Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How quiet is Toyota Prius on motorways

TonyHSD

Hi guys, 

I am curious how quiet is Toyota Prius gen 4 from 2016 onwards when driving on motorway at speed, 50-60-70mph? Is there anyone that has a Prius and Corolla from 2019 or  had experienced both cars? I see a few posts regarding issues with latest Corolla and Yaris as been noisy on motorway journeys and I am interested to learn about Prius particularly as reference for future purchase. Many thanks to all that likes to share their thoughts and experience. 

HI Tony: Our Prius is a 2017 business edition. I have also owned Prius 2 and 3 top of the range models. It depends a lot on the make and type of tyre used and type of road surface. None of the Prius cars I have owned were excessively noisy. Prior to owning Prius cars I owned an Avensis. that was a lot noisier than the Prius. I have driven the Yaris and Aygo both were quite noisy compared to the Prius. None of the passengers I have carried have ever  said the Prius has excessive road noise. Suggest take a Prius for a test drive, 

• Thanks 1

Don’t know about the prius but the corolla is definitely noisier than the 2015 auris I had probably due to those 18” low profile tyres.

• Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, Chris Dance said:

HI Tony: Our Prius is a 2017 business edition. I have also owned Prius 2 and 3 top of the range models. It depends a lot on the make and type of tyre used and type of road surface. None of the Prius cars I have owned were excessively noisy. Prior to owning Prius cars I owned an Avensis. that was a lot noisier than the Prius. I have driven the Yaris and Aygo both were quite noisy compared to the Prius. None of the passengers I have carried have ever  said the Prius has excessive road noise. Suggest take a Prius for a test drive, 

Hi Chris, 

Thank you for sharing your experience. I had a few Prius gen 3 and Prius plus previously and also don’t remember been noisier on motorways. Looking into both Corolla and Prius gen4, the latest seems it has more sound insulation in the engine bay plus slightly more aerodynamic shape that might also help been quieter. 

Hi Tony, no matter if it’s 50 on a dual carriageway of 70 on a MWay, it’s about the same noise. It’s not loud either. Of course there are different surfaces on roads inc MWays. Some it is ultra quiet, others rumble rumble, but you will be well aware of that. My tyres are 15” Toyo NanoEnergy (whatever that means).

• Thanks 1

For me the motorway surface makes the biggest difference - Old worn asphalt and those sand-coloured concrete slabs are the worse (Just lots of noise, with the joins on the concrete slabs adding a DUHDUM DUHDUM DUHDUM the whole time. Maddening!)

I literally sigh with relief every time I hit some new tarmac - So smooth! So quiet! It's just bliss!

• Like 3