Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Auris Satnav

Egregious

Please can anyone explain in laypersons terms how to update the satnav in my 2018 auris tourer.  I have looked at the Toyota Map Update User Guide and I cannot understand it. My current map id is 2017 v2

You need to have an account on MyToyota on the Toyota website, and have your car added/registered there with the headunit identified,

Then you can either get free or paid download to the latest software/maps (guessing you may still have balance of your 3 years of updates on a 2018 car, but you need to check)

Once you have either access for free, or purchase a map care (cheaper if keeping the car) then you add the required update to your basket and check out. This gives you an archive (.zip) file with all the necessary files in it. You need to expand that .zip file and copy the expanded contents to a USB stick.

Plug the USB into the USB port in the car, switch on and after a few moments it will show its reading the USB info and guide you through. It will ask for a long code, which is provided on the website when you add the software/map to your basket and check out. 

You can either do one, many or all countries - the more you do the longer it takes. Last few times I have done just "UK" maps and its about 20 mins. All europe took something over an hour - key here is you must NOT switch off the audio system or engine (start stop and hybrid is fine as long as its switched "on")

I've assumed some knowledge above, so have a read and see if it helps - the Toyota guidance is a bit dated and the screens look slightly different.

• Like 1

On 10/12/2021 at 5:10 PM, trashman1965 said:

You need to have an account on MyToyota on the Toyota website, and have your car added/registered there with the headunit identified,

Then you can either get free or paid download to the latest software/maps (guessing you may still have balance of your 3 years of updates on a 2018 car, but you need to check)

Once you have either access for free, or purchase a map care (cheaper if keeping the car) then you add the required update to your basket and check out. This gives you an archive (.zip) file with all the necessary files in it. You need to expand that .zip file and copy the expanded contents to a USB stick.

Plug the USB into the USB port in the car, switch on and after a few moments it will show its reading the USB info and guide you through. It will ask for a long code, which is provided on the website when you add the software/map to your basket and check out. 

You can either do one, many or all countries - the more you do the longer it takes. Last few times I have done just "UK" maps and its about 20 mins. All europe took something over an hour - key here is you must NOT switch off the audio system or engine (start stop and hybrid is fine as long as its switched "on")

I've assumed some knowledge above, so have a read and see if it helps - the Toyota guidance is a bit dated and the screens look slightly different.

Does this work with a 2015 pre facelift model also? Thanks 

From memory, yes, pretty much the same procedure...I had a pre face-lift 2015 and did the upgrade a few times. You'd need to check if there is a newer map on mytoyota.

• Thanks 1

It really hacks me off that car manufacturers still charge for updates. Google maps on your mobile or a Tom Tom with lifetime updates once your car system is outdated.

As regards TomTom, Garmin sat navs, etc with lifetime updates - the lifetime is determined by the manufacturer. For example, in 2018 TomTom dropped updates from 66 sat navs as they determined the useful life had been reached.

4 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

As regards TomTom, Garmin sat navs, etc with lifetime updates - the lifetime is determined by the manufacturer. For example, in 2018 TomTom dropped updates from 66 sat navs as they determined the useful life had been reached.

Agreed - I no longer have a TomTom, but still get (or did get) emails about updating...they then changed to emails saying I could no longer update and had to buy a new one...here's your link.

Also, bear in mind the cost to buy a "mapcare" package is the same form memory as a single update, but includes updates and online services as well.

Thanks to all those who have responded to this question.

From Egregious and GregDrakes

Can I ask a question about the sat Mac please. I have the touch and go according the what the version says, but the voice command on the steering wheel doesn’t work. Comes up with a message, I thought the touch and go will have this? 🤷‍♂️

There were 2 versions on the pre face-lift...the H spec (which became standard on facelift) had wifi and speech recognition as well as 3D building/landmark. The non H version had only bluetooth and no speech...the button is there and error is normal as no speech. It is of limited use anyway...takes longer to skip a track than just using the audio buttons. Waste of space on all cars IMHO 

Thank you pal. Not just me doing something wrong then 🙂

On 10/12/2021 at 5:10 PM, trashman1965 said:

One follow up question re your first paragraph - How is the Head unit identified?

23 hours ago, trashman1965 said:

There were 2 versions on the pre face-lift...the H spec (which became standard on facelift) had wifi and speech recognition as well as 3D building/landmark. The non H version had only bluetooth and no speech...the button is there and error is normal as no speech. It is of limited use anyway...takes longer to skip a track than just using the audio buttons. Waste of space on all cars IMHO 

Skipping tracks it's complete overkill. It's handy for some things, like finding stuff in a music library.

For example :
<button> "Play album <name of album>".

Plays the right one off my iPhone 99% of the time, from a library of 7000+ songs. Same for artists, playlists etc. Way easier than faffing around with the head unit browser, and safer when you're driving.

56 minutes ago, GregDrakes said:

One follow up question re your first paragraph - How is the Head unit identified?

You got me on that one...almost certainly there is a way but I know originally the H was a cost option. ..guessing something in the system info would give it away.

System Information screen gives a version number. 

If it ends in H then it's the fully featured one, L and it's the basic unit. Off the top of my head the H with speech recognition and 3D maps etc is only on the Excel.

Auris.png

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links