Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Are Toyotas a particular target for converter theft?

FiestaRed

Read a number of posts on here about catalytic converters being stolen and now, in my local paper a report of an Aygo converter being stolen while the owner was inside a supermarket (Chesterfield). The car was parked for less than half an hour.

Being new to Toyota, I just wondered if they were a particular target?

Lol there must be 10's of threads on the subject, it wasn't an Aygo as the cat is part of the manifold local paper writers aren't the brightest, It seems our local rag is staffed by 12 year olds

Any car is a target, the scum have even taken mufflers/silencers what are worthless as scrap

• Like 1

The Auris and Prius have been popular targets, as well as Hondas (Jazz and Accord), Mercedes Sprinters, cars with high ground clearance (pick ups, SUVs), etc. Recent Toyotas have fewer precious metals in the cats, which are what the theives are going for.

Earlier this year, locally a VW Fox had its cat stolen whilst the owner was shopping - so theives will go after any car.

• Like 1

It takes about 2 minutes to cut one out.

Thats what I read, not that I got any experience, honest. 😎

• Like 1

Yeah it's pretty shocking - One story I remember in the local paper mentioned how one group literally just stopped their car in the middle of the road in slow moving traffic, with cars behind them, jumped out and cut the cat off of the target car, then continued on their way in the log jam of traffic! There's several videos on YouTube showing the thefts and they are literally in and out in a couple minutes, and really brazenly too!

I'm hoping it's just a few groups that were just hitting lots of places as it seems to have died down a bit since the police have finally managed to catch some of them!

It's the copycat ones that I'm worried about - There have been a small number reports of people having their resonators nicked as the thieves mistake them for cats!

• Like 1

Yes Toyota's do seem to be a target but you're not powerless, there are things you can do to reduce the risk, search the forums for 'Catloc' and see if there's one available for your model (if they're not already fitted) though these do cost around £250.

Other option is seeing if your local dealers can paint it with smart water, to mark it, making it less attractive to the thieves.

The advice also talks about taking care where you park your car and not parking on kerbs to allow easy access under the vehicle, though given the range of locations the thefts are reported to occur, where you park it doesn't seem to make much difference.

• Like 1

I understand the new hybrid Corollas have the cat converter higher up in the engine compartment, not an easy place to get to, so it puts them off.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies, really appreciated. Feel a bit more reassured now.