Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota confirms new Aygo will be the Aygo X (pronounced Cross)

FROSTYBALLS

More good news, good timing as well for 2022 with the normal car lifecycle they got options for future EV version. They gone bit anal on the name X (erm cross), but let them have that. Maybe it for the yoof as they say, but us oldies luv em as well, round our way older owners trump the youngsters.

34 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Earlier articles have suggested that a hybrid top-of-the-range version will be introduced later.

I seem to remember when the X Prologue concept was unveiled, Toyota said then there would be no hybrid/electric versions. If the Aygo X does use the Suzuki engine, Suzuki already have mild hybrid versions - so that may be the way Toyota goes in the future.

Toyota going to mild hybrid would be a backward step IMO

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Catlover said:

Toyota going to mild hybrid would be a backward step IMO

At the end of the day, it depends whether the cost of going full hybrid will price the Aygo out of the city car market.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

At the end of the day, it depends whether the cost of going full hybrid will price the Aygo out of the city car market.

that's what they seemed to be concerned about in the article. Good news for me though with the affordability aspect.

Well if aygo x has a mild hybrid from other manufacturer that will be no different to any other brand, just interior and exterior design difference perhaps. And some future owners may get badly surprised, imagine you had a Yaris hybrid for few years, nice and smooth drive and then decided to buy a new aygo hybrid and turns out to be mild hybrid like others ., oops 😬 

16 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Well if aygo x has a mild hybrid from other manufacturer that will be no different to any other brand

Yes it will be different, as only Suzuki and Fiat offer a hybrid, albeit a mild hybrid, in the city car sector in the UK, and if the Aygo X does use the Suzuki engine, from a cost and development view, it would make sense for Toyota to adopt a similar mild hybrid route as Suzuki. Toyota have already said they're conscious of the budget sector the Aygo X will be in, and a full hybrid may put the car out of reach of the typical Aygo X buyer.

Plus a full hybrid would put the car closer to the Yaris in terms of cost, and may steal some sales off their best seller.

• Like 2

From the equipment level in the new Yaris, I'm hoping Toyota have realised that sort of silly thinking is counter-productive!

One of the reasons I got the Mk4 is it has things that you almost never see in cars in this segment because conventional thinking means they don't want to cannibalize sales from the next segment up. In reality it just costs sales! Give us what we want and we'll buy it!!

For me, there's a big perceived quality difference between Class A (Aygo, Twingo, etc) and Class B (Yaris, Clio, etc). I suspect putting a full hybrid system in the Aygo X will push the price close to the entry level Yaris. Getting to within spitting distance of the Yaris, would make many people go for the Yaris over the Aygo X. 

If Toyota is using the Suzuki Motor, with or without mild hybrid, that saves them a lot in development costs.

• Like 1

I tend to agree - When the Aygo came out I was telling people to save their money and get a Mk1 Yaris instead - Much cheaper second hand, and IMHO a much better built car! (Certainly didn't have the chronic leak problem the Aygo had for so long for instance!)

I also think it looked cuter :biggrin: 

You're right it would be very hard to keep the Aygo in the same price bracket if they stick a hybrid drivetrain in it tho', so it depends how hard they want to hold that. They seem to have gone off the deep end with the Yaris - It's one of the most expensive cars in its segment; The Excel with options costs more than a Corolla! (But to me, totally worth it! :naughty:  :laugh: )

@Cyker Yes, at the time the MK1 was a cute car, my wife certainly thought so, although when I drove it, it felt too light to me, same thing for the MKII. I have never driven an Aygo, but I have driven the 108. If the Aygo and the 108 are similar, then it would be a fun car for short trips.

In France, Toyota are giving better incentives for the Corolla (4500€) than for the Yaris (1000€), but the Yaris is still 3000€ cheaper for a similar trim level, and has the dynamic force engine. The dynamic force engine for the Corolla adds another 2000€, but it is a lot more powerful. With the older 1.8 on the Corolla, I suspect the power to weight ratio is better on the Yaris.

Peter, the Aygo and 108, and the C1 were built in the same factory in Chech republic until recently. Now it’s just the Aygo.  The production of 108 and C1 has ceased, as you may know.

On 10/6/2021 at 7:32 PM, FROSTYBALLS said:

Toyota have already said they're conscious of the budget sector the Aygo X will be in, and a full hybrid may put the car out of reach of the typical Aygo X buyer.

Plus a full hybrid would put the car closer to the Yaris in terms of cost, and may steal some sales off their best seller.

A full hybrid Aygo X would also need to be very close to a Yaris in terms of dimensions in order to offer enough room for the seats, boot and batteries.

Toyota will go for a mild hybrid, which is just a way of making a petrol engine comply with regulations and keep a city car affordable.

Since the first Aygo, the best thing in it was the Toyota-Daihatsu engine. Personally, a Suzuki engine would encourage me to buy a Yaris with a true Toyota engine and a true hybrid technology.

I think there would be more than enough space for the hybrid gear as the new Aygo will only be available in a horrid tubbed out Crossover shape. It's certainly not cute!!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links