Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Hybrid 2.0 Normal or Sport Driving differences

bewA

So i know the difference that sport mode has over normal (quick throttle response/reaction and steering etc).

And i've tried both modes multiple times but to me driving in normal seems to have the quickest pickup compared to sport when you floor it. I'm not saying sport mode is broken or my car is broken as i would agree the throttle response is very much quicker but i think it's more of a feeling 😄

Am i just high or have others noticed that?

1 hour ago, bewA said:

So i know the difference that sport mode has over normal (quick throttle response/reaction and steering etc).

And i've tried both modes multiple times but to me driving in normal seems to have the quickest pickup compared to sport when you floor it. I'm not saying sport mode is broken or my car is broken as i would agree the throttle response is very much quicker but i think it's more of a feeling 😄

Am i just high or have others noticed that?

Hi, 

you can try driving in eco mode for a while and then push it hard and may surprise you how it feels, very similar to what you described. Perhaps it’s because when in eco or normal mode you get use to a smoother drive and less responsive throttle, then when you push you push more and harder and the car first is dead and then jumps like comes back to life, when in sport mode you just adopt to the car faster response and then after when you push it more it feels like uhh, not too fast 😉👌 

• Like 1

Sport Vs Normal/Eco in the 2.0 seems to me to be less dramatic difference than in the 1.8 Auris. The extra low down torque on the 1.8 was very noticeable in "Power" mode. I think it is more a case of the newer tech seems to use the Electric Motor assistance far more. Not really experimented much but nearly at 1K miles now so will try and do some comparisons on same road/same conditions. I also think that in normal driving, you wont notice the extra power and torque from the 2.0 HSD but more at higher speeds. Definitely on A road/Dual Carriageway/Motorway - joining and mid-range acceleration (50-70 MPH) the 2.0  is more drivable.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TonyHSD said:

Hi,

you can try driving in eco mode for a while and then push it hard and may surprise you how it feels, very similar to what you described. Perhaps it’s because when in eco or normal mode you get use to a smoother drive and less responsive throttle, then when you push you push more and harder and the car first is dead and then jumps like comes back to life, when in sport mode you just adopt to the car faster response and then after when you push it more it feels like uhh, not too fast 😉👌 

Thanks i'm glad i'm not totally insane, it's more of a feeling i guess than a technical/mechanical thing. 😄

The situation happened more recently yesterday when going from 40mph (slow car) to 60mph to overtake, I think i just wasn't expecting the "punch" with associated nice sounds from the engine 😄

• Like 2

Battery charge before initial acceleration also play a role in the car behaviour and how you can feel it. Even at high speeds the electric motors help a lot, I am usually a relaxed driver but sometimes do experiments and I had some hard acceleration from around 50-70mph pushed to the max done three times in a row and I noticed that Battery went down, almost completely drained, something that you will never see if you are driving smooth. 👍 Toyota hybrids are interesting cars, there is always something new and surprising. 😉

• Like 2

Most cars are a bit too neutered in the Eco mode but on my Corolla, it's actually quite driveable. I've been using Eco as my normal mode and flicking to sport for playing or for better pickup when negotiating busy junctions. Ironically, I've yet to discover the relevance of the 'Normal' mode.

• Like 2

Yeah I've also been using Eco as my default as it affords finer low-speed control. It's also handy because when my mates are all in the car I can switch it back to normal and not feel like the car's slower due to all their weight :laugh: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I tried Sport mode for the first time (2.0 litres here) and by goodness it was like a different car as opposed to the other two modes. The steering also stiffens on sport mode. 

Normal and eco i use for going round town on short journeys, but on a long journey, or national speed limit roads I'll use sport mode for the reaction times and agility it seems to give the car.

• 2 weeks later...

i just use eco around town, normal on motorways / dual carriageways and sort on country lanes, i find this works for me.

My dealer's courtesy vehicle is a C-HR with the same 2.0 engine. It has an analogue power meter in place of the rev counter and I can't find a mode selector anywhere. It responds quite strongly, I would say it sits somewhere between the normal and sport modes that the Corolla has.

1 hour ago, Red_Corolla said:

My dealer's courtesy vehicle is a C-HR with the same 2.0 engine. It has an analogue power meter in place of the rev counter and I can't find a mode selector anywhere. It responds quite strongly, I would say it sits somewhere between the normal and sport modes that the Corolla has.

In an Autocar review it mentions the following:

This is a feature we conveniently stumbled across when playing with the SUV’s trip settings on a recent jaunt to Suffolk. Deep within the C-HR’s on-board computer there’s a section that controls the three drive modes. Each time you start the engine, the Toyota flicks back to its default Normal setting – but explore things further and you’re also presented with a pair of presets called ‘Eco’ and ‘Sport’.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Rambler56 said:

In an Autocar review it mentions the following:

This is a feature we conveniently stumbled across when playing with the SUV’s trip settings on a recent jaunt to Suffolk. Deep within the C-HR’s on-board computer there’s a section that controls the three drive modes. Each time you start the engine, the Toyota flicks back to its default Normal setting – but explore things further and you’re also presented with a pair of presets called ‘Eco’ and ‘Sport’.

I see, thanks. I must say, I think the modes are far more useful when they can be switched quickly and easily. I also prefer the digital clocks that my Corolla has to the analog dials in the C-HR (it's a top spec Excel, BTW). But the C-HR trumps the Corolla with blind spot monitoring and, my favourite creature comfort, a heated steering wheel. Why oh why isn't this offered on UK Corollas!

The analogue dash is why I turned down the offer to switch from my Corolla to a C-HR. I posted in another thread that I consider physically analogue dials to be old fashioned.

• Like 1

I'm even worse - I find it awkward to even look down and focus at a normal dash speedo as I'm so used to driving Yarisisuseusises with their centre eyeline-mounted collimated digital displays for nearly 2 decades! Thank smeg the Mk4 has a HUD option is all I can say...!

• Like 1

Analogue dials are not a deal-breaker for me, I just find the driving sensation and seating position rather aloof whenever I try one of those SUV / crossover style vehicles. Nothing against the C-HR in particular, it's clearly a very good car. I've never liked 4x4s for the same reason.

• Like 1

If you want POWER while in Normal or Eco, just use the paddle shifts on steering wheel…left paddle will drop the car to "4th gear" facsimile,

for instant overtaking….it will then revert to Drive or "5th" (ha-ha)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, barrycoll said:

If you want POWER while in Normal or Eco, just use the paddle shifts on steering wheel…left paddle will drop the car to "4th gear" facsimile,

for instant overtaking….it will then revert to Drive or "5th" (ha-ha)

sadly no paddle shifts on mine .. ☹️

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links