Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Reverse camera signal - pin

LordBalance

hi again

just found some time to test - unfortunately it didnt work - no change

must be something so simple i am missing - as i know camera works - i can use an app when in reverse and its fine

5 hours ago, pooleorch said:

hi again

just found some time to test - unfortunately it didnt work - no change

must be something so simple i am missing - as i know camera works - i can use an app when in reverse and its fine

scrap that - now works!!!! thanks for helping me  used wrong side of brown wire!

only oddity left is that when you take it out of reverse - it leaves the application open and doesnt close it

Sorry, only just go the notifications for this

Is it plugged into the correct composite in

do you have pic of what's left on screen

Silly question does it change if the car is moving with the handbrake off etc

55 minutes ago, flash22 said:

Sorry, only just go the notifications for this

Is it plugged into the correct composite in

do you have pic of what's left on screen

Silly question does it change if the car is moving with the handbrake off etc

i havent actually driven it today - will in the morning

its plugged into the back of the head unit with the cable the head unit came with

rca to white plug in back of head unit with two fly leads that are chopped off 

for some reason its launching the FCAM app - i know where to change this but that is the only choice

i suspect i am missing the correct rear camera app

Have a look in the settings - other, and make sure the front camera is off - there maybe another option to show front camera after reverse

I do dislike these android units, no 2 are the same, setting are a craps shoot

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, flash22 said:

Have a look in the settings - other, and make sure the front camera is off - there maybe another option to show front camera after reverse

I do dislike these android units, no 2 are the same, setting are a craps shoot

yes but they offer a lot of customisations and benefits - anyway it was jsut me not looking at menus enough!

you were right - forward set for 10secs after - disabled and all good

so thanks for all your help you are a star 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 10/18/2022 at 10:53 PM, pooleorch said:

hi yes it does get around 13v when in reverse 

and weirdly if i plug the RCA lead into anything other than cable that goes into head unit it works if i use an app to view camera and if its in reverse!

so left green circle is back cable -  which as power when reverse is engaged

right circle is ground - but doesn't seem to make a difference if plugged in or not

this is RCA to RCA plug into head unit - in this pic - that doesnt work

hope that makes sense

newwww.jpg

Good Morning 

I am new member from Greece.

I have a toyota Avensis III the last facelift 

I am just installing an android unit and I have exactly the same harness (Brown cable on the head, a Pink (Back) from the CAN Bus but from the camera plug i dont have the red and black cables with the black box (from the plug I have only the RCA)

My question is if this black box is a voltage reducer (12v-6v) or not???

yes, the reverse camera is 6v

some of these units have 6v out have a look at the pin out or check it with a meter

20 minutes ago, flash22 said:

yes, the reverse camera is 6v

some of these units have 6v out have a look at the pin out or check it with a meter

Thank you very much for your reply!

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I'm encountering similar issues as those discussed here, and I've noticed that flash22 is very knowledgeable about this topic! Maybe you can enlighten me! 😀

I have the CHR hybrid model 02/2019 (Belgium). Like many others, I'm not satisfied with the original multimedia and navigation system. In an attempt to improve it, I purchased an Android unit from AliExpress specifically designed for the CHR, complete with CANbus. However, despite expecting it to be plug and play, that wasn't the case. Upon connecting the device, everything seems to work fine except for one crucial feature: the reverse rear camera. When I engage reverse gear, nothing happens. I would like to retain the original factory camera.

Here are some questions that I believe many would be interested in getting the right answers to:

1)      Just because the car remote at the steering wheel works well, does that necessarily mean that the CABbus is functioning? I guess not since it doesn’t detect the reverse mode…

2)      In order to trigger the reverse mode on the unit system, If I understood well, I have three options:

-         tap a cable from reverse bulb wiring (positive +) to the reverse pin 3 brown cable going to the unit. (need to pull a new cable all the way )

-         locate the elusive reverse wire behind the glove box that nobody seems to find and connect it to the reverse pin 3 brown cable going to the unit.

-         connect reverse pin 3 brown cable going to the unit to the pink wire (4th one)  going to the bus adapter (CANBUS) as well as the red cable from the camera supply? Is that correct? Then, in this case no need to pull any other cable from behind? Is the red cable from the camera supply the video + or the 6v positive?

3)      What is the voltage that the reverse pin 3 brown cable should receive in order to display the reverse mode on the unit?

4)      In all cases, I will need to use the converter 12v -> 6v to power the camera, isn’ it ?

5)      Can I get the 12v and ground to power the converter from the main power cable 1.GND and 9.B+ ?

6)      Which resolution should I set on my unit android to work with the original Toyota camera

Thank you so much for your help. 😊

1. Audio controls are 3 wire resistive based - not can bus

2. yes

Locate the elusive reverse wire behind the glove box that nobody seems to find and connect

on a LHD car the instrument panel junction box is on the driver's side (the junction box is also the B-ECU (bcm) and internal fusebox)

3. the reverse input is 12v on an aftermarket radio

4. the factory camera is 6V

5. power the camera from a 12V reverse signal - 6v - camera

6. the factory camera is NTSC composite, so is 480p (640x480)

Thank you so much, Flash22, for your precise answers. 😀

I apologize for my lack of knowledge, but I will attempt to locate the reverse signal in the junction box. Just to clarify, are we referring to the box in the picture?

Do you happen to know which pin corresponds to the reverse signal?

I noticed in a the discussion above you mentioned a schematic and referred to 3F - pin 16 or 3H - pin 10, but I'm unsure if this applies to my CHR?

Once again, thank you for your invaluable assistance.

jonctionbox1.jpg

jonctionboxrightside.jpg

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links