Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lost steering while driving???

cfs7

I dont know how to explain it well but...

a week ago going to a straight road  while driving  i felt like steering wheel lost "control"  for miliseconds  like had no steering,scary ********** out of me

and today while making a turn to the left in the midle of the corner i felt the same like lost steering going in front instead of turning  the rest of the corner but very fast (like milisedonds).

i was driving slowly on both situations and my front tyres are not new but i had other cars with tyres way worst that ive now and never happned to me like this....

was not raining as well very hot day.

any ideias???

cheers

27 minutes ago, cfs7 said:

a week ago going to a straight road  while driving  i felt like steering wheel lost "control"  for miliseconds  like had no steering,scary da sh%$%t out of me

and today while making a turn to the left in the midle of the corner i felt the same like lost steering going in front instead of turning  the rest of the corner but very fast (like milisedonds).

i was driving slowly on both situations and my front tyres are not new but i had other cars with tyres way worst that ive now and never happned to me like this....

any ideias???

cheers

That shouldn’t happen even if your tyres are not new, especially when cornering very slowly. Tyres do deteriorate with age even with little mileage on them. Cars will fail to pass inspection, (NCT) in Ireland the equivalent of the MOT in the UK with aged tyres. In the interests of your and everyone else’s safety I would have an expert mechanic check out your steering and tyres.

but if it is power steering failure it shouldnt turn the warning light on dash?

I presume you never had the misfortune of electronic steering die on you. 

Without EPS, wheel feels quite different, rigid and sloppy at the same time, you feel every bump, kinda like you have flat tires maybe,  totally different feel.

I have driven lots of cars without power steering, even tractors, and they all felt normal, safe, but when EPS died on my Auris, and had to drive without it to a garage, well, it was quite a challenge.

Usually what people do on Auris is disconnect the Battery, after that unplug the module for some 10 minutes, plug it back in, and it works. Disconnecting the Battery only does not help. Or you can replace the module only, with a used one, not that expensive.

This is in case the module goes back, which is most common.

EPS needs a lot of power to operate, so if you had a bad Battery, and do only short trips, so battery voltage is low, might also trigger it.

• Like 1

to be fair i feel the wheels very light whille driving never rigid, and i really do short trips when happen 2 times to me its was like miliseconds like turning for one side and the wheels going to another very fast never had this before even with realy bad tyres and older cars.

34 minutes ago, cfs7 said:

to be fair i feel the wheels very light whille driving never rigid, and i really do short trips when happen 2 times to me its was like miliseconds like turning for one side and the wheels going to another very fast never had this before even with realy bad tyres and older cars.

If the wheels are being turned in a different direction then that suggests the power steering assistance is misbehaving, so I would suggest fitting a new module.

Sounds scary alright. Let us know how you get on

22 hours ago, cfs7 said:

a week ago going to a straight road  while driving  i felt like steering wheel lost "control"  for miliseconds  like had no steering,scary ********** out of me

any ideias???

cheers

Hi,

From your description the way the car had behaved sounds like understeer., this can happen in very unexpected circumstances on dry roads and sunny days at relatively low speeds too. I had seen your front tyres from previous posts and they look lower on thread in comparison with the rear one and this can increase the risk of understeer by much, especially when driving on loose gravel or dirt roads., or going over metal drain covers., anything that is more slippery than dry asphalt. If you can and want you can swap front with rear tyres and drive the car like that for a while and see if this happens again, but you need to be careful as the risk of oversteer will rise up with worn out tyres on the rear. Best to buy all 4 new tyres and get your car checked for wheel alignment and suspension in a garage., if on the budget just buy two new tyres same or very close like the one you have on the rear. 👍 Here more about understeer and oversteer

hi there,

i just put 2 new tyres  on front today lets see how behaves now...

IMG_1352.JPG

IMG_1353.JPG

• Like 1