Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dead battery, strange car behaviour.

brainii

1st gen auris, car fine in the morning, would not start at all (no crank, just clicking noise) in the afternoon. So, I jump started it, car did start however, funny behaviour, all dash lights randomly turning on, check engine, abs problem, steering suddenly becoming heavy, next second was ok, repeatedly. 

Managed to creep my way home, will change the Battery.

However, WHY the strange behaviour? Isn't the alternator taking care of business after car is started? I remember the exact same issues last time Battery died and I jump started 4 years ago (all symptoms gone after new Battery in). Is this an Auris thing? Never happened with any other car I had.

Not Auris thing but all cars can have a strange behaviour when Battery goes flat. The alternator is to recharge the Battery and the Battery itself supply 12v power for anything in the car, therefore if it’s below rechargeable state with low voltage even after the alternator is working you may experience exactly what happened. Replace the battery and measure the voltage going into the battery with accessories off and with all ON, should be over 14v. 👍

• Like 1

Electronics hate low voltage and will do all sorts of strange things, if they lose comms between the modules the car goes, I give up and the dash may light up like a Christmas tree

I measured the voltage yesterday before turning off the car (after running for 30 min after I jump started it), it was 13.6v (without any lights/electrical stuff running), so I'm assuming the alternator is good. when turned off, Battery measured 12.65v. However, measured again this morning, 8.7 volts. So it must be totally dead to lose charge overnight.

2 hours ago, brainii said:

I measured the voltage yesterday before turning off the car (after running for 30 min after I jump started it), it was 13.6v (without any lights/electrical stuff running), so I'm assuming the alternator is good. when turned off, battery measured 12.65v. However, measured again this morning, 8.7 volts. So it must be totally dead to lose charge overnight.

Yes, Battery seems like it’s gone. 🔋

its gone alright. I tested it again today, while car sitting, 12.6v (can't explain this as car was sitting and yesterday it showed 8.7v)... anyway, tried to start car, no crank, tested again right after 10.1 v...

Battery guy came later with his van , pulled out a hefty box looking device with 2 jumper cables, attached to Battery saw analog readings, said Battery was completely dead (which I already knew). Installed brand new 60A D24 Varta battery for 100 euro all in, a GREAT price I found (was 150 euro but I know a guy ) 🙂

• Thanks 1