Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tyres doubt

cfs7

Hi There 

i have an aygo 2008 and im going to replace my 2 front tyres. 155/65r14

im using the goodyear efficient grip compact but im loking an all season tyres.

What do you guys advice? i live in portugal so we have nice summers but on winter it rains a loot as well...

cheers

I'm using Goodyear Vector 4seasons. Excellent tyres!

• Like 2

Not ideal to mix all seasons tyres with summer tyres.

• Like 3

on the back im using contiecocontact 3, on the front the goodyear effictien grip that im going to replace.

why its not ideal mix seasons tyres with summer tyres?

2 minutes ago, cfs7 said:

on the back im using contiecocontact 3, on the front the goodyear effictien grip that im going to replace.

why its not ideal mix seasons tyres with summer tyres?

Very different behaviour, at high temperatures all seasons go soft before summer tyres, conversely at below 7c summer tyre grip tails off towards 0c - in both cases leads to instability in an emergency situation.

I'd be surprised if all seasons are a better choice in Portugal for year round use, even in the warmer/flatter parts of England there are not enough below 7c mornings to make all seasons the best year round option.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, NGRhodes said:

Very different behaviour, at high temperatures all seasons go soft before summer tyres, conversely at below 7c summer tyre grip tails off towards 0c - in both cases leads to instability in an emergency situation.

I'd be surprised if all seasons are a better choice in Portugal for year round use, even in the warmer/flatter parts of England there are not enough below 7c mornings to make all seasons the best year round option.

+1

When I lived in hilly North Devon I sed to run separate Winter and Summer wheels/tyres - 16" wheels with 195/40 Yokohama tyres in Summer and OE 14" wheels with 155/65 Nokian tyres in Winter.

to be fair  wrotte all season tyres because i want a summer an with rain with really good grip (dont have any snow) because the tyres that ive now are like "dead" and ive only have the car  two weeks but i dont feel any confidence on corners or roundabouts with the car (grip)

so what do you guys recommend for summer and wet but with a good grip and handling?

ive eard before that eco tyre dont offer a good grip

1º image front tyre

2 back tyre

cheers

IMG_1261.JPG

IMG_1262.JPG

Take a look at tyrereviews.com - collates lots of tests, you should be able to pick a useful set of tyres to pick from that are good in the wet.

im havink a look Continental EcoContact 6

bridgstone turanza t005

Pirelli centurato p1 verde

2 hours ago, cfs7 said:

One of the main reasons for the fuel economy of eco tyres is their harder compound, the trade off for this is worse grip (because of the harder compound).

I know that the Aygo isn't a performance car (far from it) but IMHO as the tyre is the only thing that keeps you on the road I prefer better grip at the cost of slightly worse fuel economy (the Aygo isn't exactly a gas guzzler anyway).

Check out the grip ratings for tyres in the online reviews and car tyre e-tailers websites.

2 hours ago, cfs7 said:

to be fair  wrotte all season tyres because i want a summer an with rain with really good grip (dont have any snow) because the tyres that ive now are like "dead" and ive only have the car  two weeks but i dont feel any confidence on corners or roundabouts with the car (grip)

so what do you guys recommend for summer and wet but with a good grip and handling?

1º image front tyre

2 back tyre

cheers

IMG_1261.JPG

IMG_1262.JPG

Usually it is not recommended to mix tyres (some countries even illegal) no matter if they all summer, all season or winter tyres, whatever it’s on the front axle should be same on the rear for best performance, safety and comfort. Your rear tyres look good, why not just buy two more exactly the same conties and job done properly and only two tyres paid. Otherwise best to buy all 4 new tyres. No need an all season tyres only because of the rain. Best tyres for rain are those with straight canals for water drainage, not v shaped like most all season tyres , v shape helps in snow, mud and ice traction. The worst scenario is to mix summer with winter or all season as has been mentioned above, the car will behave strangely and even dangerously and in extreme emergency situations you can easily loose control just because of the tyre mix.  Tyres are the most important in the car along with brakes. 👍

i m gonna keep back tyres the are ok but my main concern is the grip and handling because i have the car two weeks but  i dont have any confidence in corners and roundabouts and im looking a tyres with  better grip and handling i dont mind "sacrifice" fuel economy.

😀

tbh if I am reading it right that tyre is 10 years old & it certainly looks worn  - how much tread depth is left?

2014 the tyer was from previous owner, i bought the car 2 weeks ago.

IMG_1266.JPG

32 minutes ago, cfs7 said:

2014 the tyer was from previous owner, i bought the car 2 weeks ago.

IMG_1266.JPG

Your rear ones look good and not too old from 2018, just try to find same make and model and buy two new for the front and you will be all set. If not available exactly same model then look for what has replaced them conti 6 or whatever name is just to be as much identical to the ones on the car. 

If you want good wet performance just make sure the tread depth is well above 3mm - In that case any decent summer tyre will beat an all season tyre in the wet unless it's super cold.

Pretty much all the premium brands - Continental, Michelin, Pirelli etc. tyres have excellent wet performance these days - I haven't used any personally for a while tho' just due to the eye-watering cost (My first Yaris had some Conti PremiumContact 2E - Excellent tyre in wet and dry, and very hard wearing - £40 a corner; Now they're over £80!!)

The Efficient Grip Compact (And Street Response 2, which is the same tyre but by Dunlop!) is a really good tyre, esp. in the dry, but also not bad in the wet. I would rate it higher than the Conti Eco Contacts, although the newer Eco Contacts are supposed to be a lot better (Alas far too expensive for me!).

I had the Hankook Ventus Prime 3 on my previous car and found them to be really good in wet and dry, but not sure if they do them in your size - I'm currently on their Kinergy something-or-other due to a cockup by my dealer, but they also seem pretty good so far (Caveat - Can't say for sure as the traction and stability control in the Mk4 Yaris is really really good...! I suspect if I put rubber bands on the rims the car would still handle fine! :laugh: )

If you really want good wet performance without spending loads of money, the Uniroyal RainExpert series of tyres are considered to be unrivalled - They do sacrifice some dry performance, but are really cheap and consistently rate very high in all wet tests.

If you really wanted to use all seasons, the only one I'd say you could get away with is the Michelin Cross Climate as it's more like a summer tyre than an all-season. They're really expensive tho'. I wouldn't recommend normal all-seasons as the different characteristics may change the balance of the car in potentially unexpected ways.

Also hit up tyrereviews.com - That site has more than you ever wanted to know about tyres! :laugh: 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have Pirelli P1's all round. Much better than the old Yokahamas that were on it previous. They can be pricey. I highly recommend them.