Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Almost to say goodbye

Anthony Poli

Hi there, 

Yesterday I ordered a new car, but after 25 years + it’s not a Toyota. 
I would like to thank those people that have helped me, or those that have taken the time to reply to me.

As a Toyota owner I have enjoyed each newer second hand car. Now I am taking on a new challenge and have taken the plunge and going fully electric.  This has stemmed from enjoying the electric part of my drives with the last 3 hybrids. 

Now I appreciate that some will not think I am not wise in doing so, but we all are entitled to our opinion and I hope to share my views on the new car if anyone is interested. 

🙂

• Like 7

Anthony, I see you are going from the Auris, what are you getting? 

I agree about pure EV. Provided my range needs are met, what's not to like.  Its a shame Toyota are late to that party. 

My typical journey was as last week 75 miles each way and no convenient charging point had I needed one. 

Next week it will be 150-300-150-250.  As these are all family locations there is no opportunity to recharge.  To recharge at a commercial charging point is possible but not convenient. 

For the moment, Hybrid is the best option. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What electric car did you go for?

If you have access to charge and can keep distance in range a wise move. I do feel though in a few years there may be better battery/charge technology on the horizon, so buying an electric car may age quickly. We will see what happens. 

Be interested in your new car thoughts. A big plus as the way we are going, it will be all electric cars in future.

• Like 1

Good luck with whatever you get...hope it gives you the same enjoyment you've had from your Toyotas'

• Like 1

Presume you've gone for a Tesla as mentioned previously.

Best wishes for the future.

Although very different, the son of my cousin works for Aston Martin and has a new electric Peugeot. Sometimes has to travel between Gaydon and Aston's Welsh plant. The Peugeot only gives him a range of 80 miles so he has plan a stop part way for a recharge and a coffee. This of course is when he doesn't have an Aston to take home for testing.

1 minute ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Although very different, the son of my cousin works for Aston Martin and has a new electric Peugeot. Sometimes has to travel between Gaydon and Aston's Welsh plant. The Peugeot only gives him a range of 80 miles so he has plan a stop part way for a recharge and a coffee. This of course is when he doesn't have an Aston to take home for testing.

Stopping for 40 minutes would drive me mad. I like to get in a car and just drive for 3 or 4 hours without stopping. Be great when Battery charge and storage improve the range in real world winter days with heater and lights on etc.

James.

Don't say goodbye! I for one would be very interested to hear how you get on!! :biggrin: 

The experiences of real people and not EV evangelists or haters is always of interest to me - I want to know all the pros AND cons!

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Roy124 said:

Anthony, I see you are going from the Auris, what are you getting? 

I agree about pure EV. Provided my range needs are met, what's not to like.  Its a shame Toyota are late to that party. 

My typical journey was as last week 75 miles each way and no convenient charging point had I needed one. 

Next week it will be 150-300-150-250.  As these are all family locations there is no opportunity to recharge.  To recharge at a commercial charging point is possible but not convenient. 

For the moment, Hybrid is the best option. 

I know it is a gamble, my girlfriend always wants a break every hour. So no difference for an EV hopefully. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

Don't say goodbye! I for one would be very interested to hear how you get on!! :biggrin: 

The experiences of real people and not EV evangelists or haters is always of interest to me - I want to know all the pros AND cons!

I’ll stay around and report back, until people get bored lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Anthony Poli said:

I’ll stay around and report back, until people get bored lol

Good choice for going electric 👍🔋😉 My GF went from Auris to ionic and she is very happy plus she has free charger at her place, what a deal, she has done over 3500 miles and she only paid once around £3.50 on motorway services to top up. Her car is very much Toyota like and every time I go for a drive it makes me feel same as in the the Auris and I am always waiting for the ice to kick in to recharge the Battery or warm up itself but nope, no noise, no engine, just remain silent in ev mode  😀 

6 hours ago, Auris James said:

What electric car did you go for?

If you have access to charge and can keep distance in range a wise move. I do feel though in a few years there may be better battery/charge technology on the horizon, so buying an electric car may age quickly. We will see what happens. 

Be interested in your new car thoughts. A big plus as the way we are going, it will be all electric cars in future.

I have opted for a Tesla model 3 standard range plus, friends thought I was mad when I bought the first hybrid. Some thought the same when they heard about this one. 

Having the hybrids, had cut my fuel bills by 40%. 

One drawback to my 2 Auris hybrids was I’m sure people thought I was a taxi  As you don’t see many that aren’t round here  

I will report back on how my plunge into something new goes  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TonyHSD said:

Good choice for going electric 👍🔋😉 My GF went from Auris to ionic and she is very happy plus she has free charger at her place, what a deal, she has done over 3500 miles and she only paid once around £3.50 on motorway services to top up. Her car is very much Toyota like and every time I go for a drive it makes me feel same as in the the Auris and I am always waiting for the ice to kick in to recharge the battery or warm up itself but nope, no noise, no engine, just remain silent in ev mode  😀 

I used to use the hybrid assistant, it was nice to see how well I managed to make the EV mode last. 
Have had some impressive runs. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good luck I had thought about going all electric before I got the corolla I wonder though how long it will be before the goverment starts introducing road tax for electric vehicles and or road pricing per mile as they are bound to get less revenue coming in as has happened when they changed the car tax system in 2017.

