Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New 2022 Aygo is coming soon

TonyHSD

24 minutes ago, martswain said:

@TonyHSD is it really getting a name change too ?

I am not sure about it, 

perhaps will stay the same 👍

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, martswain said:

is it really getting a name change too ?

Probably a spelling mistake in the topic title .....

• Haha 1

Hahah just have seen it now 😂👍 But can you please change it ? iOS got me again 🤣

Nice, good to see some progress on the new Aygo, and they keeping the faith with the city car, rather than Peugeot/Citroen who have lost the plot with the AMI!

2 minutes ago, Puglet said:

Nice, good to see some progress on the new Aygo, and they keeping the faith with the city car, rather than Peugeot/Citroen who have lost the plot with the AMI!

Also remember the Ami is classed as a quadricycle so it doesn't have to meet the same crash test standards that a car has to. 

The new Aygo will be a much safer place to be in the event of an accident. 

I wonder if they will be offering this in automatic and what auto they will be using.

Reports say it will be based on a shrunken version of the Yaris platform.

21 hours ago, Stormchaser said:

I wonder if they will be offering this in automatic and what auto they will be using.

Rumours suggest auto only in top spec variants and will be the hybrid ecvt straight from Yaris, and if it’s based on Yaris platform it’s likely to be the case. 

• Like 2

It will use the same TNGA-B platform as the Yaris, but may stick with the 1.0 3-pot for cost reasons, at ;east initially. If they do make a hybrid version I'll have to take a look at it tho' as it's currently shaping up to be almost exactly like a Mk1 Yaris in terms of dimensions :laugh: (If it does, I would just like to say I totally called it on this forum years ago!!!)

• Like 2

Toyota is supposed to be using newly developed Suzuki engines in a compact model as part of the Toyota/Suzuki alliance. Engines to be built by Toyota Poland.

• Thanks 1

It a shame if only top specs gets hybrid. With fuel prices going through the roof these days, it could be nice with extremely good performance in terms of mpg and running cosrs in general. 

Mini Yaris sized car, a new 1.0 engine, I don't know how much more mpg can be stretched compared to the present Aygo. 

With the world and politicians going CO2 crazy, I could fear that fuel could be meet with extra taxes in the near future. 

5 hours ago, nielshm said:

With the world and politicians going CO2 crazy, I could fear that fuel could be meet with extra taxes in the near future. 

Politicians will have to work out a way to tax EVs too to make up the current shortfall in Road Tax due to them paying £0.

• Like 1

It's more the tax revenue from petrol they will be looking to offset, IMO. Who knows, maybe electricity prices will rise ? 🤔

1 hour ago, Stopeter44 said:

It's more the tax revenue from petrol they will be looking to offset, IMO. Who knows, maybe electricity prices will rise ? 🤔

Electricity prices are rising, government get more (VAT) tax. Petrol prices are rising, government get more (VAT) tax.                     

The goverment will, I think, increase VED, hybrids at £0 will pay, and I reckon electric vehicles will pay. They not going to maintain roads for £zero return, never mind build new ones. It would help if they reduce train and bus fares to get motorists off the road.

• Like 3

That's the utterly daft thing at the moment - It is cheaper to drive than it is to take public transport!

So, why would you go through all that inconvenience of having to wait for a bus full of stinky grumpy humans that stinks of weed, freezing/baking depending on the weather, carrying your gear/shopping and not even making any significant saving?

And that's just London buses, which are supposedly the cheapest to use in the country - I had a mate who lived just outside and his bus had a 2 hour interval and was over £5!

Then there's the trains - £5k a year for a season ticket?! That's insane!! Even if you added up the annual cost of servicing, fuel, tax, insurance etc. for any of the cars I've owned (Even the Fiesta!!) it wouldn't come close to that!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Cyker said:

That's the utterly daft thing at the moment - It is cheaper to drive than it is to take public transport!

And it's been that way for many years.

Back in 2005 I lived on the eastern side of Southampton and worked on the western side, commuting by public transport would have required 2 buses, taken 90 minutes and cost £5 each way -a total of 3 hours and £10 per day, so unsurprisingly I drove to work.

In 2012 a colleague and I from Portsmouth needed to go to a conference at the NEC Birmingham, we looked at the time & cost of going by plane, train and car - and going by car cost less than a quarter of the cost by either train and plane, and (allowing for the time you needed to wait at the airport) was also quicker than both.

Public transport outside the major conurbations just isn't a viable option as it costs more and (possibly most importantly) doesn't take you from where you are to where you need to be at the time you need to be there. When people worked locally (i.e. before WW2) public transport was viable for most of the population, but that's no longer true - even taking into account those who can, however temporarily, work from home post-COVID.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Cyker said:

3 hours ago, PetrolDave said:

And it's been that way for many years.

.... public transport was viable for most of the population, but that's no longer true - even taking into account those who can, however temporarily, work from home post-COVID.

@Cyker & @PetrolDave I think your points are arguable. I think the main reason people drive is because they don't want to rub up against other people, literally and figuratively. It was certainly the case for me. For years (1990-2008) I didn't own a car, I could either walk to work, or at worst have a one change commute that took 40 mins on public transport. The main thing about Public transport that annoyed me, was people listening to music loudly through poor quality earbuds. It's a pet hate of mine !

I am not talking about the UK, though. In and around Paris, where I worked there was a tiered season ticket system that wasn't particularly expensive and half of it was paid by the employer. I switched to a car when my job involved working at the Renault Technocentre. Otherwise it was two trains and a bus, and at best it was 1 hour and half each way. Mostly, in the car it was about 45 minutes, but sometimes it could be up to 3 hours, if there was a particularly bad accident somewhere on the road network on the way home. It didn't even have to be on my side of the road, or even on a road I would take.

Generally, when calculating cost of travel car owners don't count the cost of depreciation. 

Edited by Stopeter44
clarity

I think the main reason for using a car/van is convenience.

No waiting for public transport, if that is available. Use it when you want. Etc.

• Like 3

Scrap HS2, to me its a "folly", its going to cost £100bn, it will overspend massively, use the money to sort us out of this debt we in and invest some of it in cheap public transport and decent facilities for the truckers.

3 hours ago, Stopeter44 said:

I think the main reason people drive is because they don't want to rub up against other people, literally and figuratively.

I learnt to drive in 1975 because, as I said in my post, the cost and time of getting to work by public transport made it impossible and unaffordable.

Not having to be in close proximity with other people wasn't a factor then (as it is now post-COVID).

Taking public transport to any of my jobs in the intervening 45 years was not an option for the same reasons - time and cost.

Unless you live in a major conurbation public transport simply isn't financially viable, and if you do live in a major conurbation the concerns of cross infection have now become a major factor. Personally I don't see public transport ever featuring high in my choices, especially now I have retired.