Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Map Update?

PAISLEY1903

Noticed a new MAP update this afternoon.  

Downloaded and installed - noticed it says under current version in map update info tab

Map DB version 2021 v1

2021 v2 region GB,IE

not sure why it shows 2 but its downloaded a new version.

OK, so you've download 2021 v2 "over the air" (OTA) which updates the maps for your local region (GB,IE) but NOT the rest of Western Europe. If you want to update the Western Europe maps you'll need to download to USB and install that way. If you do, it will show just Map DB version 2021 v2.

🙂

• Thanks 1

dont seem to be able to download maps over pc in N.I.

3 hours ago, philip42h said:

OK, so you've download 2021 v2 "over the air" (OTA) which updates the maps for your local region (GB,IE) but NOT the rest of Western Europe. If you want to update the Western Europe maps you'll need to download to USB and install that way. If you do, it will show just Map DB version 2021 v2.

🙂

Ah good so if im just staying in UK it will show me v2 of it?

20 minutes ago, PAISLEY1903 said:

Ah good so if im just staying in UK it will show me v2 of it?

Absolutely ... 

• Thanks 1

I logged into my account, selected the map update and went through the process of checking out, all OK.  I got the download link and then before I downloaded clicked to read the download document and in the proces lost the download link.  For the life of me I can not find the link again.  The emailed invoice has no download link.  If I select the map update again it says I already have this version which I understand but no offer of a link.  What an I doing wrong????

I could go OTA but would rather use a USB.

7 minutes ago, ernieb said:

I logged into my account, selected the map update and went through the process of checking out, all OK.  I got the download link and then before I downloaded clicked to read the download document and in the proces lost the download link.  For the life of me I can not find the link again.  The emailed invoice has no download link.  If I select the map update again it says I already have this version which I understand but no offer of a link.  What an I doing wrong????

I could go OTA but would rather use a USB.

Quick update I went back though by browser history and located the page and have started the download, I'm still looking at how I access the purchase history?

If you go to My Toyota, sign in, go to Estore (or via Maps and Apps) and the Purchases tab (top left ish) then you should see a list of your 'purchases'. Clicking on a purchase shows a download link, download instructions and the activation key.

Oh, and updating OTA counts as a 'purchase', so you can subsequently access the purchase and download to USB as well to get and install the full map update.

Apart from the limited map data is what you get for driving in UK identical from either version? 

With Garmin I think there was some loss of functionality if you did not download the full mapping. 

Thanks Philip, I’ve used it before but for the life of me could not find that tab this morning.  It’s not in a place I’d obviously look for a download but that’s maybe just me?

When I downloaded the files the documentation said a USB 8Gb or above, the files are larger than 8Gb so at least 16Gb is needed.

44 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

Apart from the limited map data is what you get for driving in UK identical from either version? 

With Garmin I think there was some loss of functionality if you did not download the full mapping. 

Yes, I believe so. I originally updated to 2021 v1 OTA, and subsequently updated via USB to the same version (I'm currently in France) and haven't noticed any differences as far as UK motoring goes.

(I'll consider 2021 v2 when I get home again! 🙂 )

I’ve just completed the v2 update all looks OK.  For anyone whose not done it before the engine needs to be on and takes about 75 mins and can be interrupted. 

1 hour ago, ernieb said:

I’ve just completed the v2 update all looks OK.  For anyone whose not done it before the engine needs to be on and takes about 75 mins and can be interrupted. 

How many times did you stop and restart it, Ernie?

I ask because the instructions - which are quite wrong on other aspects - state clearly: "Please do not interrupt the system or updates will be lost"

I think I stoped it a couple of times at the beginning of the process and it picked it up OK probably before it hit very far into the process. However, once it got into  the 8 of 21 updates I decided not to switch off the car or open the door. I took the car for a drive then sat on the driveway for 30 mins or so. It’s a long process to screw up and I did not want to brick the Head Unit in the process.  I’d probably wait next time till I’d got a longer trip planned that didn’t need the Sat Nav. I’ve known people trash Sat Navs during updates but these also updated the OS and firmware.