5 minutes ago, Rosgoe said:

Good luck I had thought about going all electric before I got the corolla I wonder though how long it will be before the goverment starts introducing road tax for electric vehicles and or road pricing per mile as they are bound to get less revenue coming in as has happened when they changed the car tax system in 2017.

2025 bev will have to pay congestion charge when going into central London and will most likely will have a road tax set in the same year. 

1 hour ago, Anthony Poli said:

I have opted for a Tesla model 3 standard range plus, friends thought I was mad when I bought the first hybrid. Some thought the same when they heard about this one. 

Having the hybrids, had cut my fuel bills by 40%. 

One drawback to my 2 Auris hybrids was I’m sure people thought I was a taxi  As you don’t see many that aren’t round here  

I will report back on how my plunge into something new goes  

Looking forward to it. Hope the Tesla serves you as well as your Auris has.

James.👍

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Rosgoe said:

I agree, there was a few things that were concerning me, one being the introduction of E10. Less bang for your buck, what’s to stop them going to E15 in a year or 2. Cat theft pandemic. The motorist seem to be the easiest target. 

34 minutes ago, Auris James said:

Looking forward to it. Hope the Tesla serves you as well as your Auris has.

James.👍

After the test drive yesterday I’m sure it will. I thought my Auris was easy to drive, within 10 minutes I had got used to the increased regen when you take your foot of the peddle. 
the 30 minutes just flew by. Sadly no photos of my big grin lol

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Anthony Poli said:

After the test drive yesterday I’m sure it will. I thought my Auris was easy to drive, within 10 minutes I had got used to the increased regen when you take your foot of the peddle. 
the 30 minutes just flew by. Sadly no photos of my big grin lol

Sounds good. There are a couple of Tesla's parked up at our Marina flats that were built around 4-5 years ago. I live on a narrowboat that cost me 25k and moorings for the year of £2,700! Penthouse was 380,000 back then. No charging facility at Marina or flats, so presume charge at work. 3 bed penthouse 650k!  crazy, buy a nice period house!  Photo's are a must when you have it!

James👍

For electric car owners who use their cars often and on long trips  it’s important to have their own charger at home and to use public chargers only as a top up solution. It is cheaper and way more convenient. Having a bev without own charge is like having an smartphone without electricity at home, so only can change at airports and cafes, would you like to do that?! Often public chargers does not work or had been  taken and you have to wait, ultra inconvenient. Tesla model 3 standard range it’s a really good car indeed. 👍

• Like 2

16 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Good choice for going electric 👍🔋😉 My GF went from Auris to ionic and she is very happy plus she has free charger at her place, what a deal, she has done over 3500 miles and she only paid once around £3.50 on motorway services to top up. Her car is very much Toyota like and every time I go for a drive it makes me feel same as in the the Auris and I am always waiting for the ice to kick in to recharge the battery or warm up itself but nope, no noise, no engine, just remain silent in ev mode  😀 

I'm very tempted by the plug-in hybrid version of the Ioniq. If I had the cash for a Tesla I'd probably go for one, but I don't at the moment. Plus, living in a rural area the power supply can be a little unreliable. It's nearly 20 years ago now, but we once had a power cut which lasted two and a half days and the one consolation was that our petrol and diesel cars still worked as normal even though nothing electric did! As I now run a business based at home I reckon a plug-in hybrid would cover about 90% of my annual mileage purely on electric.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

2025 bev will have to pay congestion charge when going into central London and will most likely will have a road tax set in the same year. 

No problem, if it's fair.

If I hadn't of decided to goto an EV, I would have kept the present Auris until I hadn't any other option. Sometimes we do crazy things like buying a new car lol

• Like 1

5 hours ago, yossarian247 said:

I'm very tempted by the plug-in hybrid version of the Ioniq. If I had the cash for a Tesla I'd probably go for one, but I don't at the moment. Plus, living in a rural area the power supply can be a little unreliable. It's nearly 20 years ago now, but we once had a power cut which lasted two and a half days and the one consolation was that our petrol and diesel cars still worked as normal even though nothing electric did! As I now run a business based at home I reckon a plug-in hybrid would cover about 90% of my annual mileage purely on electric.

I almost forgot about some savings thing I started 25 years ago, before then I could only dream of a plug in hybrid, never mind a Tesla.

I just didn't like the look of some of the other options, the trend of sun's is my thing.

On 10/3/2021 at 2:38 PM, FROSTYBALLS said:

Yes, I have been lured by the dark side lol

Recently I have been stalked by them, some have just stayed in my rear view mirror for a while and then vanished or overtook me.

Enjoy the new car Anthony. Hopefully you don't live in the top flat of a high rise. That would need one heck of a long extension lead!

1 hour ago, mrpj said:

Enjoy the new car Anthony. Hopefully you don't live in the top flat of a high rise. That would need one heck of a long extension lead!

Might parking it on the grass in front of the house, no front garden lol