Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2021v2 Map Update now available

Beta

31 minutes ago, AndrueC said:

I'm guessing it doesn't update the active speed limit either although based on my own experience it might be advantageous to be able to stop the car doing that.

If you mean changing what speed limit shows on the head unit to reflect what the limit actually is as you drive, yes, Google Maps does do that with good accuracy as does TomTom Go - in my experience, both far better than Toyota's nav map. 

52 minutes ago, Luke717 said:

If you mean changing what speed limit shows on the head unit to reflect what the limit actually is as you drive, yes, Google Maps does do that with good accuracy as does TomTom Go - in my experience, both far better than Toyota's nav map. 

I meant the limit displayed on the dashboard. I have little interest in what is being displayed on the infotainment screen when I'm driving.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AndrueC said:

I meant the limit displayed on the dashboard. I have little interest in what is being displayed on the infotainment screen when I'm driving.

Oh, you mean in the display right in front of the steering wheel? Yeah, that's the dashboard 😉

No, nothing from Google Maps displays there.

All new to Toyota ownership so forgive me if I'm reading this wrong. Iourchased a 2021 Corolla GR Sport last Saturday. It occurred to me that I should check it has the latest maps. It has 2020V1. I see from this website that 2021V1  is available but unless I'm missing something, going in to the e-store I see Toyota appear to want £119 for an update... really???!!! I have just traded in my Honda Civic 2018 which I bought new and have had free updates at least once a year.

For £119 I can go out and buy a TomTom with free life updates, go to the pub, have a good night out and still have change in my pocket or is that just the Scotsman in me?

Hmmm - finally managed to navigate the maze which is Toyotas website pages and thanks to some previous posts worked out how to get the maps free.... rant over, sorry. 🙂

you WILL get used to it, the first time is usually the worst, what with registering the head unit etc etc.

• 1 month later...

I finally got around to updating the Toyota navigation software with the latest 2021 v2 update. I'd downloaded the 12-gig zip file last month, unzipped it to a USB drive, got the activation code and so ready to go. It took about 70 minutes as I expected.

As I don't use the Toyota nav system, preferring Google Maps on Android Auto, I'd forgotten how painful using this can be. I couldn't remember any of the voice commands to set a journey. Trying to set one up via touch and typing really did bring home to me how awkward Toyota's system is.

But I did use it on my drive this afternoon. First thing - on two stretches of the A4 between Marlborough and Newbury, the wrong speed limit was shown. The actual limit of 40mph has been that way for as long as I can remember. Then a good thing - a stretch of the A4 going east out of Newbury finally shows the correct speed limit in the Tayota nav, so they fixed that one.

And I do like the guidance shown in the dashboard for which exit to take at roundabouts and junctions.

But overall, it's nowhere near as good and easy to use as Google Maps on Android Auto where plain-English voice commands with rapid responses are the order of the day. Plus the maps are constantly being updated - none of the palaver and faffing about with downloading multi-gig zips and spending 70 minutes and more updating - and the live traffic info is second to none.

So I'll stick with my preferred nav system and think of Toyota's as the backup when Google's doesn't work. Which does happen. But it's a bit better than a paper atlas that can never be up to date.

For new Corollas that will have the brand new Toyota navigation system from MY2022 onwards, maybe that might offer a real challenge to Google and other third parties.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Luke717 said:

For new Corollas that will have the brand new Toyota navigation system from MY2022 onwards, maybe that might offer a real challenge to Google and other third parties.

It would very much surprise me. In recent years, I've spent a lot of money on having the all-singing, all-dancing optional system sold with premium German brands. Still couldn't compete with Google's offering - not even close.

Just updated my maps via wifi.

It took 25mins to download but nearly a hour to install.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links