Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

toyota yaris hybrid 2021 fuel consumption with full tank, how much miles ?

JanisLP

I was suprised how small the tank in the 2021 Yaris is, but when I filled it up and it showed almost 500 mile range I didn't really care.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Could be in some countries or if a van version of the Yaris is available  - eg the van version of the 3rd generation:

image.thumb.png.c6c15f39d5f5e28bd6bf3051b056ca54.png

Right! ...and that makes it even more obtuse as to the why of an extra or lack of 3 litres in the tank!! 😉🙃

48 minutes ago, CPN said:

In the UK (and I believe in most other countries too) by law, the speedometer is required to overread by at least 10% at 30 mph

NO!

Where on earth did you get such misinformation from, David Icke? Speedometers must never under read and may over read by up to 10%

19 minutes ago, bathtub tom said:

NO!

Where on earth did you get such misinformation from, David Icke? Speedometers must never under read and may over read by up to 10%

Errr... I take offence to that name! 😉 I cannot remember as it was such a long time ago and if I recall correctly, the reason was so that manufacturers could never be accused of their speedos under-reading at any time. The result being that the manufacturers all produce instruments that overread all the time. Some worse/better than others. Obviously, the wording of the law has changed over time I guess...

I reckon if a manufacturer fitted under reading speedos they would leave themselves open to court cases galore as motorists get penalised for speeding due to no fault of them. So over reading speedos is a safe bet fro them.          
To find out how much over reading a speedo is doing just use a smartphone with a sat nav software and you will see what that reads will be accurate.

Mine reads 2 mph over at an actual 30 mph (GPS) and at an indicated 70 mph on the speedo, the car is actually doing 65 mph (GPS).

4 minutes ago, CPN said:

Mine reads 2 mph over at an actual 30 mph (GPS) and at an indicated 70 mph on the speedo, the car is actually doing 65 mph.

I generally use the GPS indication as "true" speed, but between Waze & TomTom there's a very minor difference (< 1%).

Say, I want to set the cruise control for 110 kph, I set 113 or 114 kph on the cruise control. It also depends on the tyres. The winter set, despite being officially the same size, makes me add 1 kph to those cruise control speeds.

Between 80 kph et 110kph the difference with the GPS speed is consistent at 3 to 4 kph.

Edited by Stopeter44
Layout, Readability

3 hours ago, Stopeter44 said:

Are you sure you have the right English language manual, because :

SpecsScreenShot.pdfSpecsScreenShot.pdf 64.96 kB · 2 downloads

The larger tank is for the petrol versions, according to the French Brochure and according to the English language Manual for the non hybrid Yaris.

sorry, manual or multidrive, no hybrid

2 hours ago, CPN said:

Just a generic point to note: most people in this thread seem to be taking the fuel consumption readings/calculations shown on the dashboard as being "gospel" and therefore accurate? They are not!

In the UK (and I believe in most other countries too) by law, the speedometer is required to overread by at least 10% at 30 mph (so indicated 33 actually equals 30 mph - 50 kph actually equals 45 kph). Of course, this permeates through to all the fuel consumption calculations also so when you see that the car (in the UK) has done, say, 60 mpg at the end of your journey, the real figure will probably be closer to 55 mpg...

There is only one truly accurate way to measure what fuel consumption your car is doing (and even then, you are relying on an accurate odometer reading) and that is to fill the car "neck to neck" (and I do mean "neck" ignoring all the pump stoppages until you can see the fuel settled at the brim) on fill-ups and do the maths yourself based on how many litres you got into the tank and how many miles/kilometers you did between...

Hi, I had a reading on the dash showing an average of 81 miles to the gallon. I have also used the method stated by CPN for years now. I recently filled my Yaris Hybrid to the brim (making a note of the mileage and topped up to the brim some 250 miles later, again noting the mileage. I divided the amount of fuel added in litres by 4.546 to convert to gallons, then deducted the start mileage from finish mileage to get distance covered then divided that by number of gallons of fuel used. I got an accurate figure of my actual fuel consumption which equated to 76.7 miles to the gallon. I think that is pretty good considering I do a lot of small journeys!

Much better fuel consumption than my old Auris 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Yugguy1970 said:

I was suprised how small the tank in the 2021 Yaris is, but when I filled it up and it showed almost 500 mile range I didn't really care.

