Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Am I going to like my new Toyota?

RosieApple

Hi there folks,

I am waiting for a definite delivery date for my new Toyota Corolla 2.0 TS Exel. I went into my local dealership at the end of July and had a test drive with my husband in the most appalling weather conditions imaginable. Torrential rain, flash flooding etc.  We enjoyed the little time we had allocated for the test drive and both liked the comfort, ride, handling and looks of the demo (2.0 GR TS).  We ended up signing up for a new Exel 2.0TS the following day with the factory options of the pan roof, JBL sound system and a towbar for our 2 electric bikes.  We were initially given a delivery date of end of September/beginning October but this has recently been changed to sometime mid-November although nothing concrete. 

This has given us time to reflect on this purchase and whether we really want to go ahead with it.  We are coming from a Subaru Levorg 1.6T 4WD.  A lovely car which, although has not proved popular with journalists and motoring press, has exceeded our expectations.  In the six years we have owned it there has never been anything to do other than service and fuel.  The Levorg is virtually the same dimensions as the TS hence why we decided on that model.  I am getting more reluctant to give up my Subaru as time goes on and considering cancelling the order. 

My questions are:  Are we going to enjoy the Corolla as much as the Levorg? (Subjective) Is the fit and finish of the Corolla as good as the Levorg?  Is the Hybrid system going to cause problems when it is not being used a great deal, particularly in winter?  The Levorg starts every time regardless of how long it has been standing unused.

From reading the forums my husband is picking up that the Toyota is a car that needs to be used regularly over moderate journeys in order to keep the Hybrid system healthy so, for our particular needs of a little used vehicle in winter, is a Toyota Hybrid a good choice?

Regards Rosie

Absolutely not, you should take delivery and give it straight to me 🤣

Seriously, there is no reason why you won't be delighted, just give yourself time to get used to a hybrid and you will wonder why you didn't change sooner. 

Enjoy the wait and anticipation of a nice shiny new car and report back when you get it. No pictures and it never happened 🙂

• Like 1

Really this is a question only you can answer.

Surely the best thing to do is to have another test drive, have a look at the finish, etc and decide then.

Have you put any deposit on the car - if you cancel will you lose some of this?

As regards the hybrid system, this doesn't cause any issues. However, the 12v Battery can cause issues if the car isn't either used regularly or the car is put into ready mode every so often to maintain the 12v Battery charge.

• Like 1

Hi Rose and welcome. 
The car you have it’s close to Corolla TS indeed. Toyota and all other Japanese manufacturers has very similar fit and finishes to their cars for both interior and exterior, if you liked the Subaru then you will like the Corolla as much or even more. What Corolla has as advantage over the Subaru is their unique hybrid drivetrain, it’s simplest In the business, easiest to drive, most efficient and most reliable, what does not have otoh is a ground clearance as much as the Subaru and the awd system, although does have a good traction control and with good tyres can take you pretty much most places where the suby will do. There is another model of Corolla TS called Trek, it’s slightly raised up and gives exactly that tiny bit more ground clearance for driving adventures, kind of suv experience. Your particular model is top of the range and it’s absolutely wonderful car. For the lack of use the only issue may arise is with 12v Battery as mentioned, but there are plenty of options that can help prevent any future problems, ctek chargers, solar panels, keeping in ready mode etc. The question whether to proceed or cancel your order really depend on you only and your personal circumstances. 
Good luck 👍

• Like 1

I’ve had my 2.0 TS almost a year, and am really pleased with the car overall. It’s highly unlikely you will have any problems of the hybrid system as it’s incredibly reliable - Toyota know how to build these better than anyone. 

the 12v Battery in the boot is small, and if you only do occasional or short journeys it could go flat - I have a CTEK charger which is use occasionally just to keep it topped up, not sure if it really needed it - but better to be safe. 

The Corolla TS is an excellent car, and with the 2.0 it’s a great drive on any road. You will be surprised with the fuel economy too in the summer - 62+mpg is often attainable. 

• Thanks 1

So (when the world returns the normal!) I was to go away on holiday for a couple of weeks, what would be the odds that the 12v Battery would be flat on the Corolla TS (assuming it had been charged via normal use beforehand)?

