Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Lost keys

Tatters

New to the forum so I hope someone can help.

I bought a 2016 Yaris for my granddaughters 18th.  It only had one key.  Unfortunately the one and only key has been lost.  I have been quoted more than the car is worth to sort the problem does anyone have ideas of a solution.  I do not require the locking system just a key to open the car and start the engine would suffice.  Regards  Graham

More than the car is worth ?? any decent lock smith can cut a key to a vin/key code, you can code the  key to the immobilizer with techstream or a higher end scan tool, if you are tech savvy you can do it with a techstream clone (Mini-Vci)

What have you been told ? all the locks and the ecu need replacing ?? If so that is incorrect

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tatters said:

New to the forum so I hope someone can help.

I bought a 2016 Yaris for my granddaughters 18th.  It only had one key.  Unfortunately the one and only key has been lost.  I have been quoted more than the car is worth to sort the problem does anyone have ideas of a solution.  I do not require the locking system just a key to open the car and start the engine would suffice.  Regards  Graham

I think you'll find that your granddaughter's Yaris is worth a whole lot more than just replacing 2 keys, never mind one! If it is a 2016 Yaris Hybrid Excel, it may come as a shock when you check sites like motorway and webuyanycar and find out what it is really worth!

If the key's been lost and the car's locked, how do you find the VIN if the V5's inside the car? I suppose a smashed window could be looking quite cheap.

Try Timpsons they seem to have lots of keys though whether they need one to copy I don't know.  They may be able to send away for a copy. 

About VIN, can you see it through the windscreen? 

• Like 1

That’s the very reason I will never buy another car with only 1 key I done it once with a vw golf and managed to lock the key inside the hatch had to smash the rear quarter light and pull the rear seat down to get the key!

• Like 2

Have they changed how it works in the Mk3 and Mk4 then?

For the Mk1 and Mk2, we were always told there is no official way to code a new key without at least one master. The official dealer fix was a new ECU and locks, although we did a have a guy on here who claimed he could code a key but you had to send him the ECU (I assume he was able to program the flash chip directly to either inject a code or put it in Factory Blank mode where it will accept a code)

I know I never found a way to program a new key without a master for my Mk1 or Mk2, but with newer Toyotas you get a metal tag with a code which supposedly allows a dealer to code a new key without needing one of the old ones, so I guess they've added a backdoor what isn't present in the older ones...?

The metal tags with the key number on have been supplied with new Toyotas for years. Other manufacturers also supply either metal or plastic tags with the key numbers on.

I always note the key number in the service book in case the tag gets lost.

• Like 2

Frosty, I never noticed that.  Just checked my spare key in the safe. A simple 5 digit number. 

Bit like the old simple system.  One key, available in Halfords was FA501, this was the key to open the door of all Vulcan bombers. 

The car I bought the wife only came with 1 key but the garage supplied me with another and it comes cut from Toyota and just needs coding which they charge £40 for, on the other hand I have just changed my car and again it only came with 1 key, the garage is supposed to be supplying another key and it's on order, but I told them my local garage has key fobs for every car and cuts and codes them and could do it tomorrow, but they are making me wait.

How is it that almost every used car is missing a key?

As with socks, somewhere in the world there must be a huge void containing all the 'other ones'. 😳

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, MikeSh said:

How is it that almost every used car is missing a key?

As with socks, somewhere in the world there must be a huge void containing all the 'other ones'. 😳

it's in a bucket at a breakers yard

most yard have a few big buckets of keys and fobs

@Cyker mk 3 and mk4 don't use the master and slave keys it's all done electronically, you can wipe all keys and code new ones - Keyless systems are a bit more complex tho

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links