Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Aygo 2021 - What happens if you start a car which is already started

Nixes

Hi, I'm a new owner of Toyota Aygo (2021) and it happens accidentally to start the car in time in which the car was already started? 
Does this damage the car or the car has protection about this? 

Thanks in advice 🙂 

Moved to the Aygo club.

15 minutes ago, Nixes said:

Hi, I'm a new owner of Toyota Aygo (2021) and it happens accidentally to start the car in time in which the car was already started? 
Does this damage the car or the car has protection about this? 

Thanks in advice 🙂 

Do you have keyless or 'normal' (start by turning key)?

The starter motor will make a bad noise, don't do it too often otherwise you could damage the flywheel and/or starter

• Like 2

Why would you turn the starter key when the engine is already running?  You got a new car with warranty, BUT the warranty excludes owner damage.  Or are you saying there is a fault with the car and it turns the starter itself? If that is the situation you need to take it to the dealer immediately.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Catlover said:

Why would you turn the starter key when the engine is already running?  You got a new car with warranty, BUT the warranty excludes owner damage.  Or are you saying there is a fault with the car and it turns the starter itself? If that is the situation you need to take it to the dealer immediately.

It was a mistake 😞, but there is no damage on the car from what I can see. I was told to not do it again, and so for that reason I'm interested if this can damage the car, or Toyota has same protection 

2 hours ago, flash22 said:

The starter motor will make a bad noise, don't do it too often otherwise you could damage the flywheel and/or starter

Or, if the car is as smart as my current Peugeot 208, it doesn't do anything in particular.

18 minutes ago, Stopeter44 said:

Or, if the car is as smart as my current Peugeot 208, it doesn't do anything in particular.

The question is - Is Aygo so smart? 

• Haha 1

@Nixes Well, I wasn't trying to say the Aygo was dumb, I just thinking that recent model cars, would be smarter than older model cars, i.e. there would be some "logic" in the cars electronics that said "if motor running, then ignore dumb driver" or something to that effect. Did you get the crunching noise ?

• Like 2

Old starter motors had a solenoid that when the key was turned to ignition would push the starter cog onto the engine cog.  Once the engine started the solenoid would deactivate and the cog was thrown off.

If the engine was running this solenoid would be deactivated so even if you turned the key the starter cog would not engage with the engine cog.

This stopped the risk of accidental starter motor burnout.

This has been this way for years so I doubt the aygo would be any different.

Might even be clever electronics these days.

• Like 1

I've done that several times in my old Mk2 Yaris :laugh:  Usually when I thought the car had stalled only it hadn't, or if the stop-start system kicked in and I thought I stalled it :laugh: The car would even do it to itself, when the stop-start system activated and then the traffic moved so it immediately tried to start again before the engine had actually stopped!

I can see why they took it out of later cars... It didn't even kick in 99% of the time, but occasionally would, out of the blue, for a handful of seconds before starting the engine up again. I'm pretty sure it generated more CO2 than it saved over its lifetime :laugh: 

• Like 2

If you flick the key with the engine running, it fires the starter solenoid, the smart key systems get a signal from the ecu to tell it's running, so it acts as an interlock

tbh I have done it in the past. Forgot to look at the dash or just forgot that I started the car meh.

• Like 2

If you turn the key to the start position when the engine is running then IF you hear a horrible grating noise the starter motor has tried to engage in the already turning flywheel, BUT if you DON'T hear a horrible grating noise then the starter motor is inhibited by the electronics so no damage can happen.

OP - can you remember if there was a horrible noise when you turned the key to the start position with the engine running?

39 minutes ago, PetrolDave said:

If you turn the key to the start position when the engine is running then IF you hear a horrible grating noise the starter motor has tried to engage in the already turning flywheel, BUT if you DON'T hear a horrible grating noise then the starter motor is inhibited by the electronics so no damage can happen.

OP - can you remember if there was a horrible noise when you turned the key to the start position with the engine running?

Yes, there was a horrible noise, but only for second. 

13 hours ago, flash22 said:

If you flick the key with the engine running, it fires the starter solenoid, the smart key systems get a signal from the ecu to tell it's running, so it acts as an interlock

tbh I have done it in the past. Forgot to look at the dash or just forgot that I started the car meh.

But from what I can understand of the flash22 answer is - Aygo has a such a solenoid system? 

1 hour ago, Nixes said:

Yes, there was a horrible noise, but only for second. 

But from what I can understand of the flash22 answer is - Aygo has a such a solenoid system? 

The solenoid is to engage the starter Bendix gear onto the flywheel (so ALL cars have one whether they have a pre-engaged starter or not), the important question is "Is that solenoid disabled when the engine is running?" - and from your reply that there is a horrible noise for a second it IMHO confirms that the Aygo does NOT have a system to prevent the starter engaging when the engine is running (I can't test it as my Aygo has keyless start/stop).

1 hour ago, PetrolDave said:

The solenoid is to engage the starter Bendix gear onto the flywheel (so ALL cars have one whether they have a pre-engaged starter or not), the important question is "Is that solenoid disabled when the engine is running?" - and from your reply that there is a horrible noise for a second it IMHO confirms that the Aygo does NOT have a system to prevent the starter engaging when the engine is running (I can't test it as my Aygo has keyless start/stop).

So basically I should be aware to not do it again, but I think from one time there is no damage to r Bendix gear.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Nixes said:

So basically I should be aware to not do it again, but I think from one time there is no damage to r Bendix gear.

I agree.

• 5 weeks later...

A modern automatic car has a protection so it does nothing when you throw the lever in reverse or park while driving forward.

I wouldn't try that on an Aygo mmt if I had one.

Starter thing : it will probably not be damaged even if you make this mistake 5 or 10 times. 

But I would keep the mistakes also to a strict minimum and do that as little as possible.

Good to know the contact lock isn't mechanically protected against making mistakes.

Advantage : when you stall it, you don't need to go to OFF position but you can just turn the key forward.

If I remember well, my old starlet also didn't have protection against the starting mistake in 1990.