8 minutes ago, maurice28 said:

So (when the world returns the normal!) I was to go away on holiday for a couple of weeks, what would be the odds that the 12v battery would be flat on the Corolla TS (assuming it had been charged via normal use beforehand)?

Depends very much on the type of use it has had before you travel. Bit like the question 'how long is a piece of string?'

Also see: 

That's a very useful thread, thanks @FROSTYBALLS. It's making me consider whether a hybrid is right for me - I've just secured a new job and will be working from home full time, so there may be a couple of days where I don't use a car and my mileage will be perhaps 6,000 a year - mostly trips at the weekend a bit further afield, camping weekends, a week's touring holiday in the UK etc.

Putting it in ready mode once a week is obviously an option if that usage would prove insufficient for charging - I'd rather not be worrying about using actual Battery chargers etc if possible.

2 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Depends very much on the type of use it has had before you travel. Bit like the question 'how long is a piece of string?'

I think that's half the string's length doubled😉

The key to the Battery issue is simply to learn how to manage the Battery.  Treat it properly and there should be no issue. Maurice's trips further afield are exactly what it needs. 

Going away for two weeks implies driving some where like an airport.  The process of driving there should do the trick. 

Here is my advice.

Ignore all the threads about hybrid management, and 12v management, and how do I do this and how do I do that, and what mode should I use and will it die if I only drive 4.765 miles a day, and simply drive the damn thing.

😁👍

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Yugguy1970 said:

Here is my advice.

Ignore all the threads about hybrid management, and 12v management, and how do I do this and how do I do that, and what mode should I use and will it die if I only drive 4.765 miles a day, and simply drive the damn thing.

😁👍

Sage advice Guy!  If it ain't broke stop trying to fix it.  If you use your car regularly you should expect it to work first time every time.  My neighbour has just come back from Spain after 18 months away (pandemic prisoner he says!) and wonders why the Battery was dead, all four tyres flat spotted, brake disks rusty and seized, and a healthy growth of weeds under the car, not to mention anything else that may have perished under the bodywork (plus a DVSA fine as the 1st MOT was missed and the car was not SORN declared).  An extreme example of what can happen to your car when left for long periods but you just need to apply some common sense if you are not going to use it for any appreciable length of time.

11 hours ago, maurice28 said:

That's a very useful thread, thanks @FROSTYBALLS. It's making me consider whether a hybrid is right for me - I've just secured a new job and will be working from home full time, so there may be a couple of days where I don't use a car and my mileage will be perhaps 6,000 a year - mostly trips at the weekend a bit further afield, camping weekends, a week's touring holiday in the UK etc.

Putting it in ready mode once a week is obviously an option if that usage would prove insufficient for charging - I'd rather not be worrying about using actual battery chargers etc if possible.

I think you'll be fine. I've done one long journey this week, and have left it for 4 days. I'm going to use it tomorrow and i'm sure it will be fine. They don't tend to like short journies of 10 mins or less, but longer than that and they're usually ok. Unless you leave it for a week and then do a short journey. If you're journey is an hour or more then you can leave it for many days without use.

I have an Icon Tech 1.8 hybrid, bought in September 2020 and I have done 5000 miles in my first year. I have never had Battery problems even when the car has not been used for over two weeks. I've been driving since 1996 and owned maybe 15 different cars in that time: Vauxhalls, VW, Lexuses, Audis, Suzuki, Mitsubishis, Mazda and most recently a Jaguar F-Type. The Corolla is my favourite, no question, it's comfortable and competent in every way and I love the hybrid system. If you're having second thoughts and you like your existing car then why not cancel the order? But if you're worried the Corolla TS won't be as faithful a friend as your Subaru then I assure you it will.

• Like 2

REGULAR short journeys, mixed driving is fine. My mother in law is 96, she drives the the shops or her daughter, no more than 2 miles with a longer journey of 4 miles once or twice a month. 

A self charging hybrid is totally unsuitable for the type of driving. Similarly a diesel with DPF is also unsuitable. PHEV or EV would work but in terms of convenience petrol is best. 

