Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Jack - silly question

nlee

For the newer owners out there, did your car come with jack and wheel nut wrench, even with the tyre repair kit? I got the towing eye (and locking nuts) but nothing else. I guess there is limited use for them without a spare but my last car had them with only a repair kit and there are spaces for them in the moulding even though there is no space for a spare wheel. Thought I'd check with forum members before I go back to the dealer. Cheers.

You’ve got what is normal.  Anything else you’d have to buy yourself.  I bought a spare wheel kit, not cheap, but a good kit, a wheel locking screw and sorted out a support for the wheel to be locked against myself. It all seems pretty solid and I’ve been driving with it for some time now.  The kit included everything I needed.  There was a previous thread on the subject.

Yup, that's normal for a UK car - no spare wheel so you don't need the means to change it!

As I understand, the towing eye is a legal requirement, so you get one of those. The jack and wheel nut wrench may be legally required in other geographies that also use the repair kit ... ?

No jack or spare ,got a space saver off eBay then purchased a jack ,just make sure jack goes high enough to get wheel off ground ,the one I already had from our old honda frv wouldn't do it. 

That's great. Thanks all. I won't make a fool of myself by moaning at the dealer now!

• Like 1

Remember, the only stupid questions are the ones you don't ask. 

1 hour ago, Roy124 said:

Remember, the only stupid questions are the ones you don't ask. 

And sometimes that stupid question is also the one other people are afraid to ask…….

To be fair I'm not sure if you could even lift a RAV4 hybrid/PHEV with a normal screw-jack! :laugh: 

What sort of 'screw jack'? 

The ones I see on line can handle any weight you want but I am not sure they are suitable for a car. 

One car one I know is slotted into the car and is offset from the car body. 

The other jack which I have is a scissor jack which is screwed when under the car.  It that the sort you mean? 

I meant a normal car scissor jack, no idea where screw jack came from :laugh: 

To be fair it does use a screw!!

Cyker, I thought that might be the case.  The sort of jack that has to stand on a firm surface lifting a car that is standing level on a road with no wind. 

Like call Green Flag or whoever and keep an eye out at a convenient, convivial country pub😁

Rarely do things like that happen in the idea place. 

I once waved  down a motorist on a bed as I saw his tyre deflate.  I gave him cover as we changed his wheel.  Daytime but wet, uphill, and left hand bend. 

He was a Swafega salesman and gave me some samples. 

A "screw jack" is a pillar with a base.  Inside the pillar is a threaded rod, about 1.5cm diameter,.  The "nut which rides up and down the thread is attached to an arm, which is engaged into a rectangular tube welded to the underside of the car in the usual 4 places.  A horizontal  crank handle is fitted at the top of the pillar, which turns a gear which meshes with the gear attached to the top of the rod, such that as you turn the crank, the arm moves up/down.  It is a superior design, and a shame that it has all but died out.  I had one with my Rover 105R.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links