Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

To fix or not fix

RenaTs

Hi,

My 2002 Yaris failed it’s MOT and I am wondering if it is worth fixing it. 

• Offside Rear Suspension component mounting prescribed area excessively corroded significantly reducing structural strength sill (5.3.6 (a) (i))
  • Offside Rear Suspension component mounting prescribed area excessively corroded significantly reducing structural strength inner sill under car (5.3.6 (a) (i))
  • Nearside Rear Suspension component mounting prescribed area excessively corroded significantly reducing structural strength inner sill under car (5.3.6 (a) (i))
  • Offside Front Service brake lagging in operation (1.2.1 (d)

Previous MOTs never mentioned anything about rust. Otherwise, the car runs fine and hasn’t got any other problems. I use it daily to go to work/pick up my kids and do around 3,000 miles a year. I was quoted by 2 different garages roughly £400-500 to fix it. Is this reasonable? Is it worth fixing these issues? Or shall I scrap the car?

Many thanks

I think you have to be realistic and accept that this is a 20 year old car and that further corrosion issues are likely not far behind these.

Only you can make the call as to whether repair is worthwhile. Perhaps ask for a second opinion from a different garage and also ask whether the general state of the car warrants expense. If it will last another 2 or 3 years after spending £500 on it then it might be worthwhile, if its going to fail again on something similar next year then its not worthwhile.

£500 probably exceeds the market value of the car but that doesn't always mean its not economic to repair if there are no other major structural issues looming.

Good luck and let us know how you get on. 

• Like 2

I largely agree with Mooly....though I think I'd getting rid tbh.

There's a possibility that you'll just be chasing your tail but of course only you can make that call.

If you can get it repaired really cheaply and get a MOT on it then it has some "value" at least...currently it has none.

There may be other corrosion that is not part of the MOT inspection but affects the body structure.  In a crash it might crumple more than you might expect. 

I had a supposedly good boot area on on car, not a Toyota, but cleaning it on day a drain plug fell out.  It turned out the boot floor was being held together by the paint. 

Irene I think you would be throwing money at this car every year to get it through the MOT. It’s probably not worth it, plus transporting children back and forth to school etc needs a safe and secure car. However if £500 can put it through the MOT for a couple of years then it would be worth spending the money. However at the end of the day the decision is yours.

Thank you all for your replies. If it could last for another year following the repairs, then I am happy to fix it as I really love driving it. But there are no guarantees with old cars hence I am asking around as I can’t decide what to do 😩

It depends on many things.  If the basic mechanics are ok then yes, a bit of welding could get you another 12 months.  A bit more cash spent might identify other areas and a cheapish waxoyl could get you a bit more time.

Do you have the funds to get a decent replacement car?  If not then whatever you buy next will be a gamble so it might be worth sticking with the car you already have and know?

As said depends on the general condition of the car and if you can afford a newer car and as above sometimes better the devil you know. We had a couple 20+ year old cars and comes a point when you have to way up what's worth doing and what's not. One year spent few hundred fitting a new sump, but was worth it as got good few more years motoring, but knew anything major engine or clutch it was time to say goodbye. The car itself was only worth £500, but we owned it from new so we had our monies worth. You do get attached to cars, my sister did to her old one, but it soldiered on and we sold it roadworthy with MOT, it was just time to get a safer more modern car and it was developing a few niggly faults and with that age car certain spare parts could be an issue.  Unfortunately, only you can decide, good luck either way.

• Like 1

I depends if you think you can sell it and get a better car or not - I stuck with my Mk1 Yaris D4D for aaaages, as there was (And IMHO still is) no better car for me in existence, so to me it was worth me keeping it going as long as possible, although to be fair I never had anything so structural go on it.

I only got rid of it because of KHAAAAAAN! and his stupid ULEZ :crybaby: 

I 'upgraded' to a Mk2 and it had far worse build quality than the Mk1 did...

TBH £4-500 isn't too bad for something like that so if it were me I'd repair it. This is not a fantastic time to buy a new car as well, as the prices are just getting silly! 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links