Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Buying 2008 Estima hybrid.

Praveen kota

Hello guys,

Hope doing good. I am planning to buy 2008 Hybrid estima from my local Garage in Bedforshire. I have test driven one on the other day, fees things noticed and the selling couldn't answer the questions as he is not aware of them. I would greatly appreciate if some one can educate me on the same.

1. Head unit in Japanese, can we cange the settings to English?

2. When the car pulls out from stationary, can hear 'boom' sound in the cabin from rear under the vehicle. The guys tells me that, the rear wheel drive in the car is electrically engaged and will make some noise when starting to move, later on no noise is heard.

3. It is 2008 model and done 78000 miles so far, the seller has no information on hybrid Battery pack. Will the Battery pack be OK for some more time or required replacement any time soon in another year or so.

Many thanks in advance.

Praveen kota

The head unit cannot be changed to English. Most owners replace the head unit.

Hello Praveen.

1...No, it cannot be changed to English

2...I have Active Torque Control on my V6 (4WD)...I assume it's similar...I have NO "boom"

3..Who knows.?...seller doesn't seem to know very much at all does he.?...proceed with care.

As Neil says.

Depending on the price, proceed with caution but be prepared to pay for Battery replacement and noise elimination. If paying above £2000 I’d walk away - especially if mileage cannot be verified!

Hello Guys,

Many thanks for the feedback.

Unfortunately, the Car I was looking is gone. I found another 2008 petrol Hybrid with 104,000 miles on the clock, asking price £7000/-. Not sure, should I invest in it?? The guys mentions as full service history from Japan, but cant conform if the Hybrid Battery has been replaced.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

BRgds Praveen Kota.

Price seems a little high to me given the lack of info/mileage....so who knows.?

Is it a trader/importer...or a private sale...any warranty.?...I assume it's actually in the UK now..?

I'd want to go see it..inspect it..drive it, before making any offers/decisions.

Hi Neil,

Thanks for the quick response.

The latest I am looking at is 2008 with G-Pack.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202110258866795?advertising-location=at_cars&postcode=lu27lq&model=Estima&sort=year-desc&page=1&make=Toyota&year-to=2021&fuel-type=Petrol Hybrid&include-delivery-option=on

This guy is a private seller, he had it for few months since it was imported, 1st owner & driven abt 5000 miles. He says he about another 2012 estima 7 seater with upgraded headunit. I am thinking to go over to see and test drive tomorrow.

Looks ok...but yes, go and see it...drive it, and get as much info as you can.

If you feel it's a good purchase then make him an offer.

At least the current MOT (until April '22) has no advisories which is always a good start.

Battery-wise..No idea...I have never had a Hybrid Estima and have no desire/need to have one.

I love my 3 litre V6 far too much to give it up...lol

Maybe you need to do some searching on Google and maybe the Facebook Toyota Estima forum

Engine-wise.?..well, it's a Toyota, so no real longevity problems there as far I'm concerned.

Ditto what Neil said.

In addition, Toyota, if looked after, will go on for a good few miles and provide years of relatively trouble free.

In my opinion, batteries have about a 10 year lifespan. The CVT box about 120k.

It’s so hard to prove full service history from Japan. There may be many documents provided by the owner/importer that are linked to the vehicle, but unless one speaks Japanese, what they dictate is anyone’s guess.

Why not get an independent inspection (AA or RAC etc)? It may be money well spent.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Guys,

Hope all doing good. I have seen 3-4 estima cars so far and non of them have any authentic doc to prove the mileage was true.

Gone thru lots of sites and gathered information about auctions in Japan. Finally, throught an agent in Japan managed to secure a 2010 estima Hybrid with 93000 KM on the clock. The is G model with Sunroof, auction Grade 4B. No issues/problem as such  mentioned on auction sheet. Hoping to get the car into UK in next 3 months and another 4 weeks for rest of the process. Looking forward to see her.

Can some one share some info on Rear fog light please.... where exactly we need to install on the car and place to procure them. Would appreciate if some one can share photos of the installed rear fog light on their estima.

Many thanks.

Praveen Kota

Welcome.

If the agent is sourcing this for you, they should/could fit the fog for you alongside the mph conversion. Check which conversion they offer. Fogs can be placed in a variety of places. Some hanging from the rear bumper - and can easily be damaged.

