Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Excessive oil consumption?

Bob Sutton

Hello Everyone,

I bought my 2016 Aygo x-pression, in April this year, with full main dealer service history and 23780 miles on the clock. I immediately had it serviced by my local Toyota dealer. I have regularly checked the engine oil level and it has taken one third of a litre of oil (0W-20) to bring it up to the full mark on the dipstick, although it has only done 3300 miles, since that service.   

I thought this was rather a lot of oil and found a similar post on the forum in which Devon Aygo, thought it might be a blocked PCV, amongst other suggestions. I don’t drive the car hard but on a mixture of rural roads and motorways. with very little city driving.

I would like know:

1) if my oil consumption is considered excessive,

2) if the attached photo does correctly identify the PCV,

3) if this valve simply pulls out of the housing in the cylinder head.

Any comments or views would be welcome.

Kind regards,

Bob Sutton.

2016 Toyota 1 KR-FE engine 03.10.21 .png

No, 1l/10k (1/3l/3300) miles would not be considered excessive at all.

• Like 2

Yes, not an excessive oil consumption. This is the pcv valve and likely to be just pull up replacement , you can check and clean with throttle body cleaner but it’s not expensive so easy to replace. These usually goes bad after long miles and when oil hasn’t been changed regularly. With your next oil change you may ask the dealer to do a engine flush too, this sometimes cleans deposits around piston rings and help prevent oil consumption. Your car is at low miles and should not have any issues. 👍

That's 1 litre in 10,000 miles which is definitely normal.

By way of comparison, VW only consider 1 litre per 1,000 (one thousand) miles as excessive and you're one-tenth of that.

Hello Everyone,

Thanks to all who read my post and especially to those, who took the time and trouble to respond. Your input is helpful, reassuring and much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Bob Sutton.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/4/2021 at 9:48 AM, PetrolDave said:

That's 1 litre in 10,000 miles which is definitely normal.

By way of comparison, VW only consider 1 litre per 1,000 (one thousand) miles as excessive and you're one-tenth of that.

Citroen here considered (What I am talking about is some years ago) that a consumption less than 1 liter per 1000 km is not anything that should lead to action.
I never agreed with that and I think it's exaggerated the wrong way, ...
But 1 liter per 10.000 km is no reason to worry and should be considered as 'fairly normal'.

What I would think is less normal is that people change oil on an Aygo every 10.000 miles.
There is only less than 3 liters of oil in the sump.
Toyota advices 10k miles on every car but most have a larger sump.
I would feel that for a city car that does many small distances, 6k miles would be a maximum life span for oil. Surely not more... 
Change oil faster is never bad for the car. Not fast enough is an other thing.

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links