I’d have hoped that if it was interrupted during say 9 of 21 then it would do no worse that start update 9 again, update 8 already having been processed. As far as I can see each update is a country.

• Like 1

I did my last map update with the car in Ready, sat on the drive.  It was connected to our wireless which might have helped speed it up, as it took about 45 mins. I just left the car and checked on progress every now and then.

1 minute ago, Yugguy1970 said:

I did my last map update with the car in Ready, sat on the drive.  It was connected to our wireless which might have helped speed it up, as it took about 45 mins. I just left the car and checked on progress every now and then.

Ok, that would have been an OTA update of just GB & IE. The instructions there say that you can interrupt the process and it will resume so you don't need to leave it sat in Ready mode all the while. As far as I can tell, this simply adds a new version of your local map on top of the existing full map set. With the OTA update it completes the download relatively quickly and then takes more time to complete the install.

A full update via USB doesn't need a wireless connection ('cos the data's on the USB stick), updates maps for all of the Western Europe region and, as Ernie says, takes about 75 minutes. But in this case it wipes out the existing map data set and replaces it with the new one. I just don't know whether the system has sufficient space to add the new one before deleting the old one, or has the delete the existing map first so as to make space for the new one - so if you interrupt it you may have no maps at all until you complete the update!

For my last full update I played safe, left the car on the drive in ready mode for sufficient time to complete the whole job ...

• Like 1

As far as I can can tell it updates one region at a time so probably eases the original and then moves on.  I think the first and last files are the loader and checksum. Once the USB is connected and the update process initiated it spends a few minutes doing some preparation work then requires the registration code. If you’ve not got the code it does offer two codes to input into a web site to obtain a new registration, I guess the old code and a token code from the download but I’d already printed the registration code when I’d downloaded the v2 files.  As Philip has indicated my v2 was for the whole of Western Europe not just the UK.

On 10/15/2021 at 8:37 PM, roger_37 said:

dont seem to be able to download maps over pc in N.I.

all sorted now downloaded to usb stick and updated to motor , not tried it yet but to-morrow .

For some reason which I don't understand, but wish I did after working in the IT industry for longer than I care to admit, I am unable to 'checkout' on the My Toyota page to download the update using Microsoft Edge - the website just says 'we have a problem, try again later. But then, using Firefox on the same PC it downloads fine. I have no idea why this is but from memory it has happened in the past.

No need for anyone to explain but this just might someone else struggling !

This is because Microsoft is rubbish and everyone should ditch it immediately in favour of fully functional but very low footprint desktop Linux.

👍😁

I'm baffled by this map update business. In available apps on My Toyota, it has the 2021 v2 maps but it is £119. In the car it says update available for download and the current version is 2020 v2. In purchases on My Toyota, it shows mapcare and 2021 v2 map update. I don't understand what the £119 is about.

25 minutes ago, nlee said:

I'm baffled by this map update business. In available apps on My Toyota, it has the 2021 v2 maps but it is £119. In the car it says update available for download and the current version is 2020 v2. In purchases on My Toyota, it shows mapcare and 2021 v2 map update. I don't understand what the £119 is about.

The £119 applies if you don't have MapCare or once MapCare expires. If you try to 'buy' the 2021 v2 update the price will be 'zero' ... 😉

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone please tell me what is "Map Care"

Will I need to pay for the map update on my November 2019 Excel ?

Can the dealer do the update at the next service ?

Thanks

Paul

MapCare is supplied with newer Toyotas and provides free map updates for a period of three years - so six updates if you take them all.

I'd expect a 2019 4.5 would benefit from MapCare but you can easily check by logging in to My Toyota > e-Store > Purchases and you should discover that it applies for the first 3 years of your car ownership ...

If you have a current MapCare subscription map updates will be free.

Map updates are not a standard service item - you can update the map yourself. Whether your dealer is prepared to do this for you, and how much they might charge for the additional service, will be at the discretion of your dealer.