Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2021v2 Map Update now available

Beta

Just uploaded to car, as Rambler56 says took 2-3 minutes to ask for validation code and took 1hr 11 minutes in total to upload. When moveing from laptop to USB stick, I did a quick format of my 16Gb stick and it said the stick was not big enough, so I did a full format of the stick and dragged the FMU folder and all went okay it took about 1hr 30 minutes to unzip to USB.

Maxi9, Are you formating the USB stick as FAT32 before extracting the files on to it? Also note you will have to use a 3rd party app to format as FAT32 if it's 64GB or larger (e.g. FAT32tool).

Yes Corolla2004, formatted 16Gb stick FAT32, have moved files to FMU folder on stick, will try later today when the rain stops.

Many thanks for your advice Corolla2004. All up to date now. Age is a terrible thing, forgot how to do it, have written it down for next time.

🙂

Thanks also to Rambler56, your advice was spot on.

🙂

On 10/14/2021 at 9:11 PM, AndrueC said:

And, unbelievable though it seems, they've actually made it more annoying. I had to click two checkboxes on their ridiculous T&C not helped by having to scroll both the web page (the pointless image of the woman occupies more than my entire laptop screen!) and the T&C separately. They make good cars but they don't have a clue about how to design and operate an eStore.

But on the plus side, as usual, I get an invoice for naff-all + no VAT emailed to me for something that was free. Well done, Toyota.

It's things like this, as well as faffing around with the download, which convinced me not to waste time on Toyota's software and instead use Android Auto, and one of a growing number of navigation apps, that also lets me stream music, send and receive WhatsApps, texts, etc. Interaction is with a competent AI and typically works very well.

Toyota does make terrific cars. But they're not yet in the premier league of auto software design, build and implementation. They do have big plans, though https://jalopnik.com/lexus-and-toyota-want-you-to-know-that-you-dont-need-ap-1847084552

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Luke717 said:

It's things like this, as well as faffing around with the download, which convinced me not to waste time on Toyota's software and instead use Android Auto, and one of a growing number of navigation apps, that also lets me stream music, send and receive WhatsApps, texts, etc. Interaction is with a competent AI and typically works very well.

Toyota does make terrific cars. But they're not yet in the premier league of auto software design, build and implementation. They do have big plans, though https://jalopnik.com/lexus-and-toyota-want-you-to-know-that-you-dont-need-ap-1847084552

Could not agree more. Just paid for Apple car play and apps like Google maps show how well voice recognition can work in this car.. The Toyota developers for the standard fit system in the Corolla should hang their heads in shame for the abysmal system they came up with. The thing is incapable of performing the simplest instruction without coming out with a condescending ‘pardon’  statement

21 hours ago, Maxi9 said:

Many thanks for your advice Corolla2004. All up to date now. Age is a terrible thing, forgot how to do it, have written it down for next time.

🙂

But will you remember where you wrote it down!🙄

A bit of a waste of time for me it seems. Several years ago a stretch of the A422 outside Brackley had its speed limit changed from 50 to 60. I updated the map on Here a couple of years ago and the update still hasn't been incorporated. I've just checked and someone has put it back to 50!

<grumpy old man mode>

https://forum.mapcreator.here.com/forums/topic/who-has-changed-this-speed-limit-back-again/

</grump old man mode>

https://www.here.com/sites/g/files/odxslz256/files/2020-07/press-release-190516-here-extends-partnership-with-toyota-motor-europe-to-offer-drivers-the-latest-map-data-and-free-map-updates.pdf

Latest updates? I think not. I've been trying for two, maybe three years to get that speed limit corrected.

Thanks to the many posts,I've decide not to bother,its rubbish anyway. Anyone looked for a plug in replacement.?

Loaded in update 2021 v2 via usb today. All good. No problem at all.

I updated to v2 a few days ago and ever since the map shows my previous few journeys in thick purple lines, which are a distraction and make it difficult to see the actual roads on the maps. I don't recall seeing this 'feature' before the update and I can't seem to find a way of deleting these journeys. Any suggestions? 

There's an option somewhere called something like 'show last route' or 'show saved routed'. Disable it and the purple dashed roads will go away.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, AndrueC said:

There's an option somewhere called something like 'show last route' or 'show saved routed'. Disable it and the purple dashed roads will go away.

Thanks Andrue - I think I've just found the solution in an old Rav4 post:

"Navigation Manual Page 96 3-5 Setup 

Save recent route”

Select to display a trail of breadcrumbs on the map.It is one of the toggle options on the Setup Menu / Navigiation. Toggle Save Recent Route to Off" 

• Like 1

Tried the 'Rav4' solution above and it's sorted 👍🏼. I wonder if some of the settings were changed (or maybe reset to default) by the update? 

