Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help with dash cam

Ameer O

Hi all

Please do you recommend any brand of a good quality Dashcam you have tried? 

Is it easy to install by myself or it should be installed by an experienced person.

I really appreciate any help you can provide. 

I hardwired a Nextbase 422 easily enough using a slimline piggy back fuse in the fuse box in the passenger footwell behind the glove box following instructions on this forum some time ago. It’s not a difficult job but finding a suitable earth point was a bit of a faff (needed to loosen a bolt and slide the spade connector behind) and even with the slimline fuse holder from Garmin, the fuse box cover does not fit back well afterwards. It has worked perfectly since fitted

I have a Nextbase 380GW which works well was fitted by the dealer was placed just to the left of the plastic box that contains the sensors for the auto wipers and  other sensors not sure if it contains the auto high beam sensor. You can’t see it from the drivers side.

the Nextbase comes with a piggyback fuse holder which you plug into the fuse board it’s the 15 amp one I think also powers the 12v socket at the rear of the fuse board (the end nearest the engine) under the dash passenger side you have to unclip the cover under the dash as paul has said it is a bit of a faff to find the earth. On mine the dealer managed to drop the wire down the a pillar and connected to the fuse board the earth they used was on the a pillar difficult to see and connect but I’m sure you will find a suitable earth.

keep the fuse cover in the glovebox for future reference.

I have a Nextbase 322GW with added rear view camera attached. Hard wired by Toyota dealer. No problems after nearly 2 years now.

Hi had a blackvue Dashcam cam fitted at first and problems with the camera turning on due voltage issues with the car on start up.  So I remove it and fitted a Nextbase 422GW with a rear camera with no problems. 

Firstly  check out some of the decent Dashcam footage pages on FB, you will find info, guides real world experience., images etc.

I have Nextbase and viofio.

Nextbase are ok, and although my Battery has lasted over 3 yrs, this is exceptional .

The Battery 's are a real problem,  and I tend to class Nextbase as the Amstrad of Dashcam manufacturers.

Glitzy, nice packaging,  look techy, but poor quality overall, and shocking value for money. 

I have 2 Viofio 's, they look cheap,  but image quality,  reliability app support etc ,wipe the floor with Nextbase. 

Better low profile fitting than NB, and none of that useless suction cup garbage  (spot the dangling Nextbases in hot weather,  utterly hysterical)

Price increase wise there are better, much better, but that's a big cost increase. 

• Thanks 1

dashcamtalk.com is a good forum for Dashcam info - Lots of reviews, comparisons, even different firmware comparisons!

I also give a vote for the Viofo stuff - I've had an A119v2 (2K, very good day footage and decent night footage, nice wide view angle), an A129 Pro Duo (4K, excellent night and day footage, but returned it as it would freeze on startup if left in direct sunlight) and am currently running an A119v3 (2K, excellent night and day footage but view angle not as good as the A129 or A119v2)

Almost all of Viofos stuff use super-capacitors, which means they can't run without power from the car at all, but they don't have batteries which will kill the camera after a few years of hot-cold cycling. The image quality is really good - the newer cameras all use Sony Starvis or Exmor sensors which are some of the best low-light CCDs you can get.

Their support is also pretty good - The eBay seller wouldn't help me with the A129 problems I had but they were right on it, and eventually agreed to exchange the units after we exhausted all other attempts to get it to work.

I'm not such a big fan of Nextbase, as I've heard some nightmare stories of their support, and also of their cameras just stopping working after a few years because of the Battery, but one big plus they do have is a lot of insurance companies are in bed with them and offer insurance discounts if you have specific Nextbase cameras that are on their list (albeit usually older models).

Just having a Dashcam isn't enough to get any discount with a lot of insurance companies alas!

I need to point out that the support I had from Nextbase was excellent. My camera was initially installed in my Fort Focus but when moved to the Corolla it needed the slimline fuse holder/connector. Spoke to Nextbase and they sent one out immediately free of charge the same day. This was also during the early days of the lockdown.

Ah that's good, maybe they've taken some of the criticism on board then!

Hi.

Just to let you know that a number of our insurance schemes offer premium discounts for the fitment of a HD dash cam.

Regards,

Dan.

• Like 1

Thank you all guys for your valuable advice. I appreciate all comments. 

I have a Blueskysea B1W which i've hardwired off one of the fuses in the passenger side fuse box (under the glove box).

I chose it because i wanted something discrete with no screen.