Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Has Falken tyres improved?

nielshm

Falken tyres are known to be very noisy. Or what??

Searching the internet for new summer tyres, I come across Falken, with very nice reviews and good ratings in terms of noise, efficiency and handling. 

So it makes me wonder... Has Falken improved the last year or so, or are reviews and ratings useless? You that have Falken tyres, and finds them terrible, what specific size and model is it?

I know the link is to a danish webpage, but tyre label speaks for it self, and is has very nice reviews too. Falken ZIEX ZE310 ECORUN 205/55 R16 91H @ daekonline.dk

Never had a problem with mine. I tend to take bends quite quickly and grip seems fine. Noise is not a particular problem on most roads. I suppose I could complain about them only lasting 17k miles but to be fair they were only down to 3mm so could've gone further and as above I do corner a bit fast 🙂

Anyway I was happy to buy two new Falkens when my fronts needed replacing at the last service and the dealer offered a good price.

I was less happy when I damaged one of them on the way back home and had to buy another the next day from a local tyre show 😞

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ve got falken tyres on mine I think the new corollas come with them as standard I do find the tyre noise intrusive on rough tarmac surfaces. Now wether that is down to the lower profile tyres or not I don’t know, when I had the auris that had 205/55/16 continentals and was significantly quieter when the falkens need replacing I am going to try some vreidstiens they are a Dutch tyre and have reasonable reviews for wet grip and noise and are reasonably priced.

Definitely the tyre sizes make a difference between any tyre make and model comparison, same tyre on 205/55 16 against 225/45 17 or 18” will have different characteristics and noise levels. I can’t comment on falken tyres as never used them on any car., but general rule when tyres are noisier to check pressures as over inflated tyres tend to rumble. Another thing with tyres is when they get lower on thread they should become quieter than when new. 👍

I really want to change all 4 of mine to Michelin Crossclimate 2 which I know will be quieter but above all a much safer tyre all round. Problem is I’ve only done 5K miles on the factory fitted Falkens and I’m struggling to come to terms with throwing 4 good tyres away

56 minutes ago, Swanthecat said:

I really want to change all 4 of mine to Michelin Crossclimate 2 which I know will be quieter but above all a much safer tyre all round. Problem is I’ve only done 5K miles on the factory fitted Falkens and I’m struggling to come to terms with throwing 4 good tyres away

You don’t need to throw these at all, take them at home and sell one by one or all together as a set in Facebook or eBay , Corolla it’s a popular car and often people get damage one tyre and instead of buying a new one some can look for used one to much thread depth or some guys just like to buy used tyres (cheaper) for a track days, this is how I usually sell my old tyres and always successful. 👍

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Swanthecat said:

Yeah, I've still got the factory 17" rims and tyres for my Mk4 sitting in the shed; Debating whether to sell the rims or keep them for when I sell the car in many years time! Co-worker wants the tyres for his Auris when his existing ones wear out, but not sure if they'll fit properly!

46 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Yeah, I've still got the factory 17" rims and tyres for my Mk4 sitting in the shed; Debating whether to sell the rims or keep them for when I sell the car in many years time! Co-worker wants the tyres for his Auris when his existing ones wear out, but not sure if they'll fit properly!

Either way you go these are valuable items but also part of the original equipment of your car and when selling you may want to put them back on to get the highest possible price, or perhaps one day may decide you want to go back to its original appearance. If you decide to sell you may be able to get a grand for them. I am keeping my old oem, actually I still use them as they have a good winter tyres fitted and will do another season at least, plus when the car goes to the scrap yard will go with them, the new wheels I have will be for sale to get some £££ back or straight to the replacement car if they fit👌

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Swanthecat said:

I'm in similar situation with only 11k on the falken's .... but saw offer today in Kwik Fit for 15% off for 4 Michelin tyres & bit the bullet. Worked out about £92 a wheel.

discount code is MIKWIK

• Like 1

I got a similar offer but it was TyresOnTheDrive, which I think is Halfords, and was Bridgestone, Goodyear, Apollo, Vredisteinn, @15% for 2 or 3 tyres, and 20% for 4

I went out and measured the tread on my tyres, too much would be wasted by changing noe, though I suppose if I put the 4 tyres removed onto eBay it may work out ok. Goodyear Efficient Grip 2 on my 15" wheels come come below £200.