You just need to match the car to your needs. In my case, typical use might be 8x1 miles, 4x8 and 2x10, longer trips of 150 miles might be manageable for EV but self charging hybrid wins on convenience. 

On 10/15/2021 at 11:43 AM, maurice28 said:

Putting it in ready mode once a week is obviously an option if that usage would prove insufficient for charging - I'd rather not be worrying about using actual battery chargers etc if possible.

My usage is very similar - 5000 miles so far this year, car is mostly used at the weekend with maybe a couple of short (3 miles into town) trips during the week. Not had any problems with the Battery. Went through a phase of disabling the keyless entry but now don’t bother.

EDIT: my car is actually an Auris but I can’t see the Corolla being any different.

• Like 2

My hybrid was used exclusively on short trips (school runs) every day for a period of 3 years with annual mileage of around 2-4k, no problems with either of the batteries, currently in heavy use 1k a week still no issues., expecting to see 12v Battery dead if I leave the car for a week or longer without any use in the winter but that will be acceptable for 11 year old car. 👍

• Like 1

When my wife drives her 2021 Yaris again it will have sat at least 2 weeks on the drive, possibly 3.

I'll report back on if we get any issues.

• Like 1

2.0 TS left on the drive untouched for four weeks several times during lock down with only 2 to 3 miles drives occasionally between and never a problem with the 12 v Battery

• Like 1

The Manual, for the Yaris, states that the car can be left a few months without driving, so I guess I and many others are worrying unduly.

Waiting too long for one's car to be built can lead to paranoia, it seems 😉;

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Stopeter44 said:

The Manual, for the Yaris, states that the car can be left a few months without driving, so I guess I and many others are worrying unduly.

Waiting too long for one's car to be built can lead to paranoia, it seems 😉;

Just wait another month or so when temperatures goes down close to 0c°, new restrictions of movement introduced and the most common posts will be about 12v Battery, oops it was like that last year 😂👍

Hi there folks

Many thanks for your enouraging words about my worries over whether the Toyota is going to live up to my love of the Levorg.  We have been out for a few hours in the Levorg today and she drives like a charm.  We are also having a few days away in her shortly and hopefully by then we will have heard some good news regarding the delivery date for the Corolla.  I have come to the decision that if my dealer tells me it's not going to arrive until the end of November I will be cancelling the order and possibly losing the £250 deposit.  The Levorg is in need of a six year service and some new tyres shortly so I really need to be making my mind up once and for all.  I'll keep you posted on the situation.

Many thanks

Rosie

From an outside view it sounds like you really like your Levorg.

Do you really want to change it?

I do get it, I felt the same when trading in my 12 year old C class for a new Focus.

Yes it made sense but part of me wanted to keep the Merc.

Hi all

An update for you. Returning home from our break in Norfolk on Wednesday my husband's phone pinged and there was a message from the dealer to say the new Corolla was still showing for mid-November. That was the same message as previous. On returning home we checked the "My Toyota" site and it was actually showing "in build"! Today it is showing as having left the factory. So it would seem there is no going back now. OMG.  My husband assures me that I will love the new car and I am sure I will. My purse is going to like it too regarding the mpg. The Levorg achieved an average of 43mpg on our recent long journey. The car's lifetime average has been mid-30's so it will be nice to see an improvement from the new car judging on members comments on here.

So bye for now and I will keep you posted.

Cheers

Rosie

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RosieApple said:

Hi all

An update for you. Returning home from our break in Norfolk on Wednesday my husband's phone pinged and there was a message from the dealer to say the new Corolla was still showing for mid-November. That was the same message as previous. On returning home we checked the "My Toyota" site and it was actually showing "in build"! Today it is showing as having left the factory. So it would seem there is no going back now. OMG.  My husband assures me that I will love the new car and I am sure I will. My purse is going to like it too regarding the mpg. The Levorg achieved an average of 43mpg on our recent long journey. The car's lifetime average has been mid-30's so it will be nice to see an improvement from the new car judging on members comments on here.

So bye for now and I will keep you posted.

Cheers

Rosie

You'll love it - now you do realise that it is mandatory to check MyT / MyToyota at least every 30 seconds? 😂

• Haha 2