That caught me out the first time I refuelled it - It clicked off so soon I thought it was one of those dodgy overly-sensitive pumps! :laugh: 

I still can't believe this thing can get 500 miles out of less than 30L of fuel - Even my diesel Yaris wasn't that efficient! The fact that it can do that while being able to haul-***** at the drop of a hat just makes me love it all the more! :biggrin: 

I assume the range "learns" from how you drive?

Highest range displayed for a full tank in my Yaris was 525 miles.

• Like 2

Yeah, it seems to make an educated guess based on your mpg and how much fuel there is left, minus the reserve, so take it with a pinch of salt!

• Like 2

The “educated guess” part is that the computer analysis your driving habit and uses that information to determine how many miles of fuel you have left if you continue in the same style of driving. Of course if your driving style was “leisurely” the you start to “floor the accelerator pedal” then you are not going to reach the miles predicted.

• Like 2

@Catlover Are you saying that the calculation Is more "sophisticated" than a calculation based on fuel remaining and average consumption ? On my current car, I clear the average fuel consumption at every fill up.

7 hours ago, Stopeter44 said:

@Catlover Are you saying that the calculation Is more "sophisticated" than a calculation based on fuel remaining and average consumption ? On my current car, I clear the average fuel consumption at every fill up.

I think yes, Joe explanation make sense. The computer count your fuel quantity calculates your previous average consumption but for what period it’s unknown to me, then shows you predicted range which not necessarily will be achievable. For example when I fill up full the range displays 525 miles then after two day of work I have 400miles traveled and back to refuel again and before I put petrol in I check the range shows 90 miles remaining, it seems I am short by 35 miles from the original estimate, perhaps been more enthusiastic or weather conditions has changed or a combination of both. Last two windy and rainy nights and I have lost 6mpg immediately 62mpg down to 56mpg. 

• Thanks 1

I very rarely get to the point i have to take notice of anticipated miles to empty, I usually keep the tank full (ish) working on the basis in the winter you could develop more condensation on a empty (ish) tank then a full (ish) one, condensation being water. Having said that, I have seen the predicated miles to "empty" actually go up as I travelling along. How? Knowing I low on fuel, and not knowing where a filling station is, I drive more frugal, and by doing so an using less fuel then when the computer did its "initial" calculation, so the distance attainable can go up whilst travelling.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Catlover said:

I have seen the predicted miles to "empty" actually go up as I'm travelling along.

I've seen that, usually after SWMBO's been driving it. Gawd knows what she does.

• Haha 1

On 10/4/2021 at 2:30 PM, Yugguy1970 said:

That's really good. My petrol Peugeot 208 once displayed 522 miles range on a full tank, but that has a 50L tank. Imagine how many miles on a full tank you could do in your Yaris if it was 50L!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Recently purchased 2022 Yaris Design. The mpg varies wildly in normal drive mode. The best I've had is 84.9 mpg and the worst (in heavy rain with windscreen demister on) is 30.6 mpg. Is this normal?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, GingerRogers said:

Recently purchased 2022 Yaris Design. The mpg varies wildly in normal drive mode. The best I've had is 84.9 mpg and the worst (in heavy rain with windscreen demister on) is 30.6 mpg. Is this normal?

Hi Andy and welcome. 
This is normal of course but non of these figures represent actual real world fuel consumption. To get a better picture you nee£ to drive the car for at least 200 miles in various conditions, fill up again full and do the calculations, then compare to the trip computer numbers and they likely will be very close. Your car will most likely be high 50’s to mid 60’s in winters and well over 60”s even over 70’s in summer, and again depending on driving style, conditions , load etc. These cars are very efficient indeed 👍

2 hours ago, GingerRogers said:

As Tony said this is normal. The 30mpg is a short trip and loads of drag with the rain and heater on. 

Got a Yaris design also coming end of year. Can't wait to experience the improvements over my current MK3. 

• Like 1

Are you talking average or instant mpg? If instant, literally every car will show such a wide range - Even my Mk2 could show anything from 6 to 99mpg during driving! :laugh: 

My tank average usually stabilizes somewhere between 70 and 80mpg

2 hours ago, Cyker said:

Are you talking average or instant mpg? If instant, literally every car will show such a wide range - Even my Mk2 could show anything from 6 to 99mpg during driving! :laugh: 

My tank average usually stabilizes somewhere between 70 and 80mpg

Pretty much the same for me too.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links