Wife wasnt happy, her Auris hybrid is on 17" wheels and the Goodyear Efficient Grip for hers is almost double for my 15". However her back tyres (Continental are ok even though 4 year old), and the front (Evergreen- which I find to be good) will last till next summer.

• Like 1

Well bit the bullet today, ordered 4 Michelin Crossclimate 2 from Kwik Fit. Getting them fitted Friday and will report back on how they sound. Spoke to Kwik Fit’s online help line and told them I wanted to keep the old tyres (still over 6mm tread) and will see if they waive the £2/tyre disposal charge making the total around £362 for the 4 after a 15% discount.

• Like 1

I didn't like the Falkens and replaced them with Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5. Noise was high but new tires are always noisier. Fuel economy has improved marginally, dry grip improved a bit and wet grip improved a lot. I'm braking and cornering much more confident on the car. The high torque from 0km/h of the hybrids, specially the 2.0 wasn't easily handled by the Falkens, much better with the Goodyear's.

Either that Goodyear, Michelin Pilot Sport 4 or Continental Premium Contact 6 for the 2.0 cars; the cars with 1.8 engine may get away well with Michelin Primacy 4, Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance 2 but from Conti I wouldn't go down from Premium Contact 6.

5 hours ago, JoaoM said:

I didn't like the Falkens and replaced them with Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5. Noise was high but new tires are always noisier. Fuel economy has improved marginally, dry grip improved a bit and wet grip improved a lot. I'm braking and cornering much more confident on the car. The high torque from 0km/h of the hybrids, specially the 2.0 wasn't easily handled by the Falkens, much better with the Goodyear's.

Either that Goodyear, Michelin Pilot Sport 4 or Continental Premium Contact 6 for the 2.0 cars; the cars with 1.8 engine may get away well with Michelin Primacy 4, Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance 2 but from Conti I wouldn't go down from Premium Contact 6.

Michelin PS 4 don't last well but they have good dry and wet grip

• Like 1

On 10/18/2021 at 10:00 PM, Swanthecat said:

Well bit the bullet today, ordered 4 Michelin Crossclimate 2 from Kwik Fit. Getting them fitted Friday and will report back on how they sound. Spoke to Kwik Fit’s online help line and told them I wanted to keep the old tyres (still over 6mm tread) and will see if they waive the £2/tyre disposal charge making the total around £362 for the 4 after a 15% discount.

Had mine on for a week now, you won't be disappointed , I find big improvement over the Falkens for noise. .... I did note that when I checked tyre pressure after kwikfit installation that they had over inflated them a bit..... no great issue, corrected using my digital pressure gauge .

• Like 1

On the tyre topic,

just got my winter set installed today and washed  and cleaned the summer Goodyear efficient grip performance 2., these are good tyres indeed, I can highly recommend to anyone looking into upgrade from oem Falkens. The EGP 2 lasts quite long I had done around 40k miles and still have about 6mm of thread left and no any major cracks, swelling, deformation or any defects, well done Goodyear., they may look a bit worn but honestly they are still  excellent in wet and particularly deep water, minimal risk of aquaplaning and minimal road noise, tested last few days in the torrential rain 🌧 we had. Here some photos for reference if anyone interested, how they age. 😉👌

93834DAA-BF6B-49B7-ABF7-F30B0983C97D.jpeg

94226092-644C-4AB2-9688-4B244335818C.jpeg

0D104FBD-FE1A-489D-BEAB-9382285F62D0.jpeg

C635BF5A-2E40-4384-B5D0-691A3B2E9444.jpeg

5F00DFC7-2607-45A8-9B1C-5D12BE9EFDB2.jpeg

6 hours ago, ACameron said:

Had mine on for a week now, you won't be disappointed , I find big improvement over the Falkens for noise. .... I did note that when I checked tyre pressure after kwikfit installation that they had over inflated them a bit..... no great issue, corrected using my digital pressure gauge .

