Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rubbish TPMS

Rav Rob

Had a puncture today, didn't even notice the dim little orange symbol on the right of the screen was on for some time, no bongs or warning message, it doesn't even tell you which tyre. The system in my Wife's MG is far better, showing the actual pressure on each wheel and proper alerts.

Fortunately it was slow enough to be able to pump it up and get to Kwikfit. Needed a new tyre which is disappointing as they are only 2 weeks old!

I hope this is just bad luck and not a weakness of the Dunlop EfficientGrip 2, they are OK but not as good as the Continental Sport Contact 5 I had on before, they were amazing!!!!. Sadly not in stock when I needed more. Both are 'A' rated wet grip and I won't drive on any tyre that isn't. 

Good to know, I would expect to be warned by some sound. On highway it's matter of seconds before the tire is smashed. It's pretty useless this way.

The TPMS on the Yaris screams "Low Pressure" with an alarm when it senses deflation. But you have to scroll through the menus to find out which tyre as all the pressures are displayed in that menu. wonder if the Rav 4 is similar?

I don't know the 2019 model but the 2021 allows you to page through the MID screens, using the < or > buttons on the circular controller, until you get to the TPMS page which shows all the tyres with the current pressures.

I haven't been able to find out how to display the actual pressure for each tyre?

4 hours ago, ernieb said:

I don't know the 2019 model but the 2021 allows you to page through the MID screens, using the < or > buttons on the circular controller, until you get to the TPMS page which shows all the tyres with the current pressures.

i've got a 2019 model and TPMS screen just shows reset or change tire. nothing else.

• Thanks 1

My 2021 model also only has reset or change tyre, Mine is labelled TPWS not TPMS.

35 minutes ago, Saxacat said:

My 2021 model also only has reset or change tyre, Mine is labelled TPWS not TPMS.

Mine also - so the display of actual tyre pressures is either a FEV pheature or Ernie is thinking of a previous car (again) 🙂

With earlier RAVs the feature was described as TPMS (4.3 certainly), and with the current 4.5 pretty much exactly the same feature is described as TPWS. Either way, it monitors tyre pressures and warns when any drops below a set threshold. Adding the ability to swap between two sets of wheels (e.g. summer and winter) in the 4.5 is a useful addition for those who swap.

I've always thought it a little 'mean' of the car to know the actual tyre pressures and not let on to the driver. But the car does not know which wheel / TPMS valve is on which corner of the car - it just knows the set of four valve ids that it needs to monitor. Maybe this has changed in the PHEV ... ? The other issue is that the pressure reading from the valve is not relied upon to be accurate - it simply provides a datum against which to monitor pressure drop.

I've never had any problem spotting when the TPMS light has come on. Usually you'd spot an issue before or immediately after you've pulled away from rest. And then I've always needed to use a separate tyre pressure gauge to work out which tyre is actually 'low'. It may be that the light is less obvious than it was due to the number of items now displayed ... ?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, philip42h said:

Mine also - so the display of actual tyre pressures is either a FEV pheature or Ernie is thinking of a previous car (again) 🙂

With earlier RAVs the feature was described as TPMS (4.3 certainly), and with the current 4.5 pretty much exactly the same feature is described as TPWS. Either way, it monitors tyre pressures and warns when any drops below a set threshold. Adding the ability to swap between two sets of wheels (e.g. summer and winter) in the 4.5 is a useful addition for those who swap.

I've always thought it a little 'mean' of the car to know the actual tyre pressures and not let on to the driver. But the car does not know which wheel / TPMS valve is on which corner of the car - it just knows the set of four valve ids that it needs to monitor. Maybe this has changed in the PHEV ... ? The other issue is that the pressure reading from the valve is not relied upon to be accurate - it simply provides a datum against which to monitor pressure drop.

I've never had any problem spotting when the TPMS light has come on. Usually you'd spot an issue before or immediately after you've pulled away from rest. And then I've always needed to use a separate tyre pressure gauge to work out which tyre is actually 'low'. It may be that the light is less obvious than it was due to the number of items now displayed ... ?

The Rav display is a bit prone to glare and reflections from my seating position anyway. The bright White actual instrumentation is not hard to see. The TPMS light is very dim relatively.  Pressure was down to 20psi but car didn't feel particularly odd even that low, sometimes if its a gradually worsening loss you adapt with it unlike a sudden change.

1 hour ago, Saxacat said:

I’m afraid I still use the generic TPMS rather than the bespoke Toyota TPWS.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ernieb said:

This is what mine shows, 

446F5E2B-71B5-42D6-B42E-1E5BBF72C137.jpeg

No drawing in my manual, so maybe a change to the system. My manual just states the following:

If the tire pressure drops below a
predetermined level, the driver is
warned by a message and a warning
light.

4 minutes ago, ernieb said:

I’m afraid I still use the generic TPMS rather than the bespoke Toyota TPWS.

I only mentioned it in case it was indicative of a system change.

I get this screen in my car but had to use the manual image as I’d have to have driven the car to get the pressures to register.

I’m surprised that this is not across the range.

@Saxacat, I have to say there are few things where I’ve struggled because of the Toyota terminology rather than more generic terms but agreed my RAV also calls it TPWS.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ernieb said:

I get this screen in my car but had to use the manual image as I’d have to have driven the car to get the pressures to register.

I’m surprised that this is not across the range.

@Saxacat, I have to say there are few things where I’ve struggled because of the Toyota terminology rather than more generic terms but agreed my RAV also calls it TPWS.

It does seem to be a PHEV feature ...

My 2019 Focus would show you the pressures and if you rotated wheels front to back, it would recognise it after a short drive.

Seems ludicrous for the car to know the pressures and not show them.

• Thanks 1

How does the car know where each tyre is located ? Do you have to register each tyre to location and change if you rotate tyres 🤔

@robo1, the sensor in each tyre is paired with the wheel location.  The PHEV, may be the same on the HEV, has a two part sensor so if there is a need to replace the part external to the tyre is the only part that needs to be changed.

Afaik, the sensors communicate to the receptors wirelessly, and the receptors are fixed to the car, but the communication is very short range, so each receptor only picks up the signal from the nearest tyre.

Wasn't it the case that the PHEV was missing a couple of features from the HEV? looks like you gained at least one (useful!) feature in lieu with a better TPMS, maybe we will find more nuggets..

On the plus side, I have done a lot of miles today, about 250, mostly on lane keep assist, and didn't even realise how blustery it is today until later on driving 'manually', lane keep has a magical ability to turn off the wind and does a brilliant job of compensating for it, makes it a very comfortable trip.

I also saw plenty of fuel around compared to the weekend, it is easing.

Thanks for the explanation. Thought there was only one receiver.

Was surprised when the TPMS system went off in my previous RAV.4  ( due to the first autumn drop in temperature) that it didn’t identify which tyre was causing the problem. Ironic that wife’s previous Suzuki swift and now Ignis shows which tyre and pressure reading despite costing less than half the price of the RAV. Must be Toyota UK cost cutting as USA RAVs have the full system. 

There are many things that make their way into the US/Chanda spec that are not included in the UK specs.  This has been the case not just for Toyota but for many cars I’ve bought over the years, volume and competition makes the difference. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links