Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cigarette lighter socket replacement

venomx

My cig lighter doesn't work at all. 

I need to have it repaired/replaced so I can connect a bluetooth audio device to it.

Where's the best place? A local garage or Halfords ?

Thanks

I take it that you have checked the fuse?

Make sure there is nothing stuck in it - then check the fuse (15A CIG) its on the passenger side, stick you head it the footwell and look up you may have to remove a trim cover to find it - the cover has 3 spring clips you push forward

29 minutes ago, Heidfirst said:

I take it that you have checked the fuse?

I don't want to mess with the battery/fusebox myself at all. I have booked myself in to a Garage this week, they said they'd " have a look at it "

1 minute ago, flash22 said:

You don't have to touch the battery to check a fuse

Sorry I meant the fusebox. I'll have a look on youtube

The mechanic did say it's most likely the fuse, they haven't looked at it yet

So I bit the bullet and tried myself. I fixed it !

Basically there was no fuse at all in the cig lighter socket. So took a spare one out of the front of the car and now it works !!

• Like 1

See you can do things yourself, and it saved you money, have some faith in yourself - you learnt to drive and passed a test didn't you

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, flash22 said:

See you can do things yourself, and it saved you money, have some faith in yourself - you learnt to drive and passed a test didn't you

Ya thanks for the assistance.

I took a picture of the fusebox under the passenger side, then compared it to the diagram in the owners manual. Took a spare 15amp blue fuse from the front of the car and now it's fine. I did check an interactive diagram ( https://www.startmycar.com/toyota/yaris/info/fusebox/2007 ) for reference, I found it very helpful

I wonder why there was no fuse in the first place ? Car has had two previous owners, one of which a family member. The socket looked like it had never been used

The previous owner may have had a dash cam fitted with a fuse tap

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Question.

Why are some of the fuses upside down ? The blue 15amp fuse had to go in slot 43, which is directly below that black connection ( thats where Halfords installed the Dashcam ) So two sockets above the three yellow fuses

20211014_134839.jpg

Do you mean in terms of the writing? The fuses are not polarized, so can go in either way round. It may even be that half were one way and half the other to make it easier to read or some other odd scenario...or more likely they were installed by a production machine/robot who would just pick a fuse and not worry about the writing.

• Thanks 1

Also, did they fit a 15 amp fuse to the fuse tap or is that what was installed in the spot they used for the fuse tap...there could be a simple answer here as to why you had no 15 amp fuse in the 12V supply 🙃

9 minutes ago, trashman1965 said:

Also, did they fit a 15 amp fuse to the fuse tap or is that what was installed in the spot they used for the fuse tap...there could be a simple answer here as to why you had no 15 amp fuse in the 12V supply 🙃

The 15amp fuse on the fuse-tap has a slightly different design to the OEM ones installed on the rest of the fusebox. I'd assume Halfords brought their own 15amp fuse

On 10/14/2021 at 4:39 PM, venomx said:

20211014_134839.jpg

Are these  " normal " or " Mini " fuses ?

I'm looking to buy some spares.

I'm certain they're mini.. as it says here https://www.startmycar.com/toyota/yaris/info/fusebox/2007

And the normal sizes don't have 7.5amp ones, so I'd assume they're mini ?

They are the mini type fuses

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuse_(automotive)

the fuse tap has 2 fuses one from the original slot and the other that supplies the "tap" in this case It's for the camera

fuse label direction it depends on who ever fit the fuses tbh it doesn't matter unless you have bad OCD also this fuse panel may be shared across a few models

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, flash22 said:

The red fuse is a low profile mini the ones in the box are mini

Halfords seem to call " Low Profile Mini "  Micro Blade...

https://www.halfords.com/tools/fuses-electricals-and-fixings/fuses/halfords-assorted-micro-fuses-15%2F20%2F25%2F30-amp-hfs202-871764.html

If you look at the size specs, they match the low profile mini size you posted from Wikipedia

They're the ones, I got it wrong

LP fuses have rounded ends, not a pointed blade

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Where exactly is the cigarette lighter in the car. I can only find the USB socket.  As with previous items, the manual is of little use

2021 yaris cross just in front of the shifter iirc - read the manual

Hope the spare fuse from “the front” was a spare and not from another live circuit?