Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Aygo - Fuel Pump Relay?

Cribus

Hi, This is my first post.  I've been an Aygo owner for years but this is the first time I've needed help and couldn't find the answer (usually on this site!)

My Aygo is a 2009 petrol model, only 30k miles, and recently it started running roughly, misfiring and cutting out now and again.  Now the car won't fire up at all, it turns over fine on the starter but doesn't fire up.  I noticed recently that when I turned the key I would sometimes hear the fuel pump, sometimes not, and now I don't hear it at all (I've lifted the back seat to make it easier to hear).  So presumably the pump or its relay are the most likely candidates.  I have a spare fuel pump relay to try first, but I just can't find the relay anywhere in the car!  Can anyone direct me?

I've tried the fusebox in the engine compartment and behind the dash on the right hand side, but I just don't see it.  Some people have mentioned online that some Aygo's have a separate relay box under the bonnet, in the area beneath the nearside headlight, but there is nothing there on my car.  Before I noticed the lack of noise from the fuel pump I had already tried new cam and crank sensors.  Just to be clear, when I turn the key the engine turns over fine, plenty of strength in the (new) Battery, but the engine just never fires up.

I've tried the Haynes manual but that hasn't given me any other suggestions for its location.  Wiring diagrams online seem to show it either mounted into the side of the fusebox in the engine bay, or in a separate relay box near the left headlight.  It's often marked as 'R4' in those diagrams.  But no joy in my car.  Any ideas please as I have none left!!  Many thanks, Chris.          

Hello, Did not find so far in my docs the fuse for fuel pump, but apparently R4 the relay part of the hidden "fuse box BF01 with soldered 4 relays module" under the engine compartment fuse box.   ( https://fuse-box.info/toyota/toyota-aygo-ab10-2005-2014-fuses-and-relay )

May be surfing on the parts catalog (with your VIN) may help locating parts : http://europe.toylexparts.com/aygo/101510/kgb10l-agggkw/526w/001/4/8401

Also i found in my archives this thread without warranty having a diagram discussing BF01 and content (while mismatch with assignment R3 or R4 ...)  this may give some clues to test few checkpoints ?

Relay panel fuse box inner board and relay.jpg

fuse box BF01 Relays R1 R2 R3 R4.png

detail R4.jpg

• Like 1

Wow those ideas and links are really useful, thanks!  Looking at my car I can see that the fusebox is in two parts, held together by clips, so I need to get it out of the confined space and split it, and see what's inside.  I will update as soon as I have done that.  Thanks again!    

The relays are solid state they either work or they don't i would replace the pump first given the symptoms, you may find hitting the fuel pump brings it back to life

if you run the tank low/dry too often you will burn a pump out, try and leave 1/4 of a tank in the car as the fuel cools the pump

i take it you have fuel in the car and not misfuelled it with diesel by mistake

• Like 1

Thanks for that, yes it's definitely petrol in the car rather than diesel and there's plenty in the tank.  I don't tend to run it low, I get restless by the time it gets down to 1/4 tank!  

Splitting the fuse box is proving really difficult on my car without breaking the clips off, and without doing that there is just no sign of the relays shown in the photo.  They must really be hidden down in the body of it somewhere.  So I may well try the pump first.  I tried thumping it but no joy.

Hoping to have another look at the weekend, I'll update once I have progress.  Thanks again.   

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Hi, I am also experiencing issues with my aygo(2006) it started running roughly, misfiring and eventually it doesn’t start up. It cranks but the fuel pump does not activate. I measured the voltage going to the fuel pump when the ignition is turned on and got nothing. I tried feeding electricity directly into the fuel pump and sure enough it gives off a low buzzing sound. So I have concluded that there might be a problem with the relay. I cannot however get to it and am wondering if anyone here knows how to get to it, test it and replace it.

• 1 year later...

Hi I'm I've been having a rattle under the car but not the exhaust... last week the car wouldn't start but changed the plugs and its working again. Could the rattle/ popping be the fuel pump?

• 3 months later...

Hi all 

Did any one find were the realys are has trying to find them my self with no luck thanks steven

There is no relay at least in the first generation. 

4 hours ago, tsikis007 said:

There is no relay at least in the first generation. 

That is incorrect, the fuel pump relay is an internal solid state relay built in to the main fuse box as pictured above

if you have a crank no start check that you have spark, if not It's likely to be an immobilizer issue

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links