Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine oil overfilled?

Davidhee58

I'm sure there are some good dealers, they just all seem to be 'up norf' :laugh: 

And although they often miss stuff, Jemca have at least been doing the core work of oil and air filter changes properly and accurately on all the cars I've given them. (I know because I always check before I leave, which I really shouldn't need to do but that's where I'm at with them...)

2 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

All good about dealers is simply said “on paper “. In reality things can be very different. This also apply to independent garages . We all know that is ultra difficult to find a trusted mechanic, someone who take pride of what they are doing and then the profits. There are some, but it’s a rare occurrence. And of course not all dealers are bad, again depends on the people who work there. Service manager might be a good man but the mechanic who works on your car could be a dodgy b..rd who only thinks how not to work and earn his living. 

Service manager might be a good man but the mechanic who works on your car could be a dodgy b..rd who only thinks how not to work and earn his living. 

very true 

• Thanks 1

Probably better when dealers were independent small business rather than chains. Our local Toyota dealer used to be just that and had a great reputation, you could speak to someone who actually gave a .....! Those days are long gone 😭

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Saxmaniac said:

Probably better when dealers were independent small business rather than chains. Our local Toyota dealer used to be just that and had a great reputation, you could speak to someone who actually gave a .....! Those days are long gone 😭

Dealership chains are not a new thing, that has been the case for as long as I can remember.

On 5/14/2022 at 10:40 AM, fourbanks said:

All main Toyota dealers work to the same standard. Toyota has a company don't do half measures and any manager failing the customer would find the loss of the franchise

I will have to agree to disagree. My car was in for service one week before the 5 years warranty expired. Reported, by phone, that the engine rear main seal was leaking, "That will be £700+ to change sir."

When I pointed out the car was still within the 5 years and surely covered. "Oh, I'll phone back." It then changed to "Our "Master Tech" has just checked and it's fine!"

Never entered their portal again, coffee and biscuits, free wifi or not.

Oil level, with my engine, cold or a few minutes after stopping, level ground, still shows different on each side of the dipstick.:rolleyes:

Until I know differently I am prepared to trust my Toyota dealership, I am a new owner of an Aygo but they have worked on a Toyota MR2 many years ago and i had no reason to complain.  When I had my Honda Civic many years ago I used the local Honda dealership and they were simply awful, so much so that when I purchased my Honda CRV I drove 120 miles to do so and continued to have the CRV serviced there for another three years.  The fact I was prepared to make a 240 mile round trip to avoid my local dealership says lot for their service levels.   After three years of ownership was up I had a problem with the Battery and reluctantly returned to the the local dealership, it did not go well.  I complained as I had done many times earlier but this time I was invited into the managers office.  I told him my story and tried to explain why I was so upset on what was a minor issue and to my surprise he immediately understood.  He admitted that to get any reasonable service in the dealership your 'face would have to fit' his words not mine.  He also said he was horrified when he took over managing the branch and felt ashamed at how customers had been treated,  He sorted my problem and the end result was I later purchased a 5 year service agreement and an extended warranty and all the servicing and warranty work was done there.    What it highlighted to me was it was not the brand that was the issue but how the local dealership was run.

• Like 2

Yup, that is the crux of the issue; While they are all under the Toyota umbrella, the difference in customer service levels and technical knowledge are vastly different across the different franchises and even individual sites in the same franchise!

They aren't all bad, but they aren't all good either...

• Like 1

Interesting points on this thread.  Reminds me of my experience with dealer servicing:

You'll see on the Toyota service sheet that the 'full' service includes a 'four wheel alignment check'.  Some years ago, I had reason to doubt that this had been done, so started to ask for a print-out of the alignment report.  The consequences of this were interesting.  Invariably, the initial response I got was "that's not part of the service sir . . ", to which I referred them to their own service sheet.  One dealer didn't have the laser checker, so had to out-source the check to a local tyre depot;  another dealer had the laser equipment, but no staff who appeared to know how to use it, or understand the results.  My conclusion was that this check was routinely not being done at these two dealerships.  I'd be interested to hear whether anyone else on this forum has had more positive experience of this.

