Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New 2022 Aygo is coming soon

TonyHSD

59 minutes ago, PetrolDave said:

Unless you live in a major conurbation public transport simply isn't financially viable, and if you do live in a major conurbation the concerns of cross infection have now become a major factor. Personally I don't see public transport ever featuring high in my choices, especially now I have retired.

I'm in a similar boat to you, but when I was working in France between 1990 and 2012 I could, and did, use public transport, except between 2008 & 2012, when I worked for Renault. Of course, once I had bought car, I didn't resell it after I didn't need it for work. For various reason, that particular car didn't cost me anything other than the fuel costs. But prior to moving to the sticks, we only did c. 8000km per year !

For long trips, I regularly used the TGV or I flew depending on distance, preferring to rent a car on arrival if necessary, but since COVID, I have been a lot more prudent.

Now I live in a big village, or a small town, depending on your point of view, and there a regular bus links to the nearest big towns, but I would not be using them, not because of cost, but because of convenience.

Theoretically if my job didn't require me to haul around loads of gear I'd be more inclined to take the bus as I used to enjoy having a chat with fellow regulars and getting some extra sleep on the way in to work!!

However, taking a bus at rush hour is a miserable experience - The waiting, the cursing as a bus full of kids flies past so you need to wait for the next one, then the bus stop gets more crowded, which is great fun in the rain, then being crammed in like sardines, having to listen to people argue about prams or seats or something, or having to put up with BO/weed/loud music etc. I wouldn't dare sleep on a bus these days!

I have to say, off-peak it's quite nice - Good view from the top deck, climate controlled, lots of space etc. - and that's the kind of journey they try to trick you with when promoting bus (and tube) travel, but it's totally not representative of the journey a working person would have. Public transport is fine for leisure travel, but it sucks fat hairy balls outside of that.

So, faced with all of that, AND it being more expensive... I don't see why any sane person would anyone opt for that given a choice?? I wish it could go back to being 20p a fare and having a conductor to keep an eye on things!

I was wondering if they'll start using the hybrid in the top grades of the Aygo, but for me as a 100% auto driver only, it might get more expensive for me to own an Aygo in that case. Not impossible, but as I used my equity for a straight swap last year, it might mean that I'll have to pay more monthly.

On 10/2/2021 at 10:22 AM, forkingabout said:

Also remember the Ami is classed as a quadricycle so it doesn't have to meet the same crash test standards that a car has to. 

Euro NCAP crash testing is voluntary anyway.

3 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Euro NCAP crash testing is voluntary anyway.

Cars are subject to meet mandatory crash testing standards.

Quadricycle are not currently ( but the EU is looking at it ) 

EuroNCAP is just there to promote safety as manufacturers have found safety sells.

Unless your Dacia who don't care & sell on value.

You do have to be a bit careful of euro ncap ratings - There was a piece on how Panda went from 4 stars to 0 stars despite it not being any less safe, but rather the the ncap criteria changing when it was retested!

Just makes it all the more impressive that Toyota keep managing to keep their 4/5 star ratings tho'!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links