Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Thoughtful car..

Rav Rob

Sure many will have seen the novel  'are you sure you want the window open or can I close it for you?'  message.

I discovered today it won't windscreen wash when the drivers door is open so you don't get wet. No other car I owned cared!

Still finding little features after 2 years.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, Rav Rob said:

Sure many will have seen the novel  'are you sure you want the window open or can I close it for you?'  message.

I discovered today it won't windscreen wash when the drivers door is open so you don't get wet. No other car I owned cared!

Still finding little features after 2 years.

And yet - they can't tell you when to top-up your washer fluid - hey-ho one step at a time.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lawnmowerman said:

And yet - they can't tell you when to top-up your washer fluid - hey-ho one step at a time.

Pretty sure mine does. Maybe an Excel thing?

9 minutes ago, Rav Rob said:

There's no warning light to that effect on mine / mentioned in the handbook ...

I think it is a good idea to lift the bonnet once in a while, check oil levels in engine, brake pot, water level in engine and inverter cooling (hybrids) and while there just check and refill windscreen washer bottle. It’s not to difficult a job is it?

• Like 1

windscreen wash can be used up in a day in severe weather conditions, especially if the car also has headlamp washers. Given all the safety gizmos that are now mandatory I am astounded that low washer level warning isn’t a legal requirement. 

• Like 1

but if I been driving yesterday in really bad weather conditions I will know I used a large amount of washer fluid or not. If today I got another long journey to do wouldn’t it be prudent for me to simply fill up the washer bottle. I don’t need a warning light, a bell or whatever to remind me. Just another thing to go wrong.

1 hour ago, Catlover said:

I think it is a good idea to lift the bonnet once in a while, check oil levels in engine, brake pot, water level in engine and inverter cooling (hybrids) and while there just check and refill windscreen washer bottle. It’s not to difficult a job is it?

Agreed.  I know this will sound self righteous but I am constantly amazed with how little interest people show in what's not only likely the 2nd most expensive purchase they will make, but also the thing that needs to get them to work, and might endanger their lives if it's not looked after.

It's like mobiles.  If people had say 800 quid in cash in their back pocket they'd check it constantly, but phones are just chucked around like nothing.

3 hours ago, Rav Rob said:

It's listed as a feature on the Excel, so probably only on this model

I was really surprised when I found out it didn't have a washer warning level on most of the available trims. I had seen it was listed as a "feature" on the Excel but thought it was just an omission on the others as it was such a standard thing.

Having said that, I never wait for the warning on my Land Rover, I just have a routine. In fact, I'm not sure it has ever come on so it may not actually have one! Then again, I'm under the bonnet that often filling the flaming Ad-Blue tank, I might put more Ad-Blue in than washer fluid! I won't be sad to see the back of that.

Looked on the app this morning and my PHEV has gone back from the big car park in Derby to Portbury Docks. I've seen elsewhere that this usually happens when something is about to change so hopefully I'll be behind the wheel of it in the next week and work out some of the quirks myself. It been really interesting seeing what you all have to say while I've been waiting so thanks for that. 

I found the tracking on the MyT app once it got into the UK somewhat flaky, but it sounds like it’s nearly on its way to the dealers. 👍

6 hours ago, ColinB said:

It's listed as a feature on the Excel, so probably only on this model

Yes, I guess the guys in the budget trims miss out on the toys..lol

Now don't get me wrong - I regularly check all this stuff. I just can't get my head around the fact that at over £40k they can't fit what is standard on cars less than half that.

After all it is illegal to have no washer fluid.

I remember I had a meeting at a hotel about 10 miles east of Lockerbie the day before the Pan-am plane crashed in December 1988. Total journey about 80 miles (from Glasgow). It was a foul morning and just got worse the further south I ventured - Sleet, Snow, Hail, Rain it was deplorable. My company car was a 2 litre Sierra Sapphire - all fluids topped up by the Garage before I left (I was the After-sales Manager). The washer reservoir had the capacity of almost diddly squat (I soon found out) - unlike most cars now. I ran out in a blizzard crossing open country about 3 miles from the Hotel. A journey I haven't forgotten.

Hence my diligence with washer fluid - and perhaps an unhealthy obsession of it 🤣.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I just carry some in the boot, along with some engine oil and a foot pump!

10 minutes ago, Cyker said:

I just carry some in the boot, along with some engine oil and a foot pump!

Carried mine in the hammock of the 'poverty spec' Design. Now the Dynamic hasn't got that - boo.

10 hours ago, Catlover said:

but if I been driving yesterday in really bad weather conditions I will know I used a large amount of washer fluid or not. If today I got another long journey to do wouldn’t it be prudent for me to simply fill up the washer bottle. I don’t need a warning light, a bell or whatever to remind me. Just another thing to go wrong.

All the modern warning lights and gizmos on the modern cars are great. But I get a feeling of taking ownership of some checks and it gives me a certain amount of satisfaction just checking the oil levels water level, window washer level, tyre pressures etc, because like a lot of forum members I’ve been doing it all my life, and it’s not a big hassle for me.

12 minutes ago, Bernard Foy said:

All the modern warning lights and gizmos on the modern cars are great. But I get a feeling of taking ownership of some checks and it gives me a certain amount of satisfaction just checking the oil levels water level, window washer level, tyre pressures etc, because like a lot of forum members I’ve been doing it all my life, and it’s not a big hassle for me.

We once had a Nissan Micra in the garage. It had not been looked at for so long the dipstick had rusted in the tube and got stuck 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My Volvo didnt have a dipstick- could only check oil level electronically. I do check levels weekly that can be checked AND carry some washer fluid, a tyre pressure gauge and an electric pump. If an engine is worn such you need to carry oil then I understand that However I haven’t had to top up oil between oil changes for at least 5 years that I can recall. back in the real world when the cars I have owned have had low washer warning lights for more years than I can remember, checking every day simply isn’t feasible. The Volvo went through fluid such the reservoir was clearly far too small - a single journey in poor westher could easily empty the contents from full. The reservoir on our SEAT is huge, the washers create a fine wide spray pattern and hardly ever seems to need filling up. 

• Like 1