• Like 2

I never liked dealers service names and types of car servicing procedures. Those  had never been clear what and how but only have fancy names. What I like though is complete description of parts that will need replacement or check and what the check exactly mean? Battery health check on hybrids for example?! More clarity better image for the garage and better understanding by the customer, and all that equals better trust and better name. The car trade has always been in the dark side of the business, very few are open and honest with their service and it’s a real treasure when you find one like that. 

5 hours ago, Cheaky said:

Interesting points on this thread.  Reminds me of my experience with dealer servicing:

You'll see on the Toyota service sheet that the 'full' service includes a 'four wheel alignment check'.  Some years ago, I had reason to doubt that this had been done, so started to ask for a print-out of the alignment report.  The consequences of this were interesting.  Invariably, the initial response I got was "that's not part of the service sir . . ", to which I referred them to their own service sheet.  One dealer didn't have the laser checker, so had to out-source the check to a local tyre depot;  another dealer had the laser equipment, but no staff who appeared to know how to use it, or understand the results.  My conclusion was that this check was routinely not being done at these two dealerships.  I'd be interested to hear whether anyone else on this forum has had more positive experience of this.

Reminds me of a story some years ago where my sister took her car to a branch of a car servicing chain for an MOT which they promptly failed on emissions and wanted hundreds of pounds to repair.  She rang me in a panic so I suggested that she get a second opinion from a one man operation I used for years.  He took a look but did not have the expertise so in turn took it to the MOT testing station he used for all his testing needs and the result was the car passed.  When asked about how that could be the case he explained that the test results given to my sister were not only incorrect they were not even for her car.   The original testing station denied this was the case but not only refunded the cost of the original test but also gave my sister a sizable sum as recompense for all the hassle that she had gone through but only on the basis that she return the emissions read out.  Strangely the garage in question went bust within the year so I guess my sister was not the only one who were not happy with the service.

• Like 1

My engine has been overfilled too at 106k (prev serviced 67k, 83k) but it was my fault as I told the mechanic to use 4.2l (which is what I thought is the capacity) and have got the reading which is around 5mm over the top mark of the dip stick. The rear smears when I  take it out. However, I only paid £15 for my oil service so not too fussed.

About Toyota dealers, if you read some of my previous posts, you'll know that I went to Toyota Huddersfield (RRG group) a few days after buying my car from them when I noticed the coolant was low. It had apparently been serviced before being sold to me so I was puzzled as to why the coolant would be low. They inspected the car which took them a couple of hours and then they sent the receptionist out (NOT a TECH) to insist that the coolant level was correct and no issues identified. This was a FLAT OUT LIE which they obviously knew when they rolled out the receptionist. My independent mechanic told me my water pump was on the way out which explained the low coolant and also the pink stains under the car. Huddersfield Toyota LIED to me so they would not have to fix the water pump under warranty. My car could have overheated and killed the engine, but they obviously did not care about this. TOTAL SCUMBAGS. 

1 hour ago, ziauris said:

My engine has been overfilled too at 106k (prev serviced 67k, 83k) but it was my fault as I told the mechanic to use 4.2l (which is what I thought is the capacity) and have got the reading which is around 5mm over the top mark of the dip stick. The rear smears when I  take it out. However, I only paid £15 for my oil service so not too fussed.

About Toyota dealers, if you read some of my previous posts, you'll know that I went to Toyota Huddersfield (RRG group) a few days after buying my car from them when I noticed the coolant was low. It had apparently been serviced before being sold to me so I was puzzled as to why the coolant would be low. They inspected the car which took them a couple of hours and then they sent the receptionist out (NOT a TECH) to insist that the coolant level was correct and no issues identified. This was a FLAT OUT LIE which they obviously knew when they rolled out the receptionist. My independent mechanic told me my water pump was on the way out which explained the low coolant and also the pink stains under the car. Huddersfield Toyota LIED to me so they would not have to fix the water pump under warranty. My car could have overheated and killed the engine, but they obviously did not care about this. TOTAL SCUMBAGS. 

As i have said before, anything like this should be reported to head office so that the necessary action can be taken