Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tyres…….. again

salthepal

My little beauty needs 3 new tyres.

I have one General Grabber 235/70/R16 AT which is nearly new.

Can I mix the AT with GTs or do I have to stick to ATs.

Also I have a Dunlop 215 on the spare which seems a bit odd.  Is this because the 235 doesn’t fit inside the cover?

Thank you.  Haven’t visited here for ages but doesn’t mean I’m any less enthusiastic for my little 3 door baby having done fewer than 60k miles!

My understanding is that it’s not advised to mix tyres.  I think you can get away with having the same tyres on the pair on the front and a different pair on the back.  Frankly, I would not be happy about that but that’s just me there’s little enough rubber in contact with the road to start with without compromising the situation further.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, salthepal said:

My little beauty needs 3 new tyres.

I have one General Grabber 235/70/R16 AT which is nearly new.

Can I mix the AT with GTs or do I have to stick to ATs.

Also I have a Dunlop 215 on the spare which seems a bit odd.  Is this because the 235 doesn’t fit inside the cover?

Thank you.  Haven’t visited here for ages but doesn’t mean I’m any less enthusiastic for my little 3 door baby having done fewer than 60k miles!

I suspect that your little beauty really needs 4 new tyres ... 😉

... and exactly which they should be will probably depend upon what you use the car for. IIRC the car should be shod 215/70 R16s (as I suspect you have on the spare). Quite why you have 235/70 R16s will depend on who put them on - was that you or a previous owner? The RAV4 is 'normally' run on HT (highway terrain) tyres rather than all terrain (AT) tyres as these are quieter on road and better suit the RAVs character. So, why would you want ATs at all?

• Like 2

I agree, Sally, on what the others have said, especially the last post (Phillip) where he said 4 HT tyres. If you not doing off reading, mostly use it on roads, why not put Highway Tyres on. Probably give you a comfier ride and more stability. For sure it’s going to cost, do a good search on the internet and compare prices. As Ernie said, you only have one life and when driving you only got 4 small patches of rubber keeping you on the road.

• Like 2

On 10/6/2021 at 1:32 PM, philip42h said:

I suspect that your little beauty really needs 4 new tyres ... 😉

... and exactly which they should be will probably depend upon what you use the car for. IIRC the car should be shod 215/70 R16s (as I suspect you have on the spare). Quite why you have 235/70 R16s will depend on who put them on - was that you or a previous owner? The RAV4 is 'normally' run on HT (highway terrain) tyres rather than all terrain (AT) tyres as these are quieter on road and better suit the RAVs character. So, why would you want ATs at all?

The 235/70 R16s were put on by the previous owner.

The one AT was put on by a local tyre place about 2 years ago with 7.8mm tread now remaining.  I should have been more aware of what was going on but assumed they knew what they were doing!

I’m now becoming aware of the complexity of tyres.

If the good AT will fit under the cover as a spare I think I’ll go for 4 new ones - now looking at Vredesteins and Hankooks.  Any suggestions?

2 hours ago, salthepal said:

The one AT was put on by a local tyre place about 2 years ago with 7.8mm tread now remaining.  I should have been more aware of what was going on but assumed they knew what they were doing!

I’m now becoming aware of the complexity of ?

That is a dangerous thing to do. Try… assume everyone is an idiot until they prove differently.          
It could well be theAT was the only one of size that had in stock, so glad to pass it on.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links