chunk of 10 years warranty remaining and previous owner taking the depreciation hit. Also what about the Lexus CT-200h is that identical to the Corolla or Prius? 

that’s actually quite good that they can be changed separately, I take it the technicians can identify which cell goes bad if one does?

im actually annoyed top gear brainwashed me in my younger days regarding hybrids they are great but I feel like playing catch up on the technical aspects 

Gen1 would be 1999, Gen 2 ended 2009, those were 1500cc engines, can’t remember when Gen1 ended/Gen2 started but possibly 2005. Gen3 2009 to 2016, Gen4 2016 ongoing. They are1800cc engines.  Gen1-2 will have no warranty left obviously.        
10 year warranty is an annual warranty depending on Toyota servicing once the standard 5year (or very recent 3 year) warranty finishes. You don’t have to have Toyota servicing during 5year/3year warranty period but you need to use a vat registered garage, keep all receipts and be able to prove Toyota quality parts used. The warranty beyond 5/3 year is called Relax.
Toyota services include a free hybrid Battery health check and extends the Battery warranty from 5year/3year annually up to 15 year. If you don’t do Toyota servicing you can have hybrid Battery health check done annually for £45 (current cost) and get 1 year extra warranty.

Associated with annual, 5year, 3year, Relax 15 year warranties there is mileage limitation, which I can’t remember, but no doubt someone else can or check for details on Toyota web sites. All the terms and conditions for Relax are on the web site too.

The Toyota Auris 2009-2018 until new Corolla, had a hybrid version. The Hybrid engineering is same as Prius Gen3 basically. Rock solid engineering, probably over engineered which is a rarity these days, but very welcome.

The Lexus CT-200H is basically an Auris but, some say, nicer interior (never seen inside one so I don’t know).

My Gen4 Prius is now 5 year old and has caused no problems, is a dream to drive and extremely economic. All hybrids are more fuel efficient in summer then winter, batteries don’t like cold weather (even you flash light).

• Like 2

I think you are worrying unnecessarily. All components of a vehicle wear out eventually and the hybrid Battery is not a particular problem in this respect. It will last for many, many years and based on typical vehicle turnover they likely outlast the first two owners and even get as far as a fourth owner before they need replacement.

Just because it's a new concept to you don't think it's an unknown quantity. Toyota have been making them for many years now and they are happy to offer a 15 year warranty on them (subject to continuous health checks). That's probably a better warranty than you get on any other part of the car's mechanicals.

If you're going to worry about the hybrid Battery you might as well worry about the crankshaft, water pump, cylinder heads, timing chain etc. All of those are normally capable of 100,000s of miles before they need replacing and the hybrid Battery is the same.

• Like 2

Hey guys I have very nice Toyota hybrid for sell similar to Corolla but made in 2010, it’s a top spec model with all the bells and whistles, it has a full service history, actually there is no more room for service stamps in the book, an average mileage for its age, just under 186k miles and only 7 previous owners and still on its original batteries. The car is in excellent condition inside out, drives like new except it’s off the road currently due to a faulty speed sensor, but don’t worry I will get that fixed soon. 👍🤣

Now seriously,  no need to worry too much about the batteries of Toyota/Lexus hybrids, they do last quite a bit. The only problem these days is that used car prices are out of reality and often used cars can come close to a new one if you get it on deal. Looking for a hybrid gen 3 should be the minimum and even gen 4 as preferred hybrid. Gen 2 although reliable they are bit of old tech and doesn’t have same sophisticated transmission as the gen 3 and 4 has. Lexus CT200h it’s like Auris from 2013 but smaller inside with much better materials., also it’s quite low to the ground and most of them has scratched bottom front doors from hitting a kerbs while opening. If it’s me and my budget allows I will be looking at Corolla 2019-> , Prius 2016-> or Yaris 2020->, Lexus CT200h also considered. 
Good luck 👍

What put me off the Lexus CT200h is cat theft problem. As it's old tech it has the more valuable cat and is easy to get at.

If you are buying a hybrid for economy avoid the CT200h - I think it has the worst real world mpg of all of the hybrids, and IIRC even somehow managed to be worse than some of the petrol cars in its class!

It's too heavy and it uses the old HSD so the electric motor isn't strong enough to move its bulk so the ICE is running nearly all the time. We had a few adopters here back in the day and they were all disappointed with the mpg.

(This is assuming they haven't changed it, as I'm not so up to date on what they've done with it since it originally came out!)

