Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rav 4.3 xt5 climate control illumination

steve_lj

Indicator lights have just stopped working on centre control. 

All functions still seem to be operating just the illumination light to indicate which is selected.

Any idea if this is a single fuse or bulb issue ?? Just strange that ALL the bulbs would go at once ??

Thanks in advance for any guidance

dial.jpg

Not sure but it sounds like either a earth connection or the power connection to the circuit that has the bulbs on. I haven’t taken mine apart ( yet 😂) as it’s working ok but if it’s anything like the illumination of the controls on the 4.2, which I have had apart ( changed all the tiny filament bulbs for tiny 12v white LED’s ) then either the power or earth connections would have this effect.

is it just the illumination on the centre control panel or have any other buttons lost their on/off indicator lights ?

Norm

Thanks for taking time to reply.

Yeah - its just the 4 lights that illuminate on the central control that indicate where air flow will be directed.

All other functions work ok - just odd that its the 4 of them that went altogether - makes me think its something other than the bulbs.

Yes I think you’re right, it’s extremely unlikely all 4 would go together. I would guess at a loose connection somewhere at the back of the controls, unfortunately I think you’re going to have to remove that panel to resolve the issue. ☹️
when I got my 2009 XTR back in May it was only a couple of weeks before I had part of the dash apart to fit a newer multimedia unit !🙂. I didn’t have a manual to take it apart but I did buy some cheapish car panel removal tools from Amazon which helped a lot.

I’m guessing that the two side panels will have to be removed and from memory you just pop one of the thin plastic tool blades in the gap between the panels and they should pop off fairly easily. If there are any screws or bolts they’ll probably be 10mm bolts heads, hex heads and Phillips type screws.

I did have a quick look on YouTube to see if there are any guides to removing that panel but most were American videos and the controls were slightly different.

Not sure if any of this is any help but hopefully someone with more knowledge will come along soon.

ATB Norm

It will be all LEDs and from the pictures I can see its 1 piece inc the lcd you may find if you take it apart the controls are different modules inside

Pic for reference

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283665665822?epid=648650322&hash=item420bca8f1e:g:BbYAAOSwrL9dwbtp

It should be, pop up the trim off with a trim tool, 2-4 bolts to remove the radio, 2 more bolts that hold the top on the Hvac controls then it's clipped at the bottom - disconnect wiring as require

Note this video shows the non climate type HVAC controls

@flash22 - thanks for the heads up.

Just had a look at the eBay link and there are quite a few of the heater control panels around the £25/30 mark.

If im going to take it out it makes sense to replace it ( hope I dont get a duff replacement !! )

Thanks again - will report back when sorted.

check the part number on the back of yours, compared to the one you're looking at, as there are a few variations

Whilst agreeing with what others have said, before you rush into buying another unit I would still have a look at all the connections when you take it out. If they all just stopped working suddenly, unless it’s a electronic component controlling those four lights, I would still think it’s possibly a loose connection. It might even be something as simple as a connector that’s come out slightly.

I have a not too dissimilar issue on the illumination of the automatic gearbox lever symbols on the centre console. When I put the sidelights on it doesn’t light the P,N,R,D symbol on the gear-lever panel ( not the one on the dash ), if I tap it lightly it comes on and stays on till the next time I put the lights on.

It’s almost certainly a loose connection, just need to prise off the cover and check.

Norm

39 minutes ago, flash22 said:

check the part number on the back of yours, compared to the one you're looking at, as there are a few variations

Thanks !

Didnt realise that  ( fools rush in !!!!! ) - have ordered the part now - £22.50 delivered but they do accept returns.

@Mr.Fixit-Norm

I get what your saying but for what the part cost I just thought it better to have the bits with me when I start to dismantle so that its a straight swap.

If per chance I do find a loose connection then the seller will accept returns, so all not lost.

Thanks for your input - appreciated

That’s good, hopefully a win-win situation 👍