51 minutes ago, delbois said:

Tried the 'Rav4' solution above and it's sorted 👍🏼. I wonder if some of the settings were changed (or maybe reset to default) by the update? 

I know that the USB music facility was. I'd got as far 'C' and now it's back to 'A'. Poor software.

• Thanks 1

Well used the new update from East Midlands to Bodmin. West and North of the A30 is a big green hole.  None of the lanes connecting isolated farms and cottages, even hamlets, are on the map. 

Rang the brother in law, "where are you?" 

By a field of maize, broken 5 bar gate to the left. 

"take next right, I can see you" 

Hard to find any warm and highly positive comments in this thread about Toyota's navigation software. As I mentioned before, I don't bother with it at all. I use Android Auto usually with Google Maps navigation although I'm also trying out TomTom GO which is quite good.

I really do recommend switching to Android Auto. Also recognising the reality that you'll need a data plan on your recent-model smartphone that will give you the ability to remain connected all the time. Google does offer offline maps, but typically it's the live traffic data that's most valuable, for which you need an Internet connection.

Check the discussions about Android Auto in this forum to get a sense of what others have said:

https://www.toyotaownersclub.com/search/?&q=Android Auto&type=forums_topic&quick=1&nodes=50&search_and_or=and&sortby=relevancy 

You'll note I haven't mentioned Apple CarPlay yet. I don't have any Apple devices is the reason. But if you do, it is definitely worth considering. Here's what others have said about it:

https://www.toyotaownersclub.com/search/?&q=Apple CarPlay&type=forums_topic&quick=1&nodes=50&search_and_or=and&sortby=relevancy

Like, while that might get better mapping it does, as you say, demand a good data plan. Like all the decisions, EV, Hybrid, ICE, boot size, engine size etc, data plan is just one of the variables where what your requirements are is critical. 

I make a long journey on an unfamiliar route only a couple of times a year.  I don't need more than 750 Mb of data. 

If making daily variable routes over distance then it starts to make sense. 

48 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

Like, while that might get better mapping it does, as you say, demand a good data plan. Like all the decisions, EV, Hybrid, ICE, boot size, engine size etc, data plan is just one of the variables where what your requirements are is critical. 

I make a long journey on an unfamiliar route only a couple of times a year.  I don't need more than 750 Mb of data. 

If making daily variable routes over distance then it starts to make sense. 

Yep!

There are also all the other benefits of being connected in the car - stream music, listen to podcasts, send/receive WhatsApp messages, check the weather... all with voice commands so no typing or tapping required.

If anyone is thinking of a 2022 Corolla, there are some interesting upgrades to in-car tech for that model year, via @Devon Aygo:

Additional info: https://mag.toyota.co.uk/what-is-toyota-smart-connect/. Note that included in the data package is the cost of the data connection via the car's in-built SIM for four years.

Does apps running via Android auto display the turns on the dash board? Can I use it without connecting my phone to the USB socket?

There's nothing particularly wrong with the Toyota sat nav. The maps aren't perfect but they are pretty good and you can edit them yourself (although as I found out someone might just revert your edits).

Unfortunately I am pretty sure Google Maps doesn't update the turn by turn in the main dash and the current hardware does not support wireless Android Auto - only wired via the USB.

Trash an, correct and there are a number of others things in the FAQ that do not happen with AA, I think pinch and zoom might be another. 

1 hour ago, AndrueC said:

Does apps running via Android auto display the turns on the dash board? Can I use it without connecting my phone to the USB socket?

There's nothing particularly wrong with the Toyota sat nav. The maps aren't perfect but they are pretty good and you can edit them yourself (although as I found out someone might just revert your edits).

Here's what Google says about turn-by-turn navigation with Google Maps: https://support.google.com/androidauto/answer/6348322?hl=en-GB&ref_topic=6106969

It doesn't seem very explicit as in "yes it does" - I don't see that positive statement 🙂

Re connecting your phone without a USB cable, although the Android Auto app settings include a setting to enable wireless connectivity between your phone and the car, that only works in certain markets and with cars that specifically support that. To connect without a cable, you can do that only via third-party products. I'm using one, a dongle that does that quite well. It's a startup that I have backed financially. I can't put links here because of forum rules but if you search online for 'AA Wireless' you should find it easily enough.

• Like 1

I'm guessing it doesn't update the active speed limit either although based on my own experience it might be advantageous to be able to stop the car doing that.