Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Hatch vs TS

ablackash

Hi I want to buy new car and really like the hatch but can’t make my mind between hatch and ts, mostly driving B roads and sometimes motorway and will be ok with 1.8 and have 3 people with me, I watched a lot of videos and it seems TS is a bit bigger in terms or legroom, don’t know if hatch will be enough and comfortable driving with 4 people or ts will suit me better? And for the boot am not concerned that much as don’t need very big boot but of course sometimes may come in handy. Haven’t got chance to check the hatch but I checked the ts and it’s nice and I have plenty of legroom. Any experience and suggestions please.

The Touring Sport has a longer wheelbase than the hatchback (2700mm as opposed to 2640mm), which is why there is more legroom in the rear compartment. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I wouldn't want to subject an adult to the rear of the HB for more than quarter of an hour.

The boot on the HS is pretty decent. It's large enough to get all my golf gear in it. Bag, clubs (driver has to be outside of the bag), electric trolley and two pairs of golf shoes. There's no room for anything else but what else could I possibly want to use the boot for? 😄

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Thank you guys, probably Touring Sports will suit me better even if I like the hatch more 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ablackash said:

Thank you guys, probably Touring Sports will suit me better even if I like the hatch more 🙂

Having driven both the TS has (or feels like it has) slightly softer suspension than the hatch if that matters to you

• Thanks 1

I'm on my second HB now and tbh as far as my use case is concerned it's fine for 2 adults (up front) and our two small dogs. With how the seats are positioned we wouldn't get anyone sat in the back (without dogs of course) so although it's probably a 4/5 seat car imo it's 2.

I love this car (which is why i bought a second one) but tbh i wouldn't recommend the HB for families there's simply not enough room and if you have the 2.0ltr or a spare tyre then you will have less boot space as well.

I prefer the HB over the TS but i was never considering the TS because of my use case/requirements.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

At launch Toyota targeted the hatchback towards couples, the Touring Sport towards families, and the saloon towards execs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I test drove the CHR initially, front seats and drive very good, back seats claustrophobic and boot tiny. Tried the Corolla HB next, same driving experience again, not so claustrophobic 2 up in the rear, more so 3 up in the back but would not want to subject anyone to long hauls sitting in the back, boot marginally larger.  The TS is very comfortable front and back when 4 up, but anyone sitting in the middle against the armrest bolster section will have a pretty uncomfortable time (rear centre lack of comfort is pretty much a given on all cars/marques).  The boot is a decent size on the TS so no problem with the luggage etc.  The driving experience is pretty similar on all cars, which is to say, very good.  The TS surprised with how agile it is and how little body roll you get (low centre of gravity).  I usually drive 2 up with our 'puppy' on her seat in the rear, but our house rule is no luggage is allowed in the 'cabin' when travelling and the TS boot comfortably takes all the gubbins.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bewA said:

I'm on my second HB now and tbh as far as my use case is concerned it's fine for 2 adults (up front) and our two small dogs. With how the seats are positioned we wouldn't get anyone sat in the back (without dogs of course) so although it's probably a 4/5 seat car imo it's 2.

I love this car (which is why i bought a second one) but tbh i wouldn't recommend the HB for families there's simply not enough room and if you have the 2.0ltr or a spare tyre then you will have less boot space as well.

I prefer the HB over the TS but i was never considering the TS because of my use case/requirements.

I couldn’t agree more with that 👍 The slick design of Corolla hatchback makes it smaller inside in comparison with previous generations like Auris gen 1 or gen2., both of which has marginally more space on the rear seat particularly leg and head room. TS or saloon if you regularly carry passengers on the back seats will be the better choice. 👍

C05AF5B6-9F89-402E-A534-279494CA516A.jpeg

4A5B4CB8-C0BA-4FDB-A70E-A5A2F0569A0B.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah the TNGA cars seem to have much more compromised interior space than the previous gens cars - Going from the Mk2 to the Mk4 was a bit of a shock in terms of interior space! I figured it'd be similar since the Mk4 is longer and wider than the Mk2, but everything is more cramped - Despite losing the handbrake the front seat space is narrower due to a wider centre shifter tunnel, and there is much much less rear leg room, mostly because you can't slide the rear seats back any more...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cyker said:

Yeah the TNGA cars seem to have much more compromised interior space than the previous gens cars - Going from the Mk2 to the Mk4 was a bit of a shock in terms of interior space! I figured it'd be similar since the Mk4 is longer and wider than the Mk2, but everything is more cramped - Despite losing the handbrake the front seat space is narrower due to a wider centre shifter tunnel, and there is much much less rear leg room, mostly because you can't slide the rear seats back any more...

I agree - I think it’s partly ‘design language’ and partly attempts to get centre of gravity down to improve handling. Bit of a shame as it’s not as spacious - although it’s more ‘cosseting’ as a result. My wife’s 2015 Yaris is much taller inside than my Corolla 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Partly, it is also to do with the crash tests and safty. If you look old cars, they had very thin doors and loads of room inside, considering the external size. But new cars have to protect occupants, so the doors are thicker and seats are further away from the doors, so interior feels a bit more cramped. Some of this is compensated by the exterior dimensions, but some of it is not. B segment cars are as big as C segment was 20 years ago, but the interior did't grow as much.

• Thanks 1

Touring Sport all day long. We have 2 Corolla's in the family one HB and one TS. If parking is not a problem the TS is much more efficient car.

The fuel consumption is exactly the same. The HB is a bit more nimble in tight turns but the TS is more stable in high speeds.

Also the TS has a couple more things in equipment . (rear vents - 12v in boot etc)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Had the hatchback until the grandchild arrived. Not enough room for a modern childseat, so swapped for the TS. Best decision ever! More room, space saver spare, handy boot stowage to name but a few bonuses. I reckon the handling and ride are better too, possibly because if the longer wheelbase.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, RabButler said:

I reckon the handling and ride are better too, possibly because if the longer wheelbase.

The hatch will have a more eager turn in on corners but won't be as stable under hard cornering due to the shorter wheel base.

The TS longer wheelbase will be more stable during hard cornering.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/14/2021 at 11:02 AM, ablackash said:

sometimes motorway and will be ok with 1.8 and have 3 people with me,......

don’t know if hatch will be enough and comfortable driving with 4 people or ts will suit me better? And for the boot am not concerned that much as don’t need very big boot but of course sometimes may come in handy.

I have gone from the capacious boot of an E Class to  a Toyota HB.  I am delighted with the HB and it would meet your needs of occasional motorway and 3 people and not luggage requirements.  Yesterday we just did 350 miles mostly motorway at a true 70 most of the way. Only on the third segment did the consumption rise to below 50.

But

We were 3 up, the larger half of the back seat was folded. We had a dog carry kennel, small overnight bags for a weeks visits away from home, and really missed the larger boot.  For a winter trip there would have been no room for winter there would have been no room for winter coats, boots etc. 

Our next Corolla will be a TS. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links