I will say it has a nicer interior than any of the Toyota hybrids - The seats are really nice and it just has a nice feel that is more common in german cars, so if you want it for luxury and a really smooth autobox then it's not a bad shout, but if you want an economical luxurious car there are better cars out there...

2 hours ago, Cyker said:

If you are buying a hybrid for economy avoid the CT200h - I think it has the worst real world mpg of all of the hybrids, and IIRC even somehow managed to be worse than some of the petrol cars in its class!

It's too heavy and it uses the old HSD so the electric motor isn't strong enough to move its bulk so the ICE is running nearly all the time. We had a few adopters here back in the day and they were all disappointed with the mpg.

(This is assuming they haven't changed it, as I'm not so up to date on what they've done with it since it originally came out!)

I will say it has a nicer interior than any of the Toyota hybrids - The seats are really nice and it just has a nice feel that is more common in german cars, so if you want it for luxury and a really smooth autobox then it's not a bad shout, but if you want an economical luxurious car there are better cars out there...

How can the CT be that much heavier than the Toyota versions?

Well that's weird, I just had a quick look on Parkers and it says the CT200 is lighter and has a faster 0-60 than the Auris by 0.6 seconds so I'm not sure what's going on there as I'm sure that isn't right!

All I remember is the CT200h had way worse real-world mpg than the Auris despite them using the same drivetrain, but maybe it wasn't down to weight then!? Confused now!

8 hours ago, Cyker said:

Well that's weird, I just had a quick look on Parkers and it says the CT200 is lighter and has a faster 0-60 than the Auris by 0.6 seconds so I'm not sure what's going on there as I'm sure that isn't right!

All I remember is the CT200h had way worse real-world mpg than the Auris despite them using the same drivetrain, but maybe it wasn't down to weight then!? Confused now!

Hi, the auto journalists usually are talking non sense plus likely what they had been taught  to say. Most of their content can be classed as paid promotion especially when comes out from Matt and carwow or similar,. they do work with dealers and selling cars., if Lexus didn’t want to work with them or pay them what would you expect positive reviews, no way. Lexus CT200h uses gen 3 hsd same as Prius gen 3 and Auris hybrids, if for any reason driver can’t get any good mpg it would be driving style, wheels sizes and boxy hatchback shape. And it’s true if you buy even 2020 CT200h still comes with the same drivetrain as gen 3 Prius from 2010, same applies for Prius plus 7 seater., but this is very good drive train and can deliver great economy and performance. I do get 60+ mpg summer and 50+mpg winter drive. 👍

Sorry, Parkers is for car stats (weight, dimensions, trim levels, tank size etc.) - That's where I was getting the weights from, not a review. The complaints about mpg and performance were from people here who had one back in the day. Even reviewers were recommending the Auris over the CT200 for economy tho'.

On 10/3/2021 at 5:33 PM, Chrisnufc said:

We have a dog and getting another so will have 2 dogs in it, 

On 10/5/2021 at 10:05 PM, Roy124 said:
On 10/3/2021 at 5:33 PM, Chrisnufc said:

We have a dog and getting another so will have 2 dogs in it, 

?

On 10/5/2021 at 9:42 PM, Cyker said:

Sorry, Parkers is for car stats (weight, dimensions, trim levels, tank size etc.) - That's where I was getting the weights from, not a review. The complaints about mpg and performance were from people here who had one back in the day. Even reviewers were recommending the Auris over the CT200 for economy tho'.

So is it that much heavier or not I’m confused now haha?

10 hours ago, Chrisnufc said:

So is it that much heavier or not I’m confused now haha?

No, CT200h weights 1410kg it’s similar to Auris and both are slightly heavier than Prius 1379kg . You can search Google technical specifications of any make and model and useful info comes up. 👍 

The reason why people don’t get as good efficiency in Lexus is mostly because it’s a premium brand they trash it thinking it’s something special and sporty where actually it’s a renamed Prius with more luxurious interior , that’s not bad  🤣👌 

Lexus CT200h has only one negative though, it’s smaller inside and has a bit of claustrophobic feeling especially on rear seats.  

• Like 1

The Lexus CT200h dating from 2011, is based on the first generation Auris (2007-2012), and, like the Auris hybrid, shares the Prius drivetrain of that era. Wheelbase is the same as the Auris (2600mm), and is smaller than the Prius (wheelbase 2700mm). Discontinued in the UK in 2020.