Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Coming from Auris 1.6 valvematic choose between Auris 1.8 hybris TS or Corolla 1.8 hybrid TS or Lexus IS 300h

kaboo

Hi everyone,

I am looking to buy a new old-car. Currently drive a 2011 Auris 1.6 Valvematic that has done 90k+ miles, we bought it 5 years back with ~50k miles on it. Yes it shows signs of age but we have had absolutely 0 problems with it especially because we were very new drivers when we got it, so its done very well. Ours is a Toyota family - we are spread over three continents and all preferentially drive Toyotas. My dad drove a diesel one for many years with 0 problems, his employer preferentially used Toyotas and they loved it for its low maintenance, reliability and parcticality. My brother on the other side of the pond drove a Corolla for 7 years, bought it at 70k+ miles and then sold (yes still functional and someone bought it!) at ~150k+ miles.

So obviously we are looking to buy another Toyota. Candidate cars are Auris 1.8 hybrid TS, Corolla 1.8 hybrid TS, and Lexus IS 300h. Here are my questions and will be very grateful for your suggestions/inputs/advice.

1. I am inching towards Auris 1.8 hybrid TS because it will be the cheapest of the three. But not sure if coming from Auris 1.6 valvematic which has ~135bhp - how sluggish/slow would Auris 1.8 hybrid feel like? Would we find it to be too dull to drive coming from a petrol Auris? We also had Fiesta Ecoboost for a little while. And in terms of handling and fun there was a lot of difference between the two ICE. Fiesta felt nippier and fun to drive than Auris and also was quieter. We are both very low fuss drivers and value reliability, comfort and safety more than performance. After a while, we did get used to the Auris driving. Between the two us, I prefer to have a more engaging car but I complain the least about Auris. My wife who wants a totally fuss free driving complains the most about how Auris struggles to accelerate on the slip road before merging into a faster road! I find it to be ok, if on rare occasions I want to accelerate faster then I drop a gear and rev up. So, now, not comparing it to Fiesta or any other car, just comparing to a manual 1.6 petrol valvematic Auris, how different/slow-to-accelerate would Auris 1.8 hybrid be? If not too much then high mpg of hybrid Auris should win us over.

2. Would Corolla 1.8 be a better option for a longer term family car? But then why would you choose used Corolla 1.8 hybrid over LExus IS 300h? From the approved used stock on Toyota and Lexus websites, 20-30k Corolla 1.8 hybrid TS is similar in price to Lexus IS 300h with 30-40k miles. Both are hybrid so good mpg, Corolla TS would have a bigger boot but Lexus IS is a saloon too so there should be adequate space, plus Lexus should be more reliable and we will have a chance to own a more posh car 😛 !! On paper Lexus IS has more bhp than Corolla 1.8/2.0

Many thanks

Hi and welcome,

from all three cars you shortlisted the Corolla would be my first choice. It’s the newer from all, it’s got the gen 4 hybrid technology which means best as efficiency and driving, looks the best imo, it has the latest safety futures, and  it’s most practical car too. The Lexus IS  the most luxurious indeed however it’s not that roomie inside and been a saloon although have a large boot its not as practical as estate car, also it’s got previous gen hybrid drive train and bigger 2.5 ice and although faster over Auris and Corolla will not be as efficient, if that matter to you. About the performance all three will do way better than 1.6 Auris, I had been trying  1.33, 1.6 & 1.4d and 1.8 hybrid and guarantee you the hybrid it’s way faster and more engaging to drive than all others variants., so nothing to worry here, it will be definitely an upgrade from what you have now. Good top spec Auris TS hybrid will be close price to Corolla ts hybrid in icon tech or design trim. , I will rather have the Corolla. 
Good luck 👍

Thank you, wow. So if Auris 1.8 hybrid TS will be faster/ more agile/ more economical and more fun to drive than our old 1.6 Auris then I would be inclined to buy that. I know Corolla is nicer - that would be the car we 'want' but Auris probably is the one we 'need'

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kaboo said:

Thank you, wow. So if Auris 1.8 hybrid TS will be faster/ more agile/ more economical and more fun to drive than our old 1.6 Auris then I would be inclined to buy that. I know Corolla is nicer - that would be the car we 'want' but Auris probably is the one we 'need'

Yes, good choice too.👍 1.8 hybrids are faster than other variants because they get help from electric motor plus no need to change gears when need more of a punch, just press accelerator more and the car comes to life, they also drives so much easier, no clutch to press., no gear changes, they are really different from other automatic cars and driving experience it’s similar to electric cars. You have 3 driving modes to choose Eco, Normal and Power. 

