Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Avensis 2010 T27 Accelerator delay

MikeEH

I stall my T27 2010 Avensis on average 3 times a week and also did the same with my previous T25 2006 Avensis. I accelerate normally from a stand-still and as I initially press the accelerator, there seems to be a delay, the revs dropping momentarily before they start to increase. It happened on both of my Avensis cars. The only other time I experienced this was years ago on my father's 1955 Morris Minor (803cc). Then it was known as a flat-spot and was cured in my father's car by fitting a different needle in the SU carburettor. I find it annoying especially when I'm holding the car on the footbrake (clutch depressed) on a slight incline whilst waiting for the car in front to decide what it wants to do. I quickly lift my foot off the brake onto the accelerator and the flat spot happens and I stall. I've had Fords, BMCs and Nissans in the past but have not experienced this flat-spot on them. I've changed the spark plugs and air filter but makes no difference. My son and daughter also usually stall the car when they first drive it and after a while of not driving it so I don't think it's me. Has anyone else experienced this and overcome the problem?

which engine (although I suspect I know already)?

• Like 1

I have 2010 T27 1.8 Avensis and I think that delay is normal feature in cars with electric accelerator. It takes a while to get used to it.

I would guess the engine is Valvematic petrol. My car does not exhibit the 'flat spot' like you have described. I have stalled my car a few times, especially early when I first got the car. The stalls normally happen during slow manoeuvres, plus I was still using my old Mk1 leanburn for a while, until I sold it. A couple of times recently, I had let the clutch up without really putting enough revs, and the 'anti-stall' kicked in revving the engine. The engine sometimes holds revs for a few seconds before dropping to idle. The throttle can be a little jerky when driving in on light throttle while driving along. I have cleaned the MAF sensor a couple time in the past. It has been mentioned that their is an ECU update, but I don't know if my car has had it done.
Generally the car drives fine and at normal town speeds I tend to be in high gears and low revs, once moving. If I need more power/torque, I then select the appropriate gear. 
I would try cleaning the MAF sensor using CRC MAF cleaner, check the inlet hose from the air filter to the throttle body and the vacuum hoses. 
Finally get diagnostics check, looking at the throttle pedal.   http://www.japan-parts.eu/EU/2/781240C.png

• Like 1

It's the 1.8 petrol engine.

So it has an electronic accelerator, mm, not quite instant then!  I also stall sometimes during slow manoeuvres, more than any other car I've had. Probably just have to try harder to get used to it. Maybe give it welly every time I move off...........and give the impression I'm 72 year old boy racer..........

Thanks for replies.

3 hours ago, MikeEH said:

So it has an electronic accelerator, mm, not quite instant then!  I also stall sometimes during slow manoeuvres, more than any other car I've had. Probably just have to try harder to get used to it.

That is what I would have guessed from your original post.

The Valvematic has very little torque at low revs & in the Avensis has quite a high clutch imo - the combination regularly sees people stalling it until you adapt to it. Most people don't take 15 years to do that though! 😄

Btw the electronic accelerator should actually be faster than a mechanical linkage as it is tied into the ECU. https://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-features/what-is-electronic-throttle-control-ph-explains/38558

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MikeEH said:

So it has an electronic accelerator, mm, not quite instant then!  I also stall sometimes during slow manoeuvres, more than any other car I've had. Probably just have to try harder to get used to it. Maybe give it welly every time I move off...........and give the impression I'm 72 year old boy racer..........

Thanks for replies.

I was correct, but as Scott said, the Valvematic engine has little low down torque and not responsive to pedal inputs all the time. I have got used to my car. Here is the image of the accelerator pedal didn't appear properly in my previous reply. 
http://www.japan-parts.eu/EU/2/781240C.png
Here is my post from the past - 

• Like 1

I've only had the T27 car for nearly 2 years, but suffered the same issue with my old T25 that I had for 3 and a half years.

Thanks for the link to your post from the past, Konrad, it's good to know that it's not necessarily just me having the issue. I, like you, try to drive as economically as I can, and there seems to be the problem. I'll try being more heavy-footed from now on.

Can I ask what an auto EPB is and would there be one on my car? You also mention the smooth economical engine - what would economical be for you? I'm getting 32 mpg no matter what I do or where I go. It's 32.2mpg driving locally and 32.7mpg at a steady 65 - 70mph on motorways. The spec reckons 42mpg on motorways but I can't get away from 32mpg. I've reset the display about 3 or 4 times but still get the same mpg.

Bear in mind that the official fuel consumption figures that manufacturers legally have to quote are derived from a laboratory based testing regime. The official figures are intended to provide a standard comparison between different cars, rather than real world driving information.

The testing regime in place when your car was tested did not represent what owners will achieve, and often was optimistic. This has now been replaced with an updated test which is a more accurate representation of real world consumption - but the Avensis wouldn't have been retested under the new regime.

I'm disappointed with the fuel economy of my T27, especially after the excellent economy in my previous 1.8 petrol T25. 35 - 37mpg driving locally and achieved 49.9mpg on the M4 coming home to Wales from Brighton, travelling around 70-75mph.

15 hours ago, MikeEH said:

I've only had the T27 car for nearly 2 years, but suffered the same issue with my old T25 that I had for 3 and a half years.

Thanks for the link to your post from the past, Konrad, it's good to know that it's not necessarily just me having the issue. I, like you, try to drive as economically as I can, and there seems to be the problem. I'll try being more heavy-footed from now on.

Can I ask what an auto EPB is and would there be one on my car? You also mention the smooth economical engine - what would economical be for you? I'm getting 32 mpg no matter what I do or where I go. It's 32.2mpg driving locally and 32.7mpg at a steady 65 - 70mph on motorways. The spec reckons 42mpg on motorways but I can't get away from 32mpg. I've reset the display about 3 or 4 times but still get the same mpg.

Hi Michael, if you go to my profile, you can find a lot of posts on various subjects. My car is one of the early T27 TR Tourer (estate), being a '58 plate (Jan 2009). I took ownership September 2015, when it had 52,000miles. It is on 96,000 miles. Fuel consumption is 35mpg with mainly local driving. Range with full tank shows over 400 miles with full tank, but have gone a lot further doing long drives on the motorway. Where I live is hilly. I do all my own general servicing - oil (0w-20 fully synthetic) and filter, air and cabin filters. Spark plugs change every four years with Denso Iridium plugs. Coolant change happened when I replace the water pump and auxiliary belt. I periodically check the tyre pressures and have 35psi all round or close. I extra change is I got a full size alloy in place of the space saver. I had a puncture on the rear and the space saver felt horrible, even for the 5 miles of use to get the repair. Remember with front wheel puncture, it is best to put the space saver on the rear, then put the rear wheel to replace the front! That is why I got the full size spare. 

Auto EPB means the parking brake auto releases on the early manual versions, then the facelift versions added auto engage. 
Another problem with the early non-NAV versions of the early TR spec cars, is the bluetooth only supported voice calls and depending on the phone like my old Nokia Lumia, voice navigation, not music. I had to add a bluetooth USB adapter via the CD changer port, at the rear of the stereo. For me, this gives me the best infotainment experience with little outlay. Better navigation options with Google Drive, Here WeGo and Waze. Only thing missing for some is no reversing camera.

That's my experience with my car, but as I mentioned above, there are other topic I have posted on.

Thanks for the information.

Funny, but I have a Nokia Lumia, given to me by my son when he upgraded years ago, but I don't need bluetooth as I won't answer the phone when in my car. Don't like being disturbed! Thinking of doing the same regarding a full size wheel, did it for my daughter with her Nissan Juke, made a great difference.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links