Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Sending route to car

PAISLEY1903

I noticed you can send a route from myT to car. 

I have no idea how to find it once I'm in the car 😂 - any ideas! 

I believe that only happens if the car has an Internet connection, phone hot-spot in most cases. 

strange I looked in favourites!  I shall try again tomorrow !

I think you need the car set to the Toyota WiFi and then it's definitely in Favorites. It took me awhile to get it sorted but after that decided I was not impressed at using the inbuilt navigation switched to permanently using Waze.  Of course you can set routes in Waze at home and then connect and run the navigation when in the car.

As above, the destination is transmitted to the car via Wi-Fi using Toyota Online service (rather than AA or ACP) and then it turns up in Favourites.

3 hours ago, ernieb said:

I think you need the car set to the Toyota WiFi and then it's definitely in Favorites. It took me awhile to get it sorted but after that decided I was not impressed at using the inbuilt navigation switched to permanently using Waze.  Of course you can set routes in Waze at home and then connect and run the navigation when in the car.

That could be it Ernie.  Mine is set to connect to the house wifi. What actually is Toyota wifi! I see I have it as well all set up but not sure what it is!  I will google it! 

Since I turned off traffic and dynamic re route or whatever its called my inbuilt satnav has been perfect.  

If you’ve used say Android Auto it switches to the phones Internet  via bluetooth or WiFi tether. To do updates and download the routes etc. you must change the connection in the settings to Toyota.  I generally try to get the Head Unit to communicate to do an update or similar and then it gives me an option to switch to the Toyota network.  Interestingly things like charging, cabin conditioning work whatever the WiFi setting.  As I’ve said I got frustrated with the tendency for the built in navigation to take very literally things like the shortest route and it’s obstinacy in refusing to modify a chosen route when I’d decided to move from the navigation instructions. Example, when I’m coming home via the  M1 from a Derbyshire trip I choose to come off at 11A rather than 11, Waze accepts the change and calculates a new route but Toyota try constantly to reroute me back onto the original route even at the point when it’s obvious to me that I’d be adding miles not reducing them.  The tolerance to make the change seems way out. I know others are happy and that’s great and why should it bother me when I’m almost home and don’t need the navigation? For me it was a test as to what might happen if I was totally lost and more reliant on the routing than I would normally be.

6 hours ago, ernieb said:

I'm similar, much prefer Google Maps or Waze, which was why it was essential that my next car had Android Auto/Apple Carplay. To be fair, I haven't given the Toyota navigation much of a try yet but I've never really liked the inbuilt navigation of any car I've had. I even bought a Tomtom in a previous car that had inbuilt navigation because I disliked it that much.

The only shame with using Android Auto is that the Google Map isn't displayed on the Home screen of the MM system, it still uses the Toyota map. I like the home screen because you can display other information at the same time. The other is that when you use the Toyota system, the turn instructions "pop up" on the MID, no matter what you have on the display, whereas Google Maps doesn't seem to. It's good that you can set the display for the Google Maps next turn though, I wasn't expecting that.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ernieb said:

If you’ve used say Android Auto it switches to the phones Internet  via Bluetooth or WiFi tether. To do updates and download the routes etc. you must change the connection in the settings to Toyota.  I generally try to get the Head Unit to communicate to do an update or similar and then it gives me an option to switch to the Toyota network.  Interestingly things like charging, cabin conditioning work whatever the WiFi setting.  As I’ve said I got frustrated with the tendency for the built in navigation to take very literally things like the shortest route and it’s obstinacy in refusing to modify a chosen route when I’d decided to move from the navigation instructions. Example, when I’m coming home via the  M1 from a Derbyshire trip I choose to come off at 11A rather than 11, Waze accepts the change and calculates a new route but Toyota try constantly to reroute me back onto the original route even at the point when it’s obvious to me that I’d be adding miles not reducing them.  The tolerance to make the change seems way out. I know others are happy and that’s great and why should it bother me when I’m almost home and don’t need the navigation? For me it was a test as to what might happen if I was totally lost and more reliant on the routing than I would normally be.

I have my home wifi @ernieb when I switch on car it comes up saying downloading POI and if I go in and search for any updates it does all that as well.  Have I set it up wrong? I dont have it set to my phone hotspot at all..  

@PAISLEY1903, if it says it's downloaded the POI, which is what mine said when I tried it, then it must be in the Navigation Favorites.  I had to look through them as it was not at the top of the pile but it was there and when selected displayed the 3 route type options.  I guess you must be frustrated as you seem to be doing the right things and not getting the right result.

Screenshot 2021-10-15 at 06.43.11.png

• Thanks 1

I find Send to Car a very basic implementation of a good idea. On the computer it presents only one route, no options.  It does not allow for intermediate way points to be added after the route has been calculated, and never seems to get to the car before I do ( unless I am doing it all wrong😊

The whole point of pre-planning your route at home is just that, Planning. 

I quite agree about the car program tries to redirect back to its original choice though I find it does give up after a critical point. 

27 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

I find Send to Car a very basic implementation of a good idea. On the computer it presents only one route, no options.  It does not allow for intermediate way points to be added after the route has been calculated, and never seems to get to the car before I do ( unless I am doing it all wrong😊

The whole point of pre-planning your route at home is just that, Planning. 

I quite agree about the car program tries to redirect back to its original choice though I find it does give up after a critical point. 

Very much a work in progress…..

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links