• Like 1

I agree with what Tony says, the Auris hybrid is a different beast to your 1.6 Auris. All Toyota hybrids are absolutely relaxing to drive, the “auto” gearbox, is as Tony said, unlike “standard” auto boxes.          
Tony mentioned 3 driving modes, Eco, Normal, Power. Especially in winter I always in Eco mode, summer also but sometimes Normal mode, but for you and your wife, as you are joining MWays via slip road etc you may benefit pressing the Power button. This gives you the fee,img of a bit of punch, it certainly responds quicker. These buttons can be pressed “on the go”, so is convenient. The TS Toyota will give you a good carrying capacity.

• Like 3

I have a 2015 Auris hybrid TS. Acceleration is quite adequate in power mode. Certainly doesn't feel underpowered. Floor it and it goes.

If you have the funds buy the Corolla TS around a year old or buy new from Carwow or the like. It's more modern looking and has more features like adaptive cruise control and as said most up to date hybrid system.  Good space being an estate, ideal family car.

Looks great in Denim Blue, or Scarlet Flare.

James👍

• Like 3

10 hours ago, kaboo said:

I would test drive both and see which you prefer. I haven't ever driven the Corolla estate hybrid.

James.👍

16 hours ago, kaboo said:

Obviously you have your head screwed on the right way…… there is a big difference between what you need and what you want, and you got it right.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Catlover said:

Obviously you have your head screwed on the right way…… there is a big difference between what you need and what you want, and you got it right.

Corolla only real benefit is Adaptive Cruise Control and a bit better economy. If you can get an Auris for half the cost of the Corolla, then why not. Some of the features I wouldn't use anyway like LKA. My Auris is Icon plus +, Satnav, Heated front seats, Single zone CC. Cruise Control, Reverse camera. Tinted rear windows. Electric windowsx4. Do wish the window switches were illuminated like my 1996 Volvo 940.

James👍

• Like 2

Thank you everyone really helpful to get advice here. 

We will definitely go and test drive, but good to do your own research and narrow down on a couple of choices. We are not too picky about cars, very picky about other things in life but for cars we just want them to last, be reliable, safe and comfortable, and now as environment friendly as possible. 

Ideally we will look for 2-5 year old and 20k-40k Auris TS or Corolla TS. I guess Corolla will be more efficient and punchier (thats what the websites say), better looking and would have more tech. But it wont be that much more efficient to compensate for the price difference. I have cruise control on this 1.6 Auris but never use it. Wouldn't really need reverse camera or SatNav either. Rear parking sensors are enough if needed at all and my phone can do satnav if there isn't one. But the money we save can be spent on other things that we value more or that would be more fun for us!  

So thank you again for allaying our worries of hybrid being dull! I cannot seem to understand the reviews from those Auto websites, not everyone wants to drive like Schumacher or Hamilton! 

• Like 2

Hi again, have booked test drives for the coming Saturday. Had one more question - mileage vs age - which is more detrimental, especially for a hybrid? For example 2 year old but 30k mileage versus 4 year old with 20k?

Its Toyota so I would still be fairly confident of it lasting - but if you have to rank between these two situations?

1 hour ago, kaboo said:

Hi again, have booked test drives for the coming Saturday. Had one more question - mileage vs age - which is more detrimental, especially for a hybrid? For example 2 year old but 30k mileage versus 4 year old with 20k?

Its Toyota so I would still be fairly confident of it lasting - but if you have to rank between these two situations?

Hi,

these two examples are so close each other that there will be no difference between 2 years + or - and 10k miles + or -, used cars condition usually depend of previous owner maintenance, driving style and love of their properties. Some people just trash everything they have access to and some simply look after their stuff well and age or mileage are simply numbers that may not matter at all but save you some cash. You can check both cars and see which one is in better general condition and which one represents better value for money , Auris registered before April 2017 has £0 road tax and those registered after this date has £140 if I remember correctly. , this may make more sense when we’re talking about age difference, Auris before 2015 has issues with headlights. Best to look for cars MY 2015 -> Good luck 👍 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TonyHSD said:

Hi,

these two examples are so close each other that there will be no difference between 2 years + or - and 10k miles + or -, used cars condition usually depend of previous owner maintenance, driving style and love of their properties. Some people just trash everything they have access to and some simply look after their stuff well and age or mileage are simply numbers that may not matter at all but save you some cash. You can check both cars and see which one is in better general condition and which one represents better value for money , Auris registered before April 2017 has £0 road tax and those registered after this date has £140 if I remember correctly. , this may make more sense when we’re talking about age difference, Auris before 2015 has issues with headlights. Best to look for cars MY 2015 -> Good luck 👍 

I’ve just bought an auris 2015 pre face lift. I read all the complaints about the headlights so I got the dealer to fit the optiwhite bulbs. I hadn’t driven it in the dark until this week. I work shifts and leave the house around 4am, it’s pitch black and I felt the lights were absolutely fine. 
my previous car was a 2008 bmw with xenon adaptive headlights and I feel no less off on the auris lights. 

i wouldn’t  let that out you off anyway. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Hi,

Hi, thanks. Can I ask why there was no road tax for Auris registered before April-2017?

