Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Corolla size guide

FROSTYBALLS

Useful to see all that in one place. Dimensions are a critical part of any prospective purchase and I've found this to be useful:

Automobile Dimensions

There is a 'garage simulator at the bottom of the pages where you can try any vehicle for size in your own parking space. 

Edit... you can also compare new and older versions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

My garage is fine length-wise (ooh er missus) but width-wise there are two pillars that are critical. My previous Jazz allowed me to drive in and open the doors and left space for shelving at the end. But the Corolla's bonnet means that I had to get rid of the shelves otherwise the pillars prevented the door opening. A CHR fits in quite nicely.

3 hours ago, AndrueC said:

My garage is fine length-wise (ooh er missus) but width-wise there are two pillars that are critical. My previous Jazz allowed me to drive in and open the doors and left space for shelving at the end. But the Corolla's bonnet means that I had to get rid of the shelves otherwise the pillars prevented the door opening. A CHR fits in quite nicely.

A garage with a car inside .. that's unusual! 🤣

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, 50p said:

A garage with a car inside .. that's unusual! 🤣

Yup. And at this time of the year it's great. No need to scrape ice off in the morning 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, AndrueC said:

Yup. And at this time of the year it's great. No need to scrape ice off in the morning 😉

Where I live, it’s great all year. Because in the summer it means the car starts out cooler. On our street, about 30 houses, nearly everyone has a garage. They are all, except when converted to extensions, full of junk. Ours isn’t, there’s just enough room for the car!

Do you drive or reverse into garage?

Edited by Stopeter44
Added question
  • Like 2

^ Exactly. Fwiw I drive into mine, place a wedge under the rear wheel and take the handbrake off. From that point I can roll it out and also push it back in if needed. Brilliant. A mirror on a bench at the front lets me get to a couple of inches from the side wall and some obstructions. There is enough room to open the drivers door by about one third. A thick strip of padded vinyl stuck to the wall lets me open and rest the door on the wall without damage.

Modern cars have got to big imo. A Carina E (remember them, a big car in its day) would fit OK but a new Corolla will not. A new Yaris is almost as large as my 2010 Auris. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mooly said:

^ Exactly. Fwiw I drive into mine, place a wedge under the rear wheel and take the handbrake off. From that point I can roll it out and also push it back in if needed. Brilliant. A mirror on a bench at the front lets me get to a couple of inches from the side wall and some obstructions.

Can't use the wedge trick with mine because its an automatic, and when I have the Yaris, I am not too sure that would be possible.

1 hour ago, Mooly said:

Modern cars have got to big imo. A Carina E (remember them, a big car in its day) would fit OK but a new Corolla will not. A new Yaris is almost as large as my 2010 Auris. 

The Yaris is touch under 4 metres long, but it's pretty wide. How does that compare with the 2010 Auris ?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stopeter44 said:

How does that compare with the 2010 Auris ?

The Current Yaris is 1745mm wide. The 2007-2012 Auris is 1760mm wide.

1 minute ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The Current Yaris is 1745mm wide. The 2007-2012 Auris is 1760mm wide.

15mm in it, I doubt I could judge the difference just by looking!

Width is the problem with many. The old Carina E saloon was just 1695mm wide. It is a pity the Yaris 4 door saloon is not available in the UK (there was one in the previous model, and what a smart looking car).

Screenshot 2021-12-06 101258.jpg

Screenshot 2021-12-06 101344.jpg

One of my neighbours has a passenger version of a delivery van, it's a Renault, but I can remember the name. The garage is at the very least 40 sq. metres, and they had an oversized door put on it so they could get their delivery van/ people carrier in. 

The funny thing is, they have been in their house 3 years now, like us, and they still haven't managed to get the car into the "purpose built" garage. Many people on our road, have tiny garages, no chance of getting a car in. Others "purpose built" the garage as an extra room, or an office, or a workshop.

I came from living in a flat, with underground parking, so the cars I've had since 2008 have not "slept" outside. Having a locked garage certainly helps with UV & temperature related damage, and it's also reassuring from an antitheft point of view.

Out of 40+ cars on our street, only 2, that's me and my neighbour (and he's moving out, the previous occupants had two cars but never put them in the garage), are kept in a garage. The other funny thing is, that we all have driveways, even if they are kind of symbolic, and they are useable, many still park on the street!

Edited by Stopeter44
previous = riot (auto spell got me again)
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stopeter44 said:

Out of 40+ cars on our street, only 2, that's me and my neighbour (and he's moving out, the riot occupants had two cars but never put them in the garage), are kept in a garage. The other funny thing is, that we all have driveways, even if they are kind of symbolic, and they are useable, many still park on the street!

Exactly the same here and I am pretty sure I am the only one that uses a garage on our road, in fact I can not think of anyone there that does. I'm also amused at those that do use driveways at night for example and yet first thing in a morning they stake their claim on their territory by putting the car on the road, even if they are not using it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

This is the problem I have and why anything much bigger will not fit. As I say, a Carina E and early Audi A4 all fitted easily:

G1.jpg

G2.jpg

G3.jpg

• Like 1

You look very organised. When was the house built 60's/70's ?

I thought 50’s to start with. It’s a touch older than me! 

I was told that car insurance costs more if you keep the vehicle in a garage, as opposed a driveway?! Reason being you are more likely to damage your vehicle driving in / out of a garage, maybe because they are too small now? Anyone experienced this .. must admit totally the opposite to what I would have expected 🤨

• Like 1

Just now, 50p said:

I was told that car insurance costs more if you keep the vehicle in a garage, as opposed a driveway?! Reason being you are more likely to damage your vehicle driving in / out of a garage, maybe because they are too small now?

A new one on me, but who knows ? I would have thought street parking more susceptible to theft and random damage.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Stopeter44 said:

Where I live, it’s great all year. Because in the summer it means the car starts out cooler. On our street, about 30 houses, nearly everyone has a garage. They are all, except when converted to extensions, full of junk. Ours isn’t, there’s just enough room for the car!

Do you drive or reverse into garage?

I drive in. Since I only have the one door there's nothing to be gained from reversing in and it would block access to the boot. And this is my problem pillar:

20211206_165235.thumb.jpg.8ea0777a6ae2cbdb02a20cf0079c8bd5.jpg

It's only the thickness of a brick but that's the difference between 'can squeeze in' and 'can't squeeze in'.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Cyker said:

Blimey that is tight!!

Yes and that's with me parked as far to the left as I can get (mirrors folded in). Pretty much at the limit now so my next car cannot be wider.

Yeaaa that could be tricky if your next car is an EV if the current trend continues!

My Mk4 is only a few cm wider and a foot longer than my previous and that's already made it harder to park, even with all the sonar and reverse camera aids! The ridiculously flared wheel arches still throw off my judgement when reverse parking too - Soooo glad I got the 15's as the 17's would have been kerbed to smeg by now and I'd probably be on my 4th set of rear tyres due to pinch-punctures on the 17's! :laugh: 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Cyker said:

My Mk4 is only a few cm wider and a foot longer than my previous and that's already made it harder to park, even with all the sonar and reverse camera aids! The ridiculously flared wheel arches still throw off my judgement when reverse parking….

The wheel arches are the widest part of the Yaris IV and until now it’s was the wing mirrors, I’ve been in some very tight spots where the wing mirrors just squeezed by. That “comfortable” rear end of the Yaris has me worried for one lane mountain roads!

• Like 1

Tight garage still better than no garage 👍 I used to park in a garage that was so small that I always needed to go through the opposite door out 😄

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links