Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

17" Wheels - 225/45/17 Tyre recommendations? For Auris 2017 1.2T

ATF1979

Hi,

My Excel needs tyres soon, I am most interested in comfort and low road noise, ultimate grip not that important.

The web seems to recommend Michelin Primacy 4 and also Goodyear Efficient Grip 2.

What would it have been fitted with from new?

cheers, Steve.

42 minutes ago, ATF1979 said:

Hi,

My Excel needs tyres soon, I am most interested in comfort and low road noise, ultimate grip not that important.

The web seems to recommend Michelin Primacy 4 and also Goodyear Efficient Grip 2.

What would it have been fitted with from new?

cheers, Steve.

Hey Steve!

So I recently purchased some Pirelli P7s for my Auris, (it has the same wheel dimensions as yours), and I can't fault them! In comparison to the Continentals i had on previously the grip is amazing!

Having said that, every single person I know in the car scene (Apart from people who are brand obsessed) recommend UniRoyal. They're often not far from half the price as the leading brands, however always exceed or meet the leading brands in db, wet grip and fuel efficiency. I have been in a few cars which use UniRoyal, and been in a good few which use Michelin, Pirelli and Continental and UniRoyals grip and stopping power is absolutely incredible!

I have also been in two Suzuki Swift Sports back-to-back, one which was using a Michelin tyre, and the other which was using UniRoyal tyres, and the latter far exceeded!

Definitely wait to see what other people say, but I know I wont be buying any different brand!

Hi, 

I have been using the Goodyear efficient grip performance 2 since they came out in the beginning of 2020 and I am very happy with them. They grip absolutely great in all possible situations and conditions except winter ice and snow since these are specific summer tyres, but I have a separate set of winter tyres for that season. I had previously used the efficient grip performance 1 on 215/45 17 with good  results too. My new wheels size it’s smaller though I went down to 205/55 16 for better comfort and the performance was not affected at all, the car is still agile as always been, the grip in dry, wet, wind or hot summer days it’s excellent, the comfort is top tier and noise levels are low, the car feels like premium one. These tyres actually tend to get even quieter when wearing down, which is good and a sign of quality tyres. Aquaplaning characteristics remains unchanged even after some wear. They are softer than most of other tyre brands and if you about going over sharp potholes or kerbs on regular basis that might not be the best choice for you, otherwise for motorway cruising these are amazing and I can highly recommend them 👍 I can not compare to Michelin primacy 4 but to Michelin energy saver + on my gf car and the Goodyears are quieter., the Michelin rumble a bit. 

3 hours ago, Infiniti said:

Hey Steve!

So I recently purchased some Pirelli P7s for my Auris, (it has the same wheel dimensions as yours), and I can't fault them! In comparison to the Continentals i had on previously the grip is amazing!

Having said that, every single person I know in the car scene (Apart from people who are brand obsessed) recommend UniRoyal. They're often not far from half the price as the leading brands, however always exceed or meet the leading brands in db, wet grip and fuel efficiency. I have been in a few cars which use UniRoyal, and been in a good few which use Michelin, Pirelli and Continental and UniRoyals grip and stopping power is absolutely incredible!

I have also been in two Suzuki Swift Sports back-to-back, one which was using a Michelin tyre, and the other which was using UniRoyal tyres, and the latter far exceeded!

Definitely wait to see what other people say, but I know I wont be buying any different brand!

One website I visited say Uniroyal in America is owned by Michelin in Europe by Continental, which was interesting.                
The pricing at Blackcircletyres do not indicate “not far from half price”, about the same price as award winning Goodyear Efficient Grip 2, they do seem to get good rating for wet weather.
I used to have Uniroyal tyres, but that was some years ago, not really up to date with them except for a quick search this afternoon.   

Tyres I've used that I...

Like:

Conti PremiumContact 2E

Dunlop StreetResponse 2/GoodYear Efficientgrip Compact (Basically the same tyre)

Hankook Ventus Prime 3

Don't like:

Firestone Multihawk

Cooper CS2

Hi Tony - so did your car come with 17" wheels and you downsized to 16"?

What prompted you to do that and can you quantify how great the improvements were?

A little better, much better? and what improvements did you have?

1 hour ago, ATF1979 said:

Hi Tony - so did your car come with 17" wheels and you downsized to 16"?

What prompted you to do that and can you quantify how great the improvements were?

A little better, much better? and what improvements did you have?

Hi, 

my car came with 17” wheels as oem. I decided to buy 16” to get a more comfortable drive and to be able to buy  better quality tyres on lower prices, 17” are more expensive and I drive a lot., I need one set of tyres per year.  Since I have winter tyres fitted to my original 17” wheels 215/45 17 I still use them in the winter and in the summer I drive on 16” 205/55 16 with summer tyres., will do that until I get both sets worn out and then will just buy 4 all season tyres for the 16” wheels and will stop using the 17” wheels. 
For the improvements: with same tyres on both sizes the difference it’s not significant but with the 16” wheels there is slightly less noise and vibrations, slightly better fuel consumption and slightly more rubbery feeling when going through potholes.  The biggest difference is in the tyre prices and that it’s not so easy to damage the wheels while you are parking, with 17” just touch the kerb and the wheels are done. Is it worth changing the wheels perhaps will depend how much you drive per year, if you do 10k miles or less probably just buy a new set of good tyres on your 17” wheels but if you do 20-30k or more then might be better choice to switch to smaller wheels as saving on tyres can pay off for the new wheels, this is actually what happens in my case. 👍

My first hybrid was a 2010 Auris, like Tony’s. The wife drives it now. It has 17” wheels and I find it an uncomfortable ride when on roads with pothole (common these days) and speed bumps. Then I had a 2010 Gen3 Prius, also 17” wheels as standard. The ride was no better. When I decided to get a Gen4 Prius I searched hard for the optional 15” wheels. I eventually got one, still with the original Toyo tyres at 21000 mile. The ride comfort is a lot better, I do try to miss pothole, but if I have to drive over one the ride is not as jarring. Speed bumps are comfier too. It’s the flex in the deeper sidewall that improves the ride I think. The deeper side walls also keep the wheel away from kerbing. Tyres are cheaper too, I can get the popular Goodyear 15” tyre for a little over £62 at the moment, and that’s what I plan to fit when time comes to change (unless another gets better reviews).

• Like 1

The combination of 17 inch wheels and low level of insulation inside the car makes Auris E18 model a noisy and jittery car on pot holes. We had the same problem which was further amplified by the Swedish rough surfacing of roads (to withstand regular snow ploughing during winter). It felt terrible and tiring on longer journeys. There were only three solutions. Change car, go down on wheel size to 16 inch or change to less noisy tyre. We changed all 4 tyres to Nexen nfera sui rated for 68db for our original 17 inch wheels and we are very happy. The noise level and jittery ride have improved beyond our expectation. Yes it is fixable. Why do we have two threads on the same/similar topic?

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links