Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Corolla '21 HB 1.2T MT - Fuel tank capacity issue

Halos

9 hours ago, Swanthecat said:

I needed the car for 2 days and when I clicked on the display I was dismayed to see a range of 15 miles left when I got the car home(the dealer is about 22 miles away from my house). Luckily I found a petrol station and put £5 worth in. The range did not change at all. I pointed this out to the dealer and was told it was a common problem and it can take 5-6 cycles (on off) to register. My point here is 1. Never buy an Aygo and 2. Can I trust the accuracy of the fuel gauge in my Toyota?

On some Toyotas (not just the Aygo), if you put less than 15 litres of fuel in, the range can display incorrectly. The owners manual covers this. This isn't a reason not to buy an Aygo or any of the other models which have this trait.

16 hours ago, Swanthecat said:

Halos, the pictures of the gauges you show above are completely different to mine. Have I misunderstood something?

Probably you have a better edition with digital display while I have the analog display of the Live edition. I have the basic edition with some extras.

Hello all,

I bring a big update on the Toyota Corolla 2021 HB fuel tank capacity problem I am facing.

First I checked the manual. According to the manual (Page 656) when the Low fuel level warning light turns on it indicates that the remaining fuel is appromixametly 7.5 Liters or less!

So when the low fuel indicator turned on I emptied the fuel tank and found out that there are about ~13.9 liters inside instead of 7.5 or less! Then I filled the fuel tank and took 50 Liters to be full, as it was supposed. It is clear that something is wrong... perhaps a misplaced sensor?

With this detailed new info I contacted the Toyota agency from where I bought the car to share my findings. They used to kindly dismiss me and tell me that this is normal, but it seems few days ago they received a similar complaint from someone that have just bought the same car, so I felt like they took me somewhat more seriously. 

The next step is to send them the info and they should forward it to the central agency and eventually when many similar issues arise it should reach the headquarters of Toyota and eventually lead in a recall... but I believe it will take months.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Either way, seems like the extra 6.3 litres are just rocking back and forth in the tank and at some point the light pops on and then doesn't shut down. To be honest I would have been annoyed if it came on/off with movement of the car

Hi Nikos, you must have a lot of patience and time to do all the checking, also determination.                 
Can I ask why it is so important to know exactly the measurement?       
Do you do a lot of km each day? Are petrol stations few where you live? Do you want to always travel in reserve? Basically, why are exact figures so important to you?

Don't let your cars run on reserve fuel. You fuel pumps hate that. Also DON'T try to put that extra 1-2 liters after the pump cuts out it is damaging you fuel lines.

I was reading a bit of news on my phone app and it was warning motorists not to fill the car then fill a bit more to the next click. The tank needs space to create fumes and by trying to completely fill the tank the room is taken away. Just saying what I read.

1 hour ago, Catlover said:

I was reading a bit of news on my phone app and it was warning motorists not to fill the car then fill a bit more to the next click. The tank needs space to create fumes and by trying to completely fill the tank the room is taken away. Just saying what I read.

Filling up the tank to the top is a big no-no nowadays. You will flood the charcoal canister and get a check engine light.

Hi,

In theory overfilled fuel tank leads to flooding the charcoal canister and damage to it , in practice many people does overfill and no problem happens. No need to stress too much about it. Once the pump click, you can simply add just a bit more to round the numbers. Leaving the tank low on fuel it’s also not an issue for the pump or lines, pump get’s cooled by the fuel when fuel goes through it not as been submerged in therefore no problems here to drive with almost empty tank, best not to run dry obviously. The condensation in tank it’s also a myth, at least on modern cars MY 2000-> most of the cars has a plastic tanks and those are located under the car where temperatures are significantly lower than on top of the car that been cooked by the sun all day long, plus the amplitude it’s lower because of that reason too, again no stress necessary. 👍

• Like 2

Hello all,

as TonyHSD writes filling the tank is totally safe and even driving with low fuel nowadays is not an issue but those things have nothing to do with the issue I described... Also I did not write anything about filling the tank after it's been full, when I refer to full tank I refer to the point where the pump pops out cause of the floater.

12 hours ago, Catlover said:

Hi Nikos, you must have a lot of patience and time to do all the checking, also determination.                 
Can I ask why it is so important to know exactly the measurement?       
Do you do a lot of km each day? Are petrol stations few where you live? Do you want to always travel in reserve? Basically, why are exact figures so important to you?

Dear Catlover this is quite simple. I payed for a brand new car with specific specs. Why should I settle down with something that malfunctioning? Of course the issue I am having it is not critical and it is not a major problem but I do not see any reason that it should not be addressed by Toyota. Also imagine my anxiety when I took a brand new car and I found out this issue without knowing what was going on and if this will lead to any problems. Of course now I think that it will not lead to any problems but at the same time no one can promise me that.

