Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota Corolla (E21) 1.8 Hybrid Sat Nav

PhilMoreau

Hello All, My first post on this forum. My Toyota Corolla (E21) 1.8 Hybrid is outsanding in every way, except for the Sat Nav and dreaded bred crumb trail. Px'ed my C220 Merc AMG estate and am not disappointed. Just wish the Sat Nav was as good. Can't see any way of killing the bread crumb trail.

BC.jpg

• Like 1

Having not found a way to turn it off, I am now on a mission to turn the entire map purple 😊

But I agree it's an odd feature...could understand if it just showed previous trip so you had a reference to how you got to a destination if it wasn't the recommended route.

Waze Sat Nav is the answer, you can also see who's birtday party allows gate crashers. :wine:

• Like 2

Welcome, Phil, to Toyota Owners Club. I pleased for you that, overall, you are pleased with your Corolla, and I personally prefer the estate over the hatch.

Not seen a bread crumb before. 

Mine is the Estate. Lowered boot floor is much better. No bread crumbs, is this a firmware issue? Try as much as possible my WiFi signal (to get updates) will not allow the car to connect unless I'm mad enough to dive it through a brick wall next to the router.

Are you guys telling me that I'm the only one with loaf of bread fastened to rear of a Corolla 🍞

I find the Toyota sat nav a waste of time. Map updating a total headache (check out the many posts in this forum on that topic). I've hardly used it since I bought my Corolla in June 2020.

Instead, I use Google Maps with Android Auto linked from my Samsung phone. Faultless by comparison, with maps up to date and more accurate than Toyota's. It has a far more intuitive interface and structure. And you can interact with voice commands in conversational English, as you do with Google Assistant. Plus with Android Auto, you can stream music, make and receive calls, text messages, etc, all via voice commands.

It's a much better experience in my view. No breadcrumbs either!

• Like 1

Breadcrumb could be a feature of latest version - I didn't have it on the Auris and while there are similarities, the software is quite different on the Corolla (Sept 21). Other half uses Google maps on her Yaris - I haven't tried yet but seeing some things about Android Auto that I do like....except maybe the Google ladies interpretation of my song requests 😏

There is a setting in the nab setup somewhere. I think it is called route history or something similar. I managed to switch it off sometime ago. I’ll look when I get a minute. 

• Like 2

This is an option in my 2020 model. You can toggle it on and off in the map settings “Save recent route”. I turned it off!

• Like 1

Your a star Geoff, Thank You. Just goes to show how effective this forum can be. Loaf of bread is now history, no more crumbs :blowup:

Hi Ian You kept your loaf of bread quiet. What brand was it?

Crumbs, after I had installed the 2021v1 update I saw the breadcrumbs had gone. Not long after commenting on the change they returned. 

Actually I do find them useful, both in back tracking a good route and avoiding a bad one! 

Must admit the display could be much better and has some sudden odd graphics.  I said before, two solid black lines displayed along a road one day.  Never found out why. 

Waze, and Google, can update the maps almost immediately. We moved into our home but the road was not on the Toyota map - homes occupied from 2016, Toyota map 2019v1.  I sent Waze a Google Earth image, a day or so later we were on the map. 2019v2 and Toyota caught up. 

Even Garmin update cycle is slow and many delivery drivers could not find us as they didn't update their Satnav. 

While the media display does all things, so they have to check the whole software update, my phone does many more things but can accept instant updates. 

Money? 

7 hours ago, PhilMoreau said:

Hi Ian You kept your loaf of bread quiet. What brand was it?

Tesco multigrain....tough times - new car took priority over the basics 😂

1 hour ago, Roy124 said:

Crumbs, after I had installed the 2021v1 update I saw the breadcrumbs had gone. Not long after commenting on the change they returned. 

Actually I do find them useful, both in back tracking a good route and avoiding a bad one! 

Must admit the display could be much better and has some sudden odd graphics.  I said before, two solid black lines displayed along a road one day.  Never found out why. 

Yep - great idea if you want to re-use a route which was not the one the Sat Nav chose but odd it keeps on adding!

Generally I am liking this version a bit better than the one in my '18 Auris - it seems clearer in general, better now without the breadcrumbs, and I really like they went back to actual buttons. But they switched the buttons and display around so still getting used to the layout. It wasnt even a straight left<>right swap as phone is still on the right, but Map (previously Nav?) moved up and left from bottom right. The Home screen is a little busy though and I may reconfigure to give more to the map, though I like having Hybrid/Trip info on there albeit somewhat small.

Although the previous had limited configuration options, the full-screen view each time you hit a relevant button was a simple view and layout. Just a case of getting used to it and playing with the configurations.

Waze, and Google, can update the maps almost immediately.

Just out of interest, how much data is required to run these applications? I realise it depends on how often you use the sat nav but just a ballpark figure.

I only use a small amount of data normally and don't really want to spend a lot more money to upgrade the package

I should have posted this earlier:

Tomsguide.com has a comparison between Google and Waze search Google.

You can then find out the method for using Google offline and a workaround to do the same with Waze.

• Like 1

Very good question. I have at present unlimited calls and data but considering changing from TalkTalk to Vodafone simply because TT have a rubish signal at my home. I guess I will need 10GB of data per month but being retired means limited outings using SatNav. The answer depends upon your own SatNav useage, once a week, once a month or every day!!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

I should have posted this earlier:

Tomsguide.com has a comparison between Google and Waze search Google.

You can then find out the method for using Google offline and a workaround to do the same with Waze.

I really need a URL link as this web site has tons of stuff to wade through.

Another app worth considering is AmiGO from TomTom. No cost, live traffic including speed cameras, road works, much of the info sourced from other users (like Waze). I've been trying it out; I like it although I prefer Google Maps navigation.

https://9to5google.com/2021/04/12/tomtom-amigo-arrives-on-android-auto-as-further-third-party-navigation-option/

https://www.tomtom.com/blog/navigation/amigo/

Spoiled for choice these days.

17 hours ago, 50p said:

Waze, and Google, can update the maps almost immediately.

Just out of interest, how much data is required to run these applications? I realise it depends on how often you use the sat nav but just a ballpark figure.

I only use a small amount of data normally and don't really want to spend a lot more money to upgrade the package

With google maps it is important to switch to Map view instead of satellite view. What you can also do is download offline maps from the Google Maps app, you can select your own area. I usually select a large area and then also zoom in and download some areas in more detail. This way you will only be using data for traffic information but not maps themselves

• Like 1