Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Corolla size guide

FROSTYBALLS

I live in a new build development of 59 houses, around 45 occupied. All have double drives, Garages are 21feet x 12 feet. All garden tools on wall, 2 ladders, pair of steps. Corolla looks lost in there. I am the only person to use the garage for their car.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

If I remember correctly standard garage size used to be 18 ft X 9 ft , and that was based on an Austin seven I read somewhere.

With more recently built house garages into the 50s 60s and 70s retaining those dimensions,taking no account of increasing car sizes ,of course this will not apply to garages added after the original house build to the owners spec or larger garages where plot size and house size were larger, usually rural,to take a Bentley maybe 🙂

To those with brick or block pillars or piers restricting access it might be worth asking an architect or surveyor if it would be feasible to remove them and replace with a inset steel column flush with the wall.

Having said that, I would not recommend this as a DIY job,as the piers are usually structural and are designed to strengthen the side walls and often support to what is above them too.

Some of these though in the building boom of the 70s did not tie into the side or flank walls as they should have been with tie wires,or support anything above ,then they would be doing nothing useful.

But as I say please do not be tempted to remove without a proper survey by a professional.

• 4 months later...
On 3/2/2022 at 4:39 PM, Rhymes with Paris said:

If I remember correctly standard garage size used to be 18 ft X 9 ft , and that was based on an Austin seven I read somewhere.

With more recently built house garages into the 50s 60s and 70s retaining those dimensions....

My house was built in 1975 and the garage is indeed 18 ft x 8 ft 10 in. Fitting a roller shutter electric door widened the entrance slightly by removing the previous wooden door frame. The Corolla fits in fine but I do need to fold the mirrors to get between the pillars otherwise there would only be a few mm clearance!

• 5 months later...

Same deal here. I have to fold the door mirrors to get in my garage. There are two support pillars that interfere with the doors. My previous cars (Honda Jazz) had shorter bonnets so the doors were clear of the pillars,

You pay quite a lot for 20mm of length and 25 mm of height going from saloon to Touring sport 🙂

5 hours ago, Tomv said:

You pay quite a lot for 20mm of length and 25 mm of height going from saloon to Touring sport 🙂

Yes but the saloon isn’t practical, especially if you have dogs

Saloon version not available new in the UK any more as Toyota dropped it due to lack of sales interest.

10 hours ago, OTS84 said:

Yes but the saloon isn’t practical, especially if you have dogs

Saloons aren't practical. I used to buy them because I'm weird. I had 5 consecutively, A Rover and 4 Peugeots. They're fine if you don't cart a lot of crap about. We don't have kids, and didn't have canines at the time so it wasn't a massive issue. Other than when holidays came and I had to shoehorn the woman's luggage in.

• Haha 2

They are not practical, but they look the best! 🙂

But Toyota could make one little tweak to make them much more practical- the rear seats should be able to fold the way that you have flat surface from the trunk to the front seats. 

• Like 1

Insurance is cheaper if the car is off the road and in a garage or behind a gate, more secure.

One problem with a garage is if you put the in it when wet the water drops to the floor and you’ve got the perfect recipe for rust.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dylanfan said:

Insurance is cheaper if the car is off the road and in a garage or behind a gate, more secure.

I read that insurance can be more expensive if the car is kept in a garage due to damage done driving in and out! Definitely cheaper in a private driveway though.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/6/2021 at 5:49 PM, AndrueC said:

I drive in. Since I only have the one door there's nothing to be gained from reversing in and it would block access to the boot. And this is my problem pillar:

20211206_165235.thumb.jpg.8ea0777a6ae2cbdb02a20cf0079c8bd5.jpg

It's only the thickness of a brick but that's the difference between 'can squeeze in' and 'can't squeeze in'.

Salut for your skill.  My wife and I had much wider garage with both sides can be opened but the side mirrors have been beaten up from hitting the garage door pilars. 

• 5 months later...

Looking at the specs in the picture on the first post has anyone noticed that the MY23 corolla is 25mm higher that's an inch in old money? the wheel arch gaps appear the same, aerial maybe ?

I'm curious as to where the extra height has come from and also welcome it being of the older generation 🙂

• 3 weeks later...

This is a very handy post.👍

My garage is large. I used to get my Land Cruiser 100 series in it with plenty space all round. The Corolla therefore has got a lot of room. I also can retreat to the garage with coffee, beer, radio, book or whatever one would do in one’s garage.

On 6/24/2023 at 4:33 PM, Roy231 said:

Looking at the specs in the picture on the first post has anyone noticed that the MY23 corolla is 25mm higher that's an inch in old money? the wheel arch gaps appear the same, aerial maybe ?

I'm curious as to where the extra height has come from and also welcome it being of the older generation 🙂

I believe the suspension has been modified and the car clearance increased.  If you compare older models vs newer the gap in wheel arches is bigger and the car appears higher. 
image.thumb.jpeg.052704bffe96b7b1f516149c65bdd4c8.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.772d269070516a248a7fe2c49fa24a3a.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.ad5caf17ce2fa4bae70fa559e9d491a9.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.c47d5b5e708d3ce5f456ef6e37decc28.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Well that's another reason to trade up to the new model hope it's not just GR Sport as shown.

• 3 weeks later...

It is a good news if it increase the ground clearance a bit. The brace behind the catalytic converter in my Auris 2 got scrubbed regularly. Corolla TS has longer wheel base and lower ground clearance than Auris2. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links