Well in my case the reserve light (warning low fuel) comes up at 13.9 liters :-P! I don't do a lot of km each day but until it get fixed I will have to manually calculate that I have like ~100 more km to do until I am truly in reserve (7.5 liters).

20 hours ago, RzrAzr said:

Either way, seems like the extra 6.3 litres are just rocking back and forth in the tank and at some point the light pops on and then doesn't shut down. To be honest I would have been annoyed if it came on/off with movement of the car

Dear RzrAzr, this is now how it works in any modern car (even old cars). You can look it up. This is not what causing the issue. Probably my issue is caused by a misplaced sensor.

3 hours ago, Halos said:

Dear RzrAzr, this is now how it works in any modern car (even old cars). You can look it up. This is not what causing the issue. Probably my issue is caused by a misplaced sensor.

My Toyota is 2010 and depending on the surface where the car is parked the light can come on or off . However since it consumes around 15 L/100km this issue takes care of itself very quickly lol. I don't know I think you're very optimistic that they'll do a recall. Maybe they'll re-print the manuals to change the amount of the "reserve" but to me even that is unrealistic.

I know that when my light comes on I can easily drive around 100km and when the needle is below the last marking I usually refuel and even then, there's about 9-10 litres in the tank.

There have been recalls in the past for similar reasons and I believe in Toyota's quality so I hope they will fix it, but at the end of the day perhaps I am too optimistic as you say.

Your toyota is a rocket :-P.

They can't reprint the manual since the models of 2019 and 2020 don't have this problem, the problem started in 2021. It would be almost comical on their part to take such action.

If the 1.2T were still on sale in the UK, it wouldn't be a recall as it isn't a safety issue. Probably dealt with by a service bulletin.

9 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

If the 1.2T were still on sale in the UK, it wouldn't be a recall as it isn't a safety issue. Probably dealt with by a service bulletin.

The RAV4 of 2019-2020 had a similar problem and a remedy action took place, regardless of it being characterized as a non safety issue.

A recall may be a stict word to describe it but in my eyes if I have to go to get something fixed is somewhat as a recall even if it's minor it requires time and to drive at the dealership.

In any case we shall see. I will let you know if and when I have any updates on the matter and on Toyota's stance.

• Thanks 1

The European market Rav4's weren't affected - it was a US/Canadian issue.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hello there. I own a 1.2 corolla hb, I'm writing from Turkey, the same situation happened in my car, when the current fuel gauge was halfway down, I filled the tank and it took 18.5 liters of gasoline. Is it the same with you? At the same time, when you have a full tank, the range shows 494 km

• 1 month later...

@emreYes, something like that. Let the low fuel indication turn on and then fill with gas to check the capacity.

• 4 weeks later...
On 30.12.2022 at 13:36, Halos said:

@emreEvet, onun gibi bir şey. Düşük yakıt göstergesinin yanmasını bekleyin ve ardından kapasiteyi kontrol etmek için gazı doldurun.

Since where I live is mountainous and far from the city center, I fill the tank early, unfortunately I can't use it until the low fuel warning. Also, on my last trip, when I filled the tank, I used a total of 23 liters of gasoline at a distance of 400 km. Although the tank of the car was officially 50 liters, the remaining range was 190 km and the gas gauge was under half a tank before filling. Is your problem solved or do you continue to use it the same way?

On 30.12.2022 at 13:36, Halos said:

@emreEvet, onun gibi bir şey. Düşük yakıt göstergesinin yanmasını bekleyin ve ardından kapasiteyi kontrol etmek için gazı doldurun.

When I try the vehicle on the flat road, the range indicator never exceeds 540 kilometers. I talked to the authorized service recently and it was said that there was no problem. so either the fuel tank of the vehicle is not 50 liters or the fuel calculation part is wrong.

• 3 months later...

@Halos

Hello from Czech republic

I have same issue with my Corolla 2019 touring sports 1.2 gasoline engine. When is reserve on zero. There are more than 12 ltr in fuel tank. I tried more times drive under the zero and max. What i can put in tank is 38 ltr. Today I visited Toyota servis where I bought the car in Ostrava. They check car and said to me its normal. Because fuel pump need pressure and cannot take air. Than system show error codes and you have to visit service. So basicly according toyota You cannot figure out how many fuel is in the tank which is quite pity when you live for example far from the city like @emre

I dont know what to do now, because Im quite disapointed from Yoyota behavior.

Regards.

On 10/15/2021 at 7:18 AM, Halos said:

There have been recalls in the past for similar reasons and I believe in Toyota's quality so I hope they will fix it, but at the end of the day perhaps I am too optimistic as you say.

Your toyota is a rocket :-P.

They can't reprint the manual since the models of 2019 and 2020 don't have this problem, the problem started in 2021. It would be almost comical on their part to take such action.

Obviously 2019 models have same problem 😞

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links