Hi Paul,

Actually, this guy is in Japan and works for Auction company, they bid the auction and got the car for me. They mentioned at the start of process that, they only deal with the process in Japan until shipment is loaded and give us a tentative date of arrival. Rest I will have to do it on my own in UK.

Got few references of agents in UK, but they demanding huge money for conversion and paperwork. Am just think why not do it myself... such as HMRC and DVLA paperwork and fit the rear fog light and MOT.

Re. Mileage and speedo... I am thinking to leave it as is, dont want to distrub the orginal setting. I have read some threads that some have issues with speedo readings after conversions and issues with gear shift and eventually end up with more fuel consumption.

Any info on this would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

I too purchased from a dealer in Japan and then did all the leg work in the UK.

Good luck in dealing with HMRC, VOSA (if under 10 years old) & the DVLA. I found it quite hard work as things weren't clearcut for a newbe importer - at least, not when I imported mine in 2015.

I would simply fit a speedo cover onto the vehicle as you would be sure it reads accurately, and performs as it ought. Just be sure that, at each MOT, the tester records the km and not the miles!

When I was looking for a rear fog, LEDs were just becoming available. You can source a pair of reflective LED bumper lamps now that may be bright enough - I know others have. They simply replace the existing reflectors.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/19/2021 at 1:00 PM, Praveen kota said:

Hello guys,

Hope doing good. I am planning to buy 2008 Hybrid estima from my local Garage in Bedforshire. I have test driven one on the other day, fees things noticed and the selling couldn't answer the questions as he is not aware of them. I would greatly appreciate if some one can educate me on the same.

1. Head unit in Japanese, can we cange the settings to English?

2. When the car pulls out from stationary, can hear 'boom' sound in the cabin from rear under the vehicle. The guys tells me that, the rear wheel drive in the car is electrically engaged and will make some noise when starting to move, later on no noise is heard.

3. It is 2008 model and done 78000 miles so far, the seller has no information on hybrid battery pack. Will the battery pack be OK for some more time or required replacement any time soon in another year or so.

Many thanks in advance.

Praveen kota

On 11/16/2021 at 9:36 AM, Praveen kota said:

Hi Paul,

Actually, this guy is in Japan and works for Auction company, they bid the auction and got the car for me. They mentioned at the start of process that, they only deal with the process in Japan until shipment is loaded and give us a tentative date of arrival. Rest I will have to do it on my own in UK.

Got few references of agents in UK, but they demanding huge money for conversion and paperwork. Am just think why not do it myself... such as HMRC and DVLA paperwork and fit the rear fog light and MOT.

Re. Mileage and speedo... I am thinking to leave it as is, dont want to distrub the orginal setting. I have read some threads that some have issues with speedo readings after conversions and issues with gear shift and eventually end up with more fuel consumption.

Any info on this would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

Hi Praveen

which company you deal with in japan there are many on tcv but any auctioneer agent please forward some info to rako1859@gmail.com.

kind regards

Hi Praveen

which company you deal with in japan there are many on tcv but any auctioneer agent please forward some info to rako1859@gmail.com.

kind regards

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Praveen,

how have you got on with your journey in securing a Estima ? Has yours arrived ?

Hi John,

I have managed to secure 2010 Estima Hybrid. There are lot of issues with shipping these days due to Covid... some how I have managed to secured a slot and leaving on 29 Dec, this is a prepaid deal not post paid in UK.

Hey Praveen, good luck with your purchase, I hope everything goes smoothly for you !

Which Agent did you go with in the end ?

• 2 weeks later...

respect motors is who i deal with imported toyota estima hybrid 2012 takes time but well worth it now trying to find a comany to do my km to mph 

Hi Trevor,

Nice to know. My 2010 estima just boarded and will arrive into Southampton around 20 Feb. I am planning to leave the Kmph dial and odometer as is - dont want to change the orginal settings, if the conversion not done perfectly it could effect the gear shifting and end up in more fuel consumption. Got this info from one of the other forum.

Good luck. Praveen.

• 1 month later...

My Estima 2010, Finally arrived on drive way this morning. Started the processing in Oct 2021.

Need some info about Catalytic guard, Did any got this installed on their Estima? Is it really needed to protect from theft? Appreciate your valuable suggestions.

Many thanks.

Praveen Kota.

No idea...never really think about it tbh.

I don't think it's the sort of obvious vehicle that thieves go after.?.but I guess there's always a chance.

Had mine 6 years...no issues.

But I understand your caution.

Enjoy it.!