I had the Crossclimate + on my Focus and was seriously impressed. I believe the Crossclimate 2 are a big improvement even on the earlier version so I am indeed looking forward to getting them fitted. The only problem is the same one I had when I was a kid, if I ever got a sledge you could guarantee warm winters and no snow for a decade - same thing will happen here - there won’t be a flake of snow all winter for me to test the tyres and drive past people in bushes with a smug look on my face

Sadly my experience of driving in snow is that other people skid into me, not into the bushes. Good to have great grip and be the innocent party in any incidents but nowadays if it looks like snow I prefer to stay at home.

• Like 1

Well all did not go well with Kwik Fit and my new tyres. The mobile fitter arrived and within minutes announced he could not remove the locking wheel nuts and did not want to apply excessive force as he was convinced the locking nut would break. Since the car had a wheels off service only 3 weeks ago his prognosis was they had over tightened the nuts. Fast forward to 30 minutes later the fitter disappeared with my tires unfitted and after I had harangued the dealer for doing this, I actually tried to loosen the nuts myself with the supplied wrench. All 4 came off with ease. Unbelievable. I spoke to the service manager at the dealership and apologised unreservedly and he was actually very good about this. He even offered to price match Kwik Fit on the Michelins which was above and beyond and I would have done this but I need them fitted at home at the moment. Kwik fit try again on Sunday morning so sadly I think I may need to remind them righty tighty and lefty loosey

• Sad 1

On 10/11/2021 at 7:29 PM, Cyker said:

According to the man that fits my tyres and does the winter/summer switch, as a rule of thumb, rubber should be replaced every 5 years, or so, or when when worn down (of course). Is this so ?

Depends on the tire (make and model) and climate as well as use and wear. My partner had a Fiesta form new and had to replace all tires (rear included) as the walls were perishing. I don't want to say a make as I can't remember 100%, but they were known for it - similar with other premium brands. Rears had plenty of tread. IIRC, it was probably at 2 years or less so if she had used the 5 year rule, she would probably have had a blow out.

Lesson here, check visually regularly and use a tire fitter that will at least visually inspect (and one you trust obviously) all the tires. The fitter we use we have never had a problem with and they do check tread wear (depth and even wear) as well as side walls etc. with the vehicle off the ground.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Stopeter44 said:

According to the man that fits my tyres and does the winter/summer switch, as a rule of thumb, rubber should be replaced every 5 years, or so, or when when worn down (of course). Is this so ?

Car tyres are very similar to engine oil. Both have a shelf life when stored and both have lifetime while in use even though been very minimal. The rubber compound ages with time and use and in both scenarios with or without proper use after a certain time they loose properties like elasticity, softness, shear, grip etc. From safety prospective general rule when buying a new tyres is they have to be up to 2 years old max although older stock may be ok but these will not last as long as a fresh stock after fitting and you may need to replace sooner than the of a fresh tyres were fitted, plus they might be noisier and loose some grip in wet conditions. For tyres already on the car  it is recommended change every 5 years as safety precaution against tyre failure caused by structural damage while driving at high speeds, cracks in the walls or de vulcanisation., separating the thread from the rest of the tyre, or tyre cupping. That’s why the advice given earlier to thoroughly check and inspect tyres by the fitter or car owner is crucial 👌.  If your car is garaged and you drive relaxed, rotate your tyres regularly 6-10k miles, don’t keep your car often exposed to direct sunlight, you may be ok with one set of tyres for longer than 5 years and be safe. Check and inspection, that’s all we need 👍 Here it’s an interesting video how to read tyre wall marks and understand when the tyres were made and their specs. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Swanthecat said:

