Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Test-driving an IQ this morning - is it still road-tax-free in UK in 2021?

mike160304

And is it likely to remain so?

PS - First time I have ever tried a car simply because it attracts me, and I am 83 . . . . . .

Have a nice day,

Mike

Hi Mike

There are 2 engine sizes available; 1.0 and 1.33. The 1.0 with a manual gearbox has CO2 emissions of 99g/km which (currently) is free of a tax charge (the 1.33 has emissions of 113g/km and will be charged at £20 per year).

What happens in future years is anyone's guess.

Good luck !!

Thanks!

This IQ is elderly, where do they tend to rust first?

Mike

I think we can all expect a sizeable uplift in levels of road taxation before too long. When you see that 'Government' is encouraging the purchase of electric vehicles at zero road tax and by doing so is automatically reducing the number of conventionally fuelled vehicles on the road, and by definition, the road tax and fuel tax income from them, then it's obvious that this can't continue indefinitely. Road pricing per mile schemes have already been talked about, domestic electricity prices for vehicle charging purposes will doubtless have some form of taxation applied via the tariff, and of course the Country as a whole is in deep debt due to the measures taken caused by the pandemic, so it won't be long before we all collectively have to pay the price. Not being a pessimist, just a realist, as however much you borrow yourself out of trouble, there comes a time when it has to be paid back, (with interest), and as has often been seen, 'Government' sees the motorist is one of the easiest 'Cash Cows' to milk!

Keith.

body wise id say should be no rust unless damaged due to collision, underneath though is another story. should have normal rust on just about anything thats got a bolt on it.. engine bay again should have normal rust on everything metal. clips,bolts,engine mountings..etc etc.. but nothing thats not treatable with good rust eater

Hi,

I taxed my iQ in August.  It is the 1.3 engine and the road tax was £30.

iirc the tax brackets all changed in 2020 - and the prices went up as well as !Removed! old diesel drivers this year

Quite a few cars moved from group B to C - Anything after April 2017 has a flat rate of £155 (£145 for a hybrid) after the first year

https://www.whatcar.com/advice/buying/car-tax-changes-in-2021-what-do-i-need-to-know/n1153

On 10/3/2021 at 11:34 AM, mike160304 said:

Thank you Keith - yes, I agree.

Rust?

Mike

Mines a 59 plate, 167000 mile job, and its rust free, 

Some skeptics say that's why they're hitting diesel so hard - Diesel drivers cost the government a crapload of lost tax revenue because they use so much less fuel than petrol cars for the same distance.

Their tax tactics will probably depend on what direction they want to take - If they want to discourage people who don't need them from owning vehicles, they will likely have a fairly high flat tax; This would be easy to set up and have minimal administration costs, but would effectively penalize people who hardly ever drive their car or own multiple cars, and probably attract a lot of grief from people who think it's unfair.

If they don't care about discouraging car ownership, they may go for a distance-based tax which is basically what the fuel duty boils down to at the end of the day, except the fuel duty rewards efficient cars and penalizes guzzlers - A straight distance-based tax would have the same effect as the change to flat VED; People will happily buy a v8 hausfrauenpanzer as it is the same to tax as a 1.0L Aygo. This seems to be the most likely path from what I've read, but it shows how idiotic or possibly sinister our government is - They're talking about using cameras or GPS to track you to calculate your mileage, and a lot of people are understandably against that for obvious reasons (I know I !Removed! well am!).

I have to question their competence - Are they really just that stupid they couldn't think of a much simpler and frankly blindingly obvious way of calculating your annual mileage? i.e. the MOT. 

No wonder people are getting paranoid that the government is trying to make this place a surveillance state - Sometimes I wonder if they're trying to compete with China to see who can be more draconian or something!?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links