Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Its good-by from me....

MickJo

This is a good-by from me to the club. My 2010 2.2D has gone. It did all I wanted it to do but the head gasket began to blow between the cylinders and the water jacket.  It didn't affect the running and you wouldn't notice it until you lifted the bonnet to see where the expansion bottle had been blowing coolant on the underside of the bonnet. What looked like steam drifting out of the bottle was actually exhaust fumes. 

It was confirmed by my local dealership (a national group). We discussed the ins and outs of this, which has appeared regularly on the Forum in the past.  The Forum has mentioned that the 2.2 engine was not a problem, only the 2.0 and the larger versions. The managers view was that all the diesel engines of that era were a problem. Yes, he acknowledged that Toyota had designed out the problem on later models, but his view was that they hadn't gone far enough. They had altered the head but in his view the problem was in the block and pistons. It sounds as though the distance between the cylinder crown and the head is too close and this compounds the carbon build up problem. 

Result.  The only true cure was a rebuilt block and pistons. It was an engine out job. Cost -------£4.000.  YES!!.That was for the block, another £2,000 in labour costs.  And there was no guarantee that the head would still need further work at further cost.  The only good thing to come out of this was that he offered me the full market value for the car as PX. 

That's all folks.

Sorry to hear that Mick. What are you getting / have you got as a replacement?

13 hours ago, MickJo said:

The Forum has mentioned that the 2.2 engine was not a problem, only the 2.0 and the larger versions.

The 'original' and acknowledged problem certainly did affect 2.2 AD diesel engines produced between 2006 and 2008, and the associated 'design' issue was resolved in production after that time. It was felt that the 180 bhp engine was more at risk than the 140 bhp engine but I doubt that was scientifically proven.

It was generally considered that the 150 bhp engine introduced with the 4.3.5 was a much safer bet but I/we have heard small numbers of reports of cylinder head issues such as yours - which, while disappointing, is not entirely surprising for a 10 year old 'modern' diesel.

16 hours ago, MickJo said:

The only good thing to come out of this was that he offered me the full market value for the car as PX. 

So what did you change the Rav for? Best wishes for the future.