Well all did not go well with Kwik Fit and my new tyres. The mobile fitter arrived and within minutes announced he could not remove the locking wheel nuts and did not want to apply excessive force as he was convinced the locking nut would break. Since the car had a wheels off service only 3 weeks ago his prognosis was they had over tightened the nuts. Fast forward to 30 minutes later the fitter disappeared with my tires unfitted and after I had harangued the dealer for doing this, I actually tried to loosen the nuts myself with the supplied wrench. All 4 came off with ease. Unbelievable. I spoke to the service manager at the dealership and apologised unreservedly and he was actually very good about this. He even offered to price match Kwik Fit on the Michelins which was above and beyond and I would have done this but I need them fitted at home at the moment. Kwik fit try again on Sunday morning so sadly I think I may need to remind them righty tighty and lefty loosey

That is just shocking! :eek: 

4 hours ago, Stopeter44 said:

Others have replied so not much to add, but I'd say that's not a bad rule of thumb. I drive a lot due to work so my tyres generally last a couple of years if that! :laugh: 

Personally, under normal circumstances, I look to replace tyres when a) The tread goes below 3mm or b) If it starts to develop cracks in the rubber, indicating it's losing its elasticity and is becoming brittle (Not great when you're driving through the pothole hellscape I do!)

Obv things like sidewall punctures, tears, bulges, cuts etc are all insta-change situations, but touchwood these haven't been as common, unlike back when I had a Mk1 and was changing a tyre a year due to such things for some reason! (My tyres must have found every up-turned nail, screw and bolt on the roads in north london! :laugh: )

One other thing is, when a tyre is in use it's constantly being flexed which helps keep the chemical compounds bound up, but if they're kept in storage under poor conditions, esp. with hot/cold cycles and around chemical solvents like you'd find in say a shed, they can actually degrade almost as fast as the various chemicals migrate out of the tyre, leaking to embrittlement in parts and stickness in others, and cracks forming.

• Like 1

I remember the "good old days", when you brought a new car and just kicked the tyres every now and then - and that was it.

These days with TPMS i get paranoid as the pressures are always changing with heat and speed being factors. My right rear tyre goes down about 2 pounds every month so think it's got a slow puncture.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mikw said:

I remember the "good old days", when you brought a new car and just kicked the tyres every now and then - and that was it.

These days with TPMS i get paranoid as the pressures are always changing with heat and speed being factors. My right rear tyre goes down about 2 pounds every month so think it's got a slow puncture.

This is good to be checked and if it’s a nail in that’s caused the slow puncture you may be able to do it yourself with cheap repair kit like that one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Emergency-Car-Van-Motorcycle-Tubeless-Tyre-Tire-Puncture-Repair-Kit-Tool-GF-/274554475275?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m2548.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

some are negative about these but if they are fit correctly they seal well and can work for the lifetime of the tyre, I rather have a stripe like that than a nail in my tyre, rubber is better sealant than metal. 👍

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Cyker said:

One other thing is, when a tyre is in use it's constantly being flexed which helps keep the chemical compounds bound up, but if they're kept in storage under poor conditions, esp. with hot/cold cycles and around chemical solvents like you'd find in say a shed, they can actually degrade almost as fast as the various chemicals migrate out of the tyre, leaking to embrittlement in parts and stickness in others, and cracks forming.

Which reminds me, presently I have a full size spare wheel in the car, but it has only be used for a couple of days in 6 years, makes me wonder what state the tyre is in now! Our car is usually in the garage when not in use, especially on hot days, and I don't have to commute to go to work.

When I quoted you, I was wondering the wisdom of keeping the stock tyres on the stock rims and then, many years from now when you sell the car (or not), having you or someone else take them to the dump. The stock rims will always be worth something to somebody.

Edited by Stopeter44
more content, fewer words

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links