31 minutes ago, kaboo said:

Hi, thanks. Can I ask why there was no road tax for Auris registered before April-2017?

By the Gov UK legislation hybrid cars registered up to this date were exempt from road tax, then the rules has changed. , the cars are the same though. New electric cars are also £0 road tax and cc free up to 2025, then will be charged. 

5 hours ago, kaboo said:

When buying used I have always judged a car on its condition not it’s number plate.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, kaboo said:

Tax scheme changed. Anything registered 1st March 2001 - 31st March 2017 is based off the Co2 emissions and anything < 100g/km is £0. April 2017 onwards the first year is based on the CO2, then a flat rate of £145 after that for a hybrid.

All on the gov.uk website : https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax-rate-tables

Naturally mine is about 5 weeks into the new scheme. 🤦‍♂️ 🤣

• Like 2

Thank you 🙂

Could you knowledgeable folks also share what to look out for/check and which questions to ask from the seller when looking to buy a used hybrid? The ones I had in mind were:

1. Service history

2. MOT history

3. Battery health check history?? (is there such a thing)

Hi, 

all normal checks and questions when buying any used vehicles apply to the hybrids too, important note to double check: 

service history intervals 10k miles or 12 months 

mileage true check 

Previous accident repair , water flooding damage 

mot history to see any recent advisories 

tyres and brakes condition, brakes on hybrids get rust easily and may cost you excess of £600 to replace parts

Battery health check is only check and you are usually get one included in your annual service through Toyota dealer.

My advise is to buy the car from reputable dealer with warranty, by default they come with 3 months just in case you find out some issues shortly after your purchase, then get the car serviced in Toyota dealer and you will get one year or 10k miles warranty, each year you do that you will get extra year cover up to 10 years or 100k miles. These particular models are widely used in the taxi trade you need to know and ask about that too if you don’t like ex taxi car and again mileage check. 
Good luck 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

for me it would be the lexus Is300h i've had 2 Is's and they're brilliant,

i also had 2 x Auris & a Ct 1.8 hybrid's

with driving the above cars i feel i'm in a position to recommend the Lexus

its a so much more refined drive over the other cars more responsive

you'll have a 48mpg return so its not a thirsty car to own.

• Thanks 1

My son drives lexus IS 300h (2015 model) and having driven it and comparing it to our Auris 1.2T, I can safely say that the comfort, the sound insulation, the interior, the sound system, the acceleration response and sheer driving dynamics of Lexus thrashes Auris any day every day! It is apples and orange comparison. We have even driven the newer model lexus and it is even quieter and better in every way. So really no comparison at all. The only down side of Lexus is the service cost. Here in Sweden the major service costs 600 Euro and the intermediate costs 400 Euro. The service costs for Auris would be 450 and 250 major/intermediate respectively.

Thank you... yes I am still tempted with Lexus IS 300h. I am not really looking for luxury, but when prices are comparable to Auris/Corolla TS, I cannot seem to find too much argument against IS 300h. Especially because you get more comfort, safety and even more reliability. I mean check this screenshot, the cheapest Toyota approved Auris hybrid TS of similar mileage I found was £15.5k (although that was from 2016)

image.thumb.png.2f4cba6f7886bdb33566d52e2f2c8c32.png

Good to check every day for car prices especially recently used car market went crazy , Auris is one of the cars that has increased in value by 60%, Lexus is the better car no doubt.,  it’s a higher class and premium brand, can’t compare with Toyota Auris at all, two different leagues. There is something else to notice, although might be as reliable or even more as others are saying the maintenance cost will always be higher plus unexpected repairs not covered by insurance or warranty, if you on a budget or don’t like and not prepared to spend money on any car Auris will be better for you, if you don’t mind eventually high cost , more expensive tyres and general maintenance Lexus is the one to choose. Now to understand which one is best for you, you need to answer these two questions: would you rather buy and drive Vw or Mercedes? I know my answer for myself straight away. 
Good luck with either of the cars you pick 👌

• Thanks 1

One concern with the Lexus IS300h is the high cost of a front end shunt due the explosive bonnet pistons used to reduce pedestrian injuries. They reportedly cost £1200 each; more details:    Bonnet Popped up - Lexus IS 300h / IS 250 / IS 200